What to do on your lunch break with your brand new Dakar

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_wes

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Harley Davidson (all models)
Ok, so 1. I'm running it in and 2. I'm getting used to riding a "big" bike with gears, etc. So that, coupled with the fact that our office is undergoing construction so is dusty and stinks, I decided to utilise my lunch hour and grab some fresh air.

I took Eisbein's advice and headed to Vissershok road (my offices are in Century City). So from Century City I headed to the N7, went all the way up and turned right onto Vissershok. On Vissershok I was very impressed at how both the bike and I handled the bends - my confidence growing km for km.

Eventually I hit the 4 way stop where straight takes you on to Durbanville.

I turned left.

After a while and more twisties I hit some gravel.

Now, I have no idea how to ride gravel. I know ABS is not a good idea, so I stopped to disengage my ABS. And I'd heard something about using the back brake instead of the front brake, so I kept that thought in my mind. I mean, I really don't know what I'm doing - you okes are going to have to teach me.

Anyways, the gravel was hard-packed, short and fun, after it I saw a sign that said Durbanville - right.

I headed right.

And realised I had no idea where I was.

In any event I figured if I kept going straight I'd find Durbanville, so I did, and I found it eventually. From there I headed up Durban road, onto the N1 and hauled ass back to work, just in time.

The pics:

I promised you guys a decent pic of the bike, here are 2:

dsc02060ei2.jpg

dsc02061mm3.jpg

More ridiculously happy, thumbs-upping from the_wes:

dsc02065cr2.jpg

And the 100km mark:

dsc02064cr2.jpg

That's it for now folks, stay tuned!!