Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: So, my ride for the weekend, Tiger XC...  (Read 4583 times)

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
So, my ride for the weekend, Tiger XC...
« on: February 06, 2011, 07:40:07 pm »
I don’t normally post bike tests I do because they are initially the property of Biker Lifestyle, however I have been asked by the big cheese to post this one, just a loose draft and a few quick pictures for now, to be quite honest I was having too much fun riding the bike to actually stop for pictures the whole time, I promise to take better ones at the press launch on Wednesday.
I, along with quite a few WDs, have been waiting in anticipation for the latest offering from Triumph for quite some time, this weekend we were lucky enough to score BOTH models, we needed them for the centerfold photoshoot…so, on Friday the XC was dropped off at my place….cool..I was going to use it for training on Saturday, what better place to see what it’s about. (Don’t park a bike like this in my driveway and expect me to just leave it there all clean and shiny)
Well, my short quick ride to the filling station gave the first inkling of what this triple was about…it is sweet, smooth and begs to be revved. So, Saturday morning I headed off for our offroad training at Danielsrust in Magalies…Ok…enough teasing…

This 800 is simply amazing to ride, on the highway it will cruise at whatever speed you want, wind protection at speed is adequate, I am tall and the wind hits just above my visor, slight pressure on the shoulders, great for vented jackets in the heat of the day. Off the highway I found myself wishing for the robots to turn red, just so that I could scream off the line, that triple has an amazing sound, coupled with a gruff intake roar as it revs to just under 10 000rpm, although the exhaust is standard it emits a reasonable scream, which would only sound better with an aftermarket creation, the motor is silky smooth, with a discernable increase in urgency around 6000rpm.
Enough with the tar roads now….onto the dirt I found the 800 tracked well, I had already set up the rear shock to make it firmer, the front forks are not adjustable but appear to be quite firm, not the huge dive experienced on it’s rival in the market. The motor does not have huge low rev torque though, through technical stuff a fair amount of throttle/clutch juggling is required, but once you have adapted to this way of riding the Triumph is very good, it goes where you aim it without any fuss. I did a few ‘step – ups’ and ‘step – downs’ and did not bottom it out once, ground clearance is ample, this XC came fitted with Triumph’s bashplate and crashbars. Tyres were Bridgestome Battlewings, not my tyre of choice, they were pretty slippery at times, nothing a decent set of 50/50 tyres wouldn’t cure though.

Low speed maneuverability was very good, cones and figure 8’s were easy, the Triumph has a good turning circle, throttle response is good, no snatchiness  or fear of stalling.
The XC came without ABS, I understand later models will have it fitted. Double discs up front and a fair sized rear disc, brake response is top class with minimal nose dive.
Our training day ended with a detour through a big mud hole…the Triumph started the day all pristine, ended it off with some mud therapy..

After a long day of training the road home is normally a sore butt/sore body trip, not so this time, I contemplated taking a longer alternative route home, maybe a route with lots of stop/starts…the saddle is very comfortable, sitting position is ideal, however I would fit bar raisers, standing had me a bit crouched over.
The XC came fitted with bash plate, crash bars, extra spotlights and a headlight protector, all available ex-Triumph, all I would add would be stronger hand guards and more offroad orientated tyres. It already has wide foot pegs with removable rubber inserts.

Triumph is going to take quite a bit of market share from the opposition for sure, the Tiger 800 has been a long time coming, but well worth the wait.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 07:55:41 pm by Adventurer »
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline Trailrider

• Southern Cape
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
  • "Africa Twin Lite"
    • Trailrider
Re: So, my ride for the weekend, Tiger XC...
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 07:51:12 pm »
Interesting write-up :thumleft:

Offline Lootch67

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 07:54:22 pm »
Sat on one at a bike show here in London over the weekend and I have to say I much prefer it over the BM. For starters the seat is much better and the standard screen also looks like it'll do a much better job than the one on the BM.
98 Black AT & the wheel from a 04 KLR 650.

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 07:55:15 pm »

I would love to do a head to head test with the GS, both have pro's and con's.......what really stood out for me on the XC.....it has SOUL! 8)
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 07:58:13 pm »
Sat on one at a bike show here in London over the weekend and I have to say I much prefer it over the BM. For starters the seat is much better and the standard screen also looks like it'll do a much better job than the one on the BM.

+1, I would not change either....the seat is height adjustable as well. The screen is not adjustable, but works fine just the way it is. I had it over 170, sitting up...no issue.

Offline Trailrider

• Southern Cape
  • Bachelor Dog
  • "Africa Twin Lite"
    • Trailrider
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 08:00:21 pm »

I would love to do a head to head test with the GS, both have pro's and con's.......what really stood out for me on the XC.....it has SOUL! 8)

Is the sound similar to the Tiger?

Offline RedWolf

• Bike: Triumph (all models)
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 08:05:57 pm »
Nice
Trust that little voice in your head that says 'Wouldn't it be interesting if...'; And then do it.

Offline laurika

• hoessenaam van hydrabad...
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • helmet hair is very cool....everyone says so
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 09:27:56 pm »
i wondered Kurt , what is truimph service availability like...would one battle to get a dealership that could service this bike?

"There is no happiness for him who does not travel...Therefore, wander... The fortune of him who is sitting sits, it rises when he rises, it sleeps when he sleeps, it moves when he moves... Therefore, wander!"...The Rig Veda - 800 - 600 BC..

bmw F650GS/ XT 660 R

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011, 10:44:53 pm »

Uuhm, it is a Tiger..... :biggrin:

If you are referring to the 955 or the 1050 Tiger, then yes, it sounds the same, all being triples....it even has a nice pop pop pop on deacceleration.... 8)

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2011, 10:51:00 pm »
i wondered Kurt , what is truimph service availability like...would one battle to get a dealership that could service this bike?

From what I've heard it is not bad, most official Kawasaki agents are also Triumph agents, there are also a select few 'Triumph only' dealerships.
A freind of mine has been riding triumphs since the 955i was launched, on his 2nd 1050, he swears by them, has had very little if any hassles with his bikes, his daughter has also only owned Triumph, smaller road bikes though, also had no hassles.
I was never a fan of the 955 only because of the very soft front suspension, and the 1050 because it was a road bike, and was a bit sceptical of the 800 Tiger...but having spent some time with it this weekend, I think Triumph have finally designed a very good DS bike..

Offline Trailrider

• Southern Cape
  • Bachelor Dog
  • "Africa Twin Lite"
    • Trailrider
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2011, 11:01:06 pm »

If you are referring to the 955 or the 1050 Tiger, then yes, it sounds the same, all being triples....it even has a nice pop pop pop on deacceleration.... 8)

That's what I meant yes. I LOVE that sound!

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2011, 11:07:12 pm »

That's what I meant yes. I LOVE that sound!

I know....jes pulling your chain....yes, that sound of a screaming triple is addictive... 8)

Offline IDR

• <insert bias disclaimer here>
  • Administrator
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2011, 11:08:09 pm »
Great write-up man!  I just want to point out one or two things before you go to press ;D

The red bike is also fitted with a center-stand - they don't come with those from the factory.

The ABS versions are not in production yet - they are only starting production of those in March as far as I know.  Once the ABS models are shipping (I understand the first SA shipment arrives in April), then NO MORE non-ABS units will be imported, although they will still be produced by Triumph.  If you want a non-ABS model, you would have to arrange for one to be imported for you specifically.

Laurika - there are numerous Triumph-dealerships in the Gauteng area:
Mean Machine in Pretoria, Centurion Lifestyle, Fourways Triumph, and then the flagship Traditional Triumph in Edenvale.

Adv, I've been wondering, and seeing the bike so full of mud - do you think that one of the first things owners should do is to fit some type of mudguard to the rear wheel?  The linkage and shock seem quite exposed to me.

GREAT write-up though :thumleft:
The three things you need to fix anything in the universe: duct tape, WD-40 and a hammer.  If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.  If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.  Otherwise use the hammer.

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2011, 11:42:49 pm »
IDR, both models had centrestand fitted as 'add-ons', but on that note TRiumph should fit stronger springs, the centrestand tends to rattle up and down in rough terrain quite a bit.
Yes, you have a point, some sort of rear shock protection would be nice, it does tend to get quite a lot of mud...

There are a few niggles I have, and I will enquire about them at the press launch this week.

Offline White Rhino

• Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • Save the White Rhino
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2011, 05:41:35 am »
Good review Adv. That was the first off-road write-up I have read. Could the "niggles" be part 2?

I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy
Nothing clears the head like a throttle twisted and the fresh air on the tip of the nose

Beta 300RR, WR450 Rallye, KTM990 Adv, HP2, HPN635, 1200GS LC

Offline popipants

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
  • I came; I saw; I slept
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2011, 06:07:11 am »
Nice write up.
Seeing these pictures. I don't like the lights anymore.
They looked good in the marketing pictures. But they seem to big in your pics Adv.

I don't see many guy's selling their 800's for them, but it sure will take some new sales from the 800?

Wonder if this bike will not become a ladies bike, kind of like the 650GS twin? Does seem very nicely suited for girls, specially the lower seating.

Now where's KTM's 790?

I've been on the Jameson diet for a week, so far I've lost 7 days....

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2011, 07:40:18 am »
I'm sure the standard 800 Tiger will attract a few female customers, it is lower than the XC but has a 19" front wheel..I really don't think the XC can be touted as a 'girl's bike'...
Yup, the lights are big, but....all the better to see with..they are powered by 2 H4 globes and are very bright, this model I had was fitted with extra spotlights, perhaps making the lights look bigger...
It also has a headlight protector, again making everything look bigger...perhaps the pictures don't do it justice, they look very good IMO.

Offline letsgofishing

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
  • Sedgefield, Garden Route
    • http://www.mikekaplandesign.com
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2011, 07:51:16 am »
Thanks Adventurer - looking forward to part 2  :thumleft:
There is nothing you can do about the past and you can't predict the future...all you have is the now...live it to the fullest.

www.mikekaplandesign.com

Offline popipants

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
  • I came; I saw; I slept
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2011, 08:04:33 am »
I'm sure the standard 800 Tiger will attract a few female customers, it is lower than the XC but has a 19" front wheel..I really don't think the XC can be touted as a 'girl's bike'...
Yup, the lights are big, but....all the better to see with..they are powered by 2 H4 globes and are very bright, this model I had was fitted with extra spotlights, perhaps making the lights look bigger...
It also has a headlight protector, again making everything look bigger...perhaps the pictures don't do it justice, they look very good IMO.

Just had a look at the other pictures. I think it is the headlight protector making the lights look funny.
I've been on the Jameson diet for a week, so far I've lost 7 days....

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2011, 08:21:16 am »

Just had a look at the other pictures. I think it is the headlight protector making the lights look funny.

It's kinda like a 'chesty' woman....you either smaak it or you don't... :biggrin: