Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: So, my ride for the weekend, Tiger XC...  (Read 4584 times)

Offline popipants

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
  • I came; I saw; I slept
Re: So, my ride for the weekend, Tiger XC...
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2011, 07:35:18 pm »
Wonder if this bike will not become a ladies bike, kind of like the 650GS twin? Does seem very nicely suited for girls, specially the lower seating.

I don't think so, especially not the XC - it's seat height is 840 mm in the low position - which, even for a larger lady like you, is quite high.  There are obviously lowering kits for both the 800 and the XC to help those legs reach the ground, but for someone shorter I would seriously suggest rather looking at the 800.

:biggrin:

Nice spin, but you still gonna have a ladies bike  :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:
I've been on the Jameson diet for a week, so far I've lost 7 days....

Offline popipants

• I came; I saw; I slept
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2011, 07:37:11 pm »
I already like it very much!

It looks like the Tiger XC (or even the plain one) might replace the 800GS as the default upgrade for KLR folk like me  :thumleft:

I'll definitely try and get a test ride next time I'm up in Gauteng.

Default upgrade?
How do you go from a 40K bike to a 120K bike in a default upgrade?

Offline popipants

• I came; I saw; I slept
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2011, 07:37:56 pm »
I'm sure the standard 800 Tiger will attract a few female customers, it is lower than the XC but has a 19" front wheel..I really don't think the XC can be touted as a 'girl's bike'...
Yup, the lights are big, but....all the better to see with..they are powered by 2 H4 globes and are very bright, this model I had was fitted with extra spotlights, perhaps making the lights look bigger...
It also has a headlight protector, again making everything look bigger...perhaps the pictures don't do it justice, they look very good IMO.

Just had a look at the other pictures. I think it is the headlight protector making the lights look funny.

It's kinda like a 'chesty' woman....you either smaak it or you don't... :biggrin:
always with the 'chesty' Kurt? tsk... :imaposer:.

Nah.....just had to phrase it an way the WD's understand.... :biggrin:

Now i understand :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:Good one Kurt.

'chesty' ?! those protectors does not leave much women. It is ALL chest!!

Offline Slaaiblaar

« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2011, 07:53:57 pm »
I like this bike!!!
Only problem I see is that farkles are going to be very expensive. ( but on the other hand ain't in expensive for all bikes?)

Offline Kawasefi

• Bike: Kawasaki Versys
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2011, 08:07:15 pm »

It looks like the Tiger XC (or even the plain one) might replace the 800GS as the default upgrade for KLR folk like me  :thumleft:

Default upgrade?

I personally know a few people who have upgraded from KLR's to the 800, there ain't really anyting inbetween. Maybe a Transalp but that's too road biased for most, and I don't know anyone who traded a KLR for a TA either.

Offline IDR

• <insert bias disclaimer here>
  • Administrator
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2011, 08:15:41 pm »

Default upgrade?

120 k?? Maybe for the GS, but the 800 XC with ABS is R 110k
The three things you need to fix anything in the universe: duct tape, WD-40 and a hammer.  If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.  If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.  Otherwise use the hammer.

Offline popipants

• I came; I saw; I slept
« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2011, 08:29:49 pm »

Default upgrade?

That is just the bike. Then you still need to kit it.
I think the success of the XC will be in the hands of the after market manufacturer.
That is what makes BMW's, KTM's and even KLR's popular, the large selection of non EOM after market products.

Offline rubiblue

« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2011, 08:37:34 pm »
Looks good, thought pricing would be a little lower - but still seems like good value.
Will have a good appeal to a certain market. Has a lot to prove, will keep an eye open to see how it plays out.
Only issue I would maybe have is servicing, but as Adv says that should not be an issue.
Good competitor agansut the 800GS, when are Ktm going to bring out a baby twin?
Competition always improves quality, reliability and general value for money.
Past; PW50,PW80,YZ80,KX80,KDX200,CR125,KX125,KTM250SX,KTM250XCW, F800GS
Current; KTM790R, KTM300TPI, KTM450XCW

Offline IDR

• Administrator
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2011, 09:01:19 pm »

It looks like the Tiger XC (or even the plain one) might replace the 800GS as the default upgrade for KLR folk like me  :thumleft:

Default upgrade?

I think the success of the XC will be in the hands of the after market manufacturer.
That is what makes BMW's, KTM's and even KLR's popular, the large selection of non EOM after market products.

The problem is, judging by this report - and correct me if I'm wrong - starting off, to get the 800 GS to the usability level of the XC, you need to spend a whole wad of cash on a better screen and the front suspension??

What % of new 800 GS owners spend that money off the bat?

Edit: but to address your point, I think the Triumph aftermarket options are quite nice - and not too exorbitant (I'll see if I can get hold of a pricelist though)... and Touratech have already got a full catalogue for it.  Sure the others will follow in due course.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 09:03:11 pm by IDR »
The three things you need to fix anything in the universe: duct tape, WD-40 and a hammer.  If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.  If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.  Otherwise use the hammer.

GreenMamba1974

« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2011, 09:15:44 pm »

Default upgrade?

I personally know a few people who have upgraded from KLR's to the 800, there ain't really anyting inbetween. Maybe a Transalp but that's too road biased for most, and I don't know anyone who traded a KLR for a TA either.

have you tried a xt660z yet?

Offline popipants

• I came; I saw; I slept
« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2011, 09:19:51 pm »

Default upgrade?

The problem is, judging by this report - and correct me if I'm wrong - starting off, to get the 800 GS to the usability level of the XC, you need to spend a whole wad of cash on a better screen and the front suspension??

What % of new 800 GS owners spend that money off the bat?

Edit: but to address your point, I think the Triumph aftermarket options are quite nice - and not too exorbitant (I'll see if I can get hold of a pricelist though)... and Touratech have already got a full catalogue for it.  Sure the others will follow in due course.

Don't really agree.

I haven't changed my screen or my front suspension. And I'm very happy with mine.
All I changed is the bash plate and hand guards. Which if you buy from Hentie is included in the price.
It depends on what you want to use the bike for if you do mostly touring then change the screen and leave the bash plate.

The same will apply for the XC, where will it spend most of it's time? If it is mostly tar then you're good to go out the box.
If you want to go more offroad then you gonna have to spend some money.

What I was saying is.....there's a lot of manufacturers of nice "stuff" for the BM's and KTM's (not counting the manufacturer and Touratech) at very good price's. If Truimph can get these guys to make stuff for the XC, then it will be really competitive.

Nobody wants to spend 14k on panniers ect...
So I hope people like Wild@hart and SW motech comes to the party!

Offline popipants

• I came; I saw; I slept
« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2011, 09:27:48 pm »
I also hope that the XC has less teething problems, there were lots of problems and recalls with the first batch of 800's

Offline IDR

• Administrator
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2011, 09:34:48 pm »
Sheesh, I'm sure they will.  The bike hasn't been available for a month yet - even shorter in the Northern hemisphere - so there hasn't really been much time to develop anything.  But I'm sure it will come.

I also think (HOPE!) that there wouldn't be any teething problems - as far as I know Triumph don't suffer from many manufacturing issues - but this is obviously something that might sour the deal a little.  A comforting fact is that, if there ARE any recalls or other issues, that I wouldn't have to deal with BMWSA ;D

Isn't the 800 GS STILL having issues with water pumps? ;)

Offline GIDEON

• Born in the year of the Tiger
  • Bike: Triumph 800 XC
  • Bikes est dans mon sang
« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2011, 09:39:24 pm »
Also very nice in the Superbike mag, there is mention of two gear settings something or another
you can get one for even MORE technical but that will influence top speed and the standard one.
They really outdid themselves.

Nobody can be exactly like me. Sometimes even I have trouble doing it.

Offline popipants

• I came; I saw; I slept
« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2011, 09:42:49 pm »
Sheesh, I'm sure they will.  The bike hasn't been available for a month yet - even shorter in the Northern hemisphere - so there hasn't really been much time to develop anything.  But I'm sure it will come.

I also think (HOPE!) that there wouldn't be any teething problems - as far as I know Triumph don't suffer from many manufacturing issues - but this is obviously something that might sour the deal a little.  A comforting fact is that, if there ARE any recalls or other issues, that I wouldn't have to deal with BMWSA ;D

Isn't the 800 GS STILL having issues with water pumps? ;)

I'm gonna crack myself it it uses oil   :pot: :pot: :pot: :pot: :pot: :pot:
Now all you need is for your "house mate" to let you ride the new bike!!!  (I mean commune)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 09:44:01 pm by popipants »

Offline Kawasefi

« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2011, 10:00:27 pm »
Now all you need is for your "house mate" to let you ride the new bike!!!  (I mean commune)

You see, in that case the KLR upgradees will feel right at home already  :imaposer:

The Ténéré is a terrific bike, but going from a 650 single to a 660 single ain't much of an upgrade, most people will want to upgrade to a twin at least. For R15k extra you can now get a triple!  :thumleft:

GreenMamba1974

« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2011, 10:11:56 pm »
Now all you need is for your "house mate" to let you ride the new bike!!!  (I mean commune)

You see, in that case the KLR upgradees will feel right at home already  :imaposer:

The Ténéré is a terrific bike, but going from a 650 single to a 660 single ain't much of an upgrade, most people will want to upgrade to a twin at least. For R15k extra you can now get a triple!  :thumleft:

i don't want to be argumentative, but i have to ask, have you ridden these larger cc twins on technical stuff?   it's only my opinion, but sometimes all that extra power can be less fun and more work to control.  the xt is more than an engine, it's the sum of it's parts that work so well in combo, it's not the same as a klr.

just my 2c, peace  ;) :thumleft:
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 10:12:46 pm by SnakeyXT »

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2011, 10:24:45 pm »
Where do some guys get this 'lady's bike' kark from? What makes the XC a lady's bike? NOTHING about the bike strikes me as being aimed at the feminine market. The standard Tiger perhaps, but certainly not the XC.
Regarding aftermarket parts, Triumph have most items covered for now, and I'm sure SW Motech will have stuff very quickly....they did with the Super Tenere, and some very good stuff too.
Luggage is still an issue I understand, but SW Motech merely need to design a set of frames and off they go, panniers already exist.
Yes, when you buy either Tiger model you need to spend extra if you want to go off road, but the same goes for the GS...both come with plastic bash protectors standard, neither come standard with crashbars or hand protectors, much less a headlight protector. Only the GS comes with a centrestand, which neither Tiger has, BUT...the Tiger has better front suspension, no need to upgrade for the tough stuff....the Tiger saddle is FAR more comfortable, the screen is WAY better......AND....the throttle is very smooth....By the time you've bought an XC and blinged it with crashbars, proper bashplate, (handguards are standard on the XC) centrestand and a headlight protector, you are probably just at the same price as a standard GS before the extras are added.
Then....if you buy non Triumph extras which will be available soon, you will save even more money..
BTW, the power point on the XC can handle a compressor straight off the shop floor...(just a small note...)

Ohhhh, the cat is amongst the pigeons now...... :biggrin:

There will always be the BMW following, and make no mistake, the GS is a very good bike, but the Triumph has been thrown in as direct competition, a very worthy adversary IMO...competition is always good....first the Super Tenere arrived to give the 1200 GS stick, now the Tiger has joined the fray....I see good times ahead for the biking fraternity....
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline Kawasefi

« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2011, 10:28:58 pm »
i don't want to be argumentative, but i have to ask, have you ridden these larger cc twins on technical stuff?   it's only my opinion, but sometimes all that extra power can be less fun and more work to control.  the xt is more than an engine, it's the sum of it's parts that work so well in combo, it's not the same as a klr.

Nope, I haven't, only on tar.

But let me explain with what I mean with "upgrade": Trading your KLR for a 660Z is like trading your old 3-series for the latest C-class because it's better in every respect, but still in the same class. Trading your KLR for a 800GS or the new XC is like trading (upgrading) your 3-series to a 5-series or E-Class, thus a class up from what you had. (whether the 5-series handles better or worse than a 3-series in the twisties is not the point, it's still an upgrade)

Cheers, I've gotta go dream about the Tiger now  ;D

GreenMamba1974

« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2011, 10:35:05 pm »

Nope, I haven't, only on tar.

But let me explain with what I mean with "upgrade": Trading your KLR for a 660Z is like trading your old 3-series for the latest C-class because it's better in every respect, but still in the same class. Trading your KLR for a 800GS or the new XC is like trading (upgrading) your 3-series to a 5-series or E-Class, thus a class up from what you had. (whether the 5-series handles better or worse than a 3-series in the twisties is not the point, it's still an upgrade)

Cheers, I've gotta go dream about the Tiger now  ;D

:thumleft: