Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: So, my ride for the weekend, Tiger XC...  (Read 4585 times)

Offline Tiger8

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
Re: So, my ride for the weekend, Tiger XC...
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2011, 12:42:25 am »
I must admit, in 2006 I was very skeptical of the Triumph brand of bikes, I was looking for a new scoot and the Blackbird was my choice............until I sat astride the then New Sprint 1050ST. In the second corner my wife says, "this is the scoot", and I had to agree with her, the Triumph was an absolute dream. Admittedly it took a persistant salesman to get me on her, but it will take alot to get me off her.
The team at Autocycles in PE are very good and reliable service agents, never had hassles with them always had good service, no problem with getting parts. Services are reasonable & I have nothing but praise for a Brand I never thought I would ride. A triple is a sweet ride. I will be looking for a Tiger XC in the future to add to, not replace my trusty and comfortable 1050ST.
If this is a "Ladies" bike, call me 'Shirley'  :biggrin: cause I'd rather push my Triumph than ride a cage!  >:D
Don't Sweat the Petty Stuff & Don't Pet the Sweaty Stuff!
Triumph Sprint 1050ST
Yamaha WR450F

Offline DeepBass9

• 2010 DL1000-'91 DR650 DAKAR
  • Bike: Suzuki DL 1000 V-Strom
    • www.dreamlodge.co.za
« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2011, 06:14:21 am »
Maybe this 800cc class will come to define DS riding in the future. It seems a nice compromise that gives you a bike that is reasonably light, but capable of cruising at speed on the tar. Interesting times.

Offline White Rhino

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Save the White Rhino
« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2011, 06:22:21 am »
Maybe this 800cc class will come to define DS riding in the future. It seems a nice compromise that gives you a bike that is reasonably light, but capable of cruising at speed on the tar. Interesting times.

Agree, something to be said for ligthening the load (compared to the 1200 that is) and making the bike more dirt / sand friendly. The emphasis now needs to go on aspects that make the 800 a better all round tourer - larger screen, better lights, longer fuel tanks, standard protection, comfy seat, tubeless rims, good suspension (F800GS), ...

I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy
Nothing clears the head like a throttle twisted and the fresh air on the tip of the nose

Beta 300RR, KTM500, KTM990 Adv, HPN635, 1200GS LC

Offline popipants

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
  • I came; I saw; I slept
« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2011, 06:47:37 am »
Quote from: White Rhino link=topic=64507.msg1315284#msg1315284 date=
The emphasis now needs to go on aspects that make the 800 a better all round tourer - larger screen, better lights, longer fuel tanks, standard protection, comfy seat, tubeless rims, good suspension (F800GS), ...

You just described a 1200GSA

Don't think the 800 class should ever become a tourer.
I've been on the Jameson diet for a week, so far I've lost 7 days....

Offline Trumpet

• Bike: Triumph (all models)
« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2011, 08:20:58 am »
Thanks for the write up Adventurer!! Very interesting reading :)

Agree 100% with the comments about the triple. I've ridden singles, twins, inline fours & the triple. The sound of that triple is addictive.................. :3some:!!

I've also experienced that they "whine" - although that is lessened to some extent if you change the end can, purely through the additional noise from the end can though. I've had an onboard camera on my 955i, a Sprint ST, a Speed Triple & a mates 675 Daytona - the whine of the motor is evident on all variations of the triple motor.

With regard to servicing & maintenance. Although there are a number of dealers around the country it is inevitable that some will be better than others (as with all brands). Triumph owners in Gauteng generally tend to gravitate to Traditional Triumph in Edenvale as their period of ownership lengthens. In fact many (myself included) swear by them & will rather wait an extended period for a booking than take their bikes elsewhere!! Boils down to personal preference I guess. However I have been told that KMSA is in the process of ensuring some of the other dealers get their acts together & provide better service. Whether this happens remains to be seen.

I've never had a problem sourcing parts or obtaining spares - I've sometimes had to wait for 2 weeks to have them brought in from the UK, but it was handled quickly & efficiently. The fact that the dealer I was using at that time took 4 weeks to let me know the parts had arrived refers back to my previous paragraph................ :(
You cannot change what is, But you can change your perception of what is, And if you change your perception of what is, Then you actually change what is.

Offline STUMP

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #65 on: February 08, 2011, 12:56:56 pm »
Adventurer lies (he never lies), this is what he was doing the weekend. Photo shoot.
Nice unbiased article, and I see a lot of constructive criticism from both sides.
As a matter of interest, here are some retail prices on the genuine Triumph accessories.

Please note  this is a recommended retail price.

Spotlights – R3860
Handguards – R1208
Engine protection bars – R2853
Aluminium bash plate – R2182
Headlight protector – R671
Centre stand - R2517

You cannot get a better sound than a Triple. The Tiger definitely needs a pipe.

Offline ®©errie

• Incognito
  • Bike: Yamaha XT600
« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2011, 12:12:45 pm »
Just for interest sake, how does the older TR Tiger compare to the XC?
2003 Yamaha XT600e (Blouwa)
1993 Suzuki Djebel 200 (Project)
1984 Yamaha TT600 (Sold)
1984 Yamaha XT250T (Sold)
2001 Yamaha SR250 (RIP) 1997 Yamaha RX115 (Sold) 1987 Kawasaki KE100 (in bike heaven) :paw: :paw: :paw: :paw:  Ride Report: Verneukpan and Beyond

Offline Glenn Foley

• Forum Vendor
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2011, 03:37:35 pm »
Went to the launch with kurt - loved the XC - have just ridden the Holeshot version with a few extra's - man i would like to get me one - creamy engine and surprisingly capable offroad...

WRT Beemer vs Triumph - our Paddy Moore has done a comparitive test - just waiting for pics but it will probably be in the next issue...

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2011, 03:42:59 pm »
So, where are the pictures of the bike?   :biggrin:
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline Glenn Foley

• Forum Vendor
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
« Reply #69 on: March 23, 2011, 03:45:53 pm »
ummm have to figure how to post em - cant top Kurts bokkie shots though -0 I'll figure out how to do all of this properly one day...

also nice story on the new Honda 650---Old school is back everyone...

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #70 on: March 23, 2011, 04:01:33 pm »
Oh!  OOOH!!!  I see now.  There is a bike in there with the bokkie ....   ;D
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #71 on: March 23, 2011, 04:50:27 pm »
ummm have to figure how to post em - cant top Kurts bokkie shots though -0 I'll figure out how to do all of this properly one day...

The 1200GS guys will be happy....hang on to a concept long enough and it comes back into fashion.... :peepwall: :biggrin:
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline popipants

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
  • I came; I saw; I slept
« Reply #72 on: March 23, 2011, 05:06:48 pm »

The 1200GS guys will be happy....hang on to a concept long enough and it comes back into fashion.... :peepwall: :biggrin:

mmm...same applies for the 990 which hasn't changed much either ?!?!
I've been on the Jameson diet for a week, so far I've lost 7 days....

Offline Moondog

• Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
  • AKA : Tony
« Reply #73 on: March 23, 2011, 05:24:27 pm »
Ahem ......

Life is tough - get a helmet!

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #74 on: March 23, 2011, 05:51:23 pm »

mmm...same applies for the 990 which hasn't changed much either ?!?!

Well, the 990 has only been out since around 2006, and the 950 since around 2004, the boxer has been around since toothpaste was still white....or had it been discovered already? :peepwall: :biggrin:
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #75 on: March 23, 2011, 05:52:10 pm »

Geotraveller

« Reply #76 on: March 23, 2011, 08:33:09 pm »
If this is a girls bike then I'll be a big girls blouse!

my Tier will be here in April I hope and then I need to get it to Adv to add the touches.

Cant wait!

:ricky:

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #77 on: March 23, 2011, 09:51:59 pm »
If this is a girls bike then I'll be a big girls blouse!

my Tier will be here in April I hope and then I need to get it to Adv to add the touches.

Cant wait!

:ricky:

Anyone who says the XC is a girl's bike needs his head read, the normal Tiger could be construed as a girl's bike perhaps becuase of the smaller wheels and lower seat height, but not the XC.....mind you, there are some girls on this forum who can ride better than some of the guys, perhaps those that attach a gender to a bike...... :biggrin:

Offline buzzlightyear

• I'm Buzz Lightyear. I come in peace.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • To infinity and beyond
« Reply #78 on: March 23, 2011, 11:02:08 pm »
I see the Tiger has the same crap routing of the brake hoses over the front mudguard as the 800GS, must be a good copy then  ;D
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Offline Moondog

• Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
  • AKA : Tony
« Reply #79 on: March 23, 2011, 11:54:12 pm »
Ahem ......

Ahem what? ???

I must say - this bike looks like an excellent option - I wish they were around to improve the variety in the 800 sector when I bought my bike. Motor sounds buzzy with the stock pipe (as has been said), but pretty much everything else seems to make up an excellent package.

This particular bike was demo on loan to a colleague that recently bought the 1050. His bike was in for some farkling and he was given the 800 to play with for the day  :mwink:

Life is tough - get a helmet!