Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Most offroad capable DS bike  (Read 1495 times)

Offline LostDOG

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • It's confirmed - I am too sexy!
Most offroad capable DS bike
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2007, 07:44:46 am »
Quote from: "Mark Hardy"
Quote from: "digitaldan"
Shark are you doing market research on your next ride ? You are welcome to test ride my DRZ if you want. I think that a XR 650 or KTM 640 will suit you best  8)

If you are doing looking at buying when I would wait for the 690 adv. That is going to be one awesome machine. I hear that it will be out maybe towards the end of next year. Bit of a long wait but could be will worth it.

I'm told it will vibrate less as well - I look fwd to seeing this machine!
It's a friggen motorcycle, it's not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The windnoise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you shit your pants every now and then. Suck it up. -- Scary Gary MC

Offline IDR

• <insert bias disclaimer here>
  • Administrator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2007, 07:50:33 am »
If you are doing looking at buying when I would wait for the 690 adv. That is going to be one awesome machine. I hear that it will be out maybe towards the end of next year. Bit of a long wait but could be will worth it.

hopefully by then I'll be able to get one as well... nudge nudge wink wink
 :twisted:
The three things you need to fix anything in the universe: duct tape, WD-40 and a hammer.  If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.  If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.  Otherwise use the hammer.

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2007, 08:00:50 am »
Quote from: "InsiderDirtRider"

Why? :?

Just get some re-inforced handle bars on your KLE and your sorted! :twisted:  :D
He who angers you, controls you.

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2007, 08:01:07 am »
Look at Sharks heading, put two riders of equal ability on a KTM adv and a DRZ. The DRZ will win hands down, lighter and slimmer. It is the most dirt worthy but not as good on longer runs, oh yes and it does not vibrate at all :)
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline Mark Hardy

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2007, 08:03:42 am »
Here is the ralley version of the 690.

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2007, 08:07:02 am »
Look at Sharks heading, put two riders of equal ability on a KTM adv and a DRZ. The DRZ will win hands down, lighter and slimmer. It is the most dirt worthy but not as good on longer runs, oh yes and it does not vibrate at all :)

As I said, initially we answerred without readng the question.

Welsh  8)
An aspiring Coddiwompler

Offline OX

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
    • http://www.oxtrails.co.za
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2007, 08:07:48 am »

DD , how much have you spent and how many things have you changed / modifyed on your bike to make it a DS bike ? One could take a a KTM 525 EXC and make it   a DS bike and it would be perfect but would take a lot of work. Lets talk about OUT OF THE BOX DS bikes.
slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance this email's individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

Offline IDR

• <insert bias disclaimer here>
  • Administrator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2007, 08:12:47 am »
Quote from: "JourneyMan"
Quote from: "InsiderDirtRider"

Why? :?

Just get some re-inforced handle bars on your KLE and your sorted! :twisted:  :D

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I need to upgrade from the KLE sooner or later... or make the decision to take the plunge and make it the money pit that it would take to make it what I want it to be...  The advantage of upgrading is that I'd never sell the KLE.  It's just not worth selling, worth MUCH more standing in the garage than in my back pocket... IYKWIM
The three things you need to fix anything in the universe: duct tape, WD-40 and a hammer.  If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.  If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.  Otherwise use the hammer.

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2007, 08:38:58 am »
Quote from: "OX"

DD , how much have you spent and how many things have you changed / modifyed on your bike to make it a DS bike ? One could take a a KTM 525 EXC and make it   a DS bike and it would be perfect but would take a lot of work. Lets talk about OUT OF THE BOX DS bikes.

Stupid Question OX, but I am not familiar with the KTM motors. Is the 525 motor not the same basic LC4 (bottom End etc) as the 640 and so on how does it work?
If so I remember the 525 having a very limited oil capacity. How does the 640 get around this, is it just a high volume oil cooler system etc?
I missed a bargain 18 months ago a 525 EXC enterred once in a seniors race it went for R35K.

Welsh  8)
An aspiring Coddiwompler

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2007, 08:51:34 am »
I have the S which allready comes street legal. Motor stock, suspension stock. All my extras are cosmetic xcept for the tank. No real differance between mine and any stock DRZ S. And it's not more service intensive than any ds bike. Will a 525 go 42 000 km without work or even a valve adjustment ? I think converting any offroad bike will mean more work and less riding :)
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline OX

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
    • http://www.oxtrails.co.za
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2007, 08:56:34 am »
Good points DD , if your bike has done that many Ks with adjusting the valve clearance , you are doing VERY well. My main choice for leaving 4T and going back to 2T for off road , was simply that a 4 T off road bike needs a lots of maintanace WRT the motor. Keep an eye on those valves cos if that motor goes , its gonna cost more than  long night at teasers.
slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance this email's individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

shark_za

« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2007, 09:13:40 am »
If touring ability was a factor I'll add the KLR to the list.
For this poll I'm just interesting in pure ability offroad.

Suspension, useable power, 100km range is all thats needed.
No competition bikes converted to DS cos of the issues mentioned above.

Is the DRZ suspension up to the task.
Whats the ideal weight range for that suspension do you think?

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2007, 09:49:40 am »
Ox I check the clearaces every 3000 km or when I feel like it, they stay put :) Shark the DRZ suspension is based on the older RM jobbies and are fully adjustable although not as good as the newer offroad bikes. Not sure about the stock spring weights. The current S has the FCR carb and E cams.
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • What me worry?
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2007, 11:00:02 am »
my 2 cents the DR650....

low cost, low maintenace,  non water cooled ,carbed and can do everything pretty well...
Born to lose, live to win!!

Offline Lito

• BANNED TROLL
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • BANNED TROLL
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2007, 11:47:47 am »
just buy it

shark_za

« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2007, 03:27:49 pm »
Eish, I just read that I got beaten in Winterton by one of these.
A dude finished 8th in the club 200 class riding one.

http://www.huntermotorcycles.co.za/search/DealerNewCarDetails.asp?v=5440

Offline ROOI

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • KTM 990 S KTM 500 EXC AKA Red Rider
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2007, 09:21:57 am »
Hi there you all, off course you know where my loyalties and love lies but purely off road going like de Wildt .My XR are capable but a lot off hard work I will have to go with DD i see some votes for the KTM 625 I am wondering what the decisions are based on. I have never ridden with any body nor have met anybody that uses this bike off road maybe there are some-one on the forum that has one and can take us out one day .and show us what it is capable off But until then I have to go with the DRZ.I cannot vote the XR as u can not get them new in street legal format in SA anymore .

My 2cents
FTS

Offline ROOI

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • KTM 990 S KTM 500 EXC AKA Red Rider
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2007, 09:33:11 am »
Sorry to hear shark It goes to show hare scrambles is for every body :lol:
FTS