Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: KTM640 adventure  (Read 1333 times)

Offline greenmamba

KTM640 adventure
« on: March 10, 2006, 08:25:18 am »
Hi Guys

I have had my eye on a 640 adventure for some time now and was wondering what your (or your friends) experience of the 640 has been like, also the level of service and backup from KTM Cape Town.

thanks
quot;Nothing worthwhile is easy"

Offline krazy-eyes

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
KTM640 adventure
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 09:08:56 am »
dont expect ANY level of service or backup from any KTM dealer, be it cape town, joburg , or london. these guys are so arrogant, they wont piss you out if you were on fire in their shop (unless it threatened to set a bike on fire of corse). everyone ive spoken to says to forget about getting service from their workshop before and after any type of major race, they prioritise the race bikes and everyone else just doesnt matter.
lastly, every time ive walked into a KTM dealership (mostly Proaction KTM in rivonia/sunninghill) theyve sized me up and treated me accordingly, or should i say treated me with content. maybe because i am short or perhaps because i dont LOOK deserving of their superior product. or maybe i dont look rich enough. the only time i got friendly service was when i was with a tall friend wearing a suit, and even then they kind of looked through me and only tended to him.

that said; i am, not he petty type to "spite my face by cutting my nose etc". and this will not keep me from actually buying a KTM (when the time is right $$).
i do think it is a good product. one of only two real contenders in the adventure segment, the other being bmw

Offline KiLRoy

• A serious man...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • You said it, man. Nobody fucks with Jesus Quintana
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
KTM640 adventure
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2006, 09:39:24 am »
one of only two real contenders in the adventure segment, the other being bmw

What 'market' are you refering to?

Tip: Demand service

H

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
KTM640 adventure
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2006, 09:40:30 am »
I can only regurgitate what I have read on other threads and forums.
It's a good product, well suited for dirt/adventure riding.
There are a few reliability issues on older models but modern KTMs are just as reliable/unreliable as any other manufacturer.

It all comes down to personal taste. I would love the 640Adv and would pick it over the 650Dakar for what I intend to use it for. But when it comes to true Dual-Purpose the BMW is slightly better because the Katie will vibrate you fillings out of your teeth and anger the neighbours with it's noise. I suggest you have a look at the Yamaha XT too - it fits in somewhere between the KTM and Beemer. Kawasaki KLRs are plaas bikes :P

It's a beautiful machine and I'd love to own one myself. Pity about the dealerships - they notoriously crap (easily the worst franchise in the country)

Kev

Re: KTM640 adventure
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2006, 09:58:48 am »
Quote from: "greenmamba"
Hi Guys

I have had my eye on a 640 adventure for some time now and was wondering what your (or your friends) experience of the 640 has been like, also the level of service and backup from KTM Cape Town.

thanks

Hiya Greenmamba,

My mate was interested in getting a 640 Adventure. After comparing the
640 Adventure and the 640 Enduro, he has opted to get a Enduro with
an upgraded 18l tank as apposed to the Adventure.

Why?

- He found that the Enduro actually vibrated less than the Adventure
- The riding position on the Adventure did not suit him; he is 170cm, 70kg.
   He had the feeling of being too close to the bars, and if he moved
   towards the rear of the seat, the angle of the seat made him feel as
   if he was falling over the front of the bike. Compare the 2 bikes in a
   picture. You will see that the lowest part of the seat is forward of the
   pegs on the Adventure, and directly over the pegs on the Enduro.
   This made a huge difference in "feel" for him.
- He also found the Enduro more responsive than the Adventure.

This is 2nd hand info and opinion. It really is best if you can try the bike
yourself. I have also heard from guys that love their Adventures... like
all things biking, each to their own.

Kev.

Offline KiLRoy

• A serious man...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • You said it, man. Nobody fucks with Jesus Quintana
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
KTM640 adventure
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2006, 10:03:11 am »
640 - Good bike, definately more off-road orientated.  Lots of vibes and noise.  There are aftermarket stuff like, bigger fairings, comfy seats etc etc available.  To tell you the truth, If i buy more than R70k for either a Dakar or a Kati, I shall expect it to be equiped accordingly.  i would hate to spend another R10k on a allready overpriced bike!

Kati - offroad orientated - less road/long distance touring orientated (stock)
Dakar - Good road manners, finicky off road (every second one's ABS gives trouble on dirt), heavy, moer expensive to replace body parts.  Fuel injection system was known for surging at low speeds at a stage. Slightly dated engin (Rotex same a Aprilia Pegaso with a different head)
XT - look elsewhere
TA - Considered??
KLR - plaas bike - so if you intent on using it on 'plaas-like' surfaces - go for it.  Plaas bikes also have carbs and can be easily repaired - anywhere.  Plaasbikes are customisable and will last forever.

H

Offline krazy-eyes

KTM640 adventure
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2006, 11:00:04 am »
ive got a full suspension GT mountainbike if youre interested. its just not so fast on pull away and top end  :D

Offline LiveInTheOutdoors

• http://tigerr.smugmug.com
KTM640 adventure
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2006, 01:56:05 pm »
Mate, I have heard of good things about the George dealership. This guy registered and delivered to the door of my mate Kamanya here in CTown, for free. Next day. Unreal.

The 640 is vibey for sure, Loctite will be your friend. Dont underestimate the power of vibes on a very long trip, they can become painful. What you can do , is to fix things like putting a bar snake in the handlebars, insoles for your feet, a butt pad. These are cheap fixes for a superior dirt machine in the 600 category. Nothing in its class (bar the XR600R) will touch it in the dirt, depending on the terrain. The quality of standard components are beyond reproach, and the thing has 28litre (?) tanks which will take you a far far far way on that single.

My mates have travelled to Egypt and back with these things, they didnt take loctite and had to retighten bolts often. But man did they perform. Just look to the 660Rallye which wins the Dakar now, which is a tough sum bitch race.

Its fairly similar to what we are sold on the street in the 640, and I can almost guarantee you that the bikes abilities will be beyond yours for many years to come.

KTM dealerships suck badly in this country their support is weak, but I urge you to buy your stuff from oorsee, its cheaper anyway and will get here quicker. Either do the work yourself on the bike or someone you trust. I personally dont put much stock in the dealers, though they will honour the 2 year warranty for sure. Recently, they had to split cases and do the gear selectors (HUGE job) for a friend of mine, all done on warranty, the cost must have been running way past R10000. Done. But man, did it take 2 months!!!!!

So there you go. The 640 KTm for its purpose is superior in its class, with a bit of a price to it. But is sure is ready to race.
very minute is a chance to turn it all around - Vanilla Sky

>Mav... started gym. Officially at 95kg....<