Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: africa's calling  (Read 454 times)

Offline bumblebeast

• Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
africa's calling
« on: February 10, 2011, 04:55:06 am »
Hi guys

My husband and Iwill be arriving in South Africa in May and plan to ride north to (a very rough plan)
Zimbabwe, mozambique, Tanzania, Kenya, Uganda, Rwanda, Burundi, Malawi, Zambia, botswana, Namibia, back int S.A down to cape town, up the east coast to Lesoto and Swaziland.  We need to kill about 9 months before starting work in the U.K Jan/Feb 2012

At the moment just looking for general info.  Most of the countries seem pretty straight forward as far as visas etc are concerned.

Has anybody been to Burundi, Rwanda or Uganda?  Burundi is very hazy as far as visas and paperwork are envolved.  Rwanda and Uganda at the moment seem quite straight forward for visas, just general country info required-roads, petrol availability, safety etc.  As we have so much time to spare it would be a shame to miss any countries while in the area.

If there are any riders that have any info about carnets and visas for those countries too.  We are on British bikes, I have a british passport and Jaco has a South afriacn passport and a british passport.

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Pikipiki Overland
Re: africa's calling
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 06:39:47 am »
we will be in Buriundi Ruanda and Uganda in the week or so. Still at Jungle Junction in Kenya and theres a notice up here you must apply online for Ruanda visa and wait for approval online and take that with when entering the border. you would need a carne for egypt I am not sur about SA. Some travellers told me SA is a bitch as travellers need a carne for SA.

pertol is not a problem, bottled water is everywhere and cheap. Camping in SA, Nam, Bots are excellent for the rest take what you get. generally its safe everywhere.

http://pikipiki.co.za
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 06:43:30 am by michnus »

Offline bumblebeast

• Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
Re: africa's calling
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 10:57:36 am »
Thanks for the info michnus,
if you could let me know how Burundi, Uganda and Rwanda go that would be great! 
Looks like you guys are having a blast, I just checked out your website, what a great trip.  We are working in Australia at the moment, rode our bikes here (mostly-ish) from U.K so looking forward to spending some time in S.A with Jaco's family, we will probably do a Europe to South Africa trip in the future too,  So I am keeping my eye on your progress for this next trip and a future trip!
Take it easy and enjoy the ride :ricky: :ricky: :ricky: :ricky: