Tau's Dakar dreams TBC...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tau

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT 750 Z Super
Budget and bank details added :thumleft:

I have been talking about this enough. It is time to get my act together and do it. I have been talking to BB2007, Albert, Paulsky and some other dogs about the event and Rally raids in general.

The first issue with Dakar is and will always be the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ need. I suppose there is many a great rider that do not have the funds to to the race, One Dakar is the same as 2 full seasons of National and regional racing in SA(which I have stopped last year..).

Second issue is the family as they also watch the race and C people dying in crashes or getting seriously injured. I Have convinced my wife , however my parents are still not happy, to me this is a HUGE issue and I am still working on them at the moment.

Why me????     Why should/could I do Dakar. Well honestly.......... nothing special just a heap of unconsumed energy and 17 years of racing experience and riding scooters. I was the the 2009 WC offroad champ and I have done some Offroad Nationals with a highest 6th overall in the 2007 Limpopo 400 ( beating MR.Gray Dick by seconds :lamer:). I have never been super competitive just enjoy riding my bike HARD.

I had a huge crash last year and injured my back and ribs I am back to tip-top health and have gone from 106kg 18 December 2010 to a healthier faster 94kg today. I have stopped drinking and am eating a healthier diet than ever with the help from my local GP. I train 3 times a week and will start riding on weekends once somebody buys my YZ so I can get a WR450 ....

What do I need from the dogs???Well to do the Malles Moto class excluding outside support and limited spares I will need R 300 000 as my minimum to enter. Now before you tell me That is a ludecrous amount of money for a 2 week event ...well you will be right it is just that.

And the biggest thing is I do not even have support just me myself and the fellow Malles moto class entrants. A proper support package and spares support package will Cost R500 000 easily.

Now from help with the following from fellow Wilddogs your thoughts on the following.:

1. I would like to make up a support package including a T-shirt and stickers and maybe a cap (if the budget allows.) in this way I can get     smaller contributions from more people rather than large amounts from sponsors.

2. I have seen some of the european guys also do a pay per kilometre setup where you pay a certain amount of meny per KM to be raced.

3. getting a charity onboard to get them funds and myself more coverage

4. If you have a company that would like to sponsor or know of a company that would like to help that would be great.

So the next Q what bike will I use???? Well the budget will decide that. Either a Yamaha Wr450 or Honda CRF 450 x. As these 2 can for the least amount of money be changed into reliable rally Raid bikes.

The first prize would be getting enough funds together for support and a FULLY JVO kitted bike and spare engine and whells etc, however plenty of people finished the race using 1 motor and doing Malles Moto. This will not be easy, but it is possible.

My short term goals for the next month???

I need to get into beter shape and get my weight down to 90kg.  I need to get my dad onboard and sell my friggin YZ :dousing:.

Then I want to start speaking sponsors and get my sponsors ifo pack raedy and send them to possible sponsors. Oh and work and play with my son and feed the dogs and be a good husband. :biggrin:

:EDIT:

My contact details
[email protected]

Ok my bank details for the Anvil Racing effort for Dakar:

John Webb
First National Bank
Smart account
Acc no: 62299958193
br code: 250655

Please send your forum name with notice as I would like to thank everybody personaly.

Please read.
If you do not have the funds and have kids, life and other more important things to fund please just support me by going to this thread and the website later and rather save your money for your family. Please I don't wan't sleepless nights of feeling like a thief. :'(

What I can promise is the thought of your hard earned money supporting me whilst busy with Dakar will aspire me to do all and everything humanly possible to finish this great adventure :thumleft:.

Dakar 2012 budget

Entry taken from 2011 as the new entry fees not yet available.

Vehicle fee                                                                                                                                     Euro 3700

ASO entry                                                                                                                                        Euro 10700

This includes:

return boat trip fram La harve to BA for bike
Medical insurance
Sporting rights
Bivouc food and drinks
Insurance comprehensive(public liability etc.)
GPS, distress beacon, sentinel, irritrack (vehicle fee)
Refueling during stages

Excludes:
Transport of trunk and 2 wheels (2 trunks and 4 wheels as they overlap each other)            Euro 500
Visa charges (mandatory)
Satelite phone (optional)                                                                                                         (sponsored THX)
Fuel during road sections                                                                                                         Euro 400
Flights to BA                                                                                                                                Euro 1300
                                                                                                                         Total                   Euro 16600
                                                                                                                             R164 000 at R9.97 (10/2/2011)

Getting the bike there is still not final, If it is build in Europe it goes on the ferry as part of my entry fee.

Bike

2 options.

JVO kitted WR 450 f

Wr 450                                                 R 54000

Kitting bike JVO kit                               R80000

spare motor                                         R20 000 (optional)

tyres/mouse/spares                            R26000

navigation equipment (Ico/RB/repeater) R10 000

Total R190 000

Option 2:

Honda crf 450 x                             R60000

Kitting bike Honda Europe kit      R24000

spare motor/ Bike                       R20000

tyres/mouse/spares                     R26000

Navigation equipment (ico/ Rb)   R10 000

Total R140 000

Nutrition R3000
Spare cash for emergencies R 15 000

Total   R18 000

Taking the Yamaha                         R372000

Taking the Honda                           R322 000

Cheaper bikes can be built, these are ready made Dakar proven machines.