Tshende's Trails - The long way round

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

Red

The two mascots were very excited. They jumped in the previous night to make sure that they do not miss the trip. This was just before our early departure.

Mascot038.jpg

We left early on Thursday. To avoid the Gauteng rush hour traffice we took the back roads via Tarlton, Carltonville, Fochville and Parys. We had our first breakfast at our second home town Parys. We made for Kroonstad and met a couple on and old BMW ?Cruiser? on their way to a ?The Syndicate? club ralley in Graaff Reinett. Fortunately we decided to turn off at Edenburg and travel via Phillipolis to Colesberg because our ?Syndicate? friends, who we met again in Graaff Reinett said that they were in a mother of a thunderstorm on the N1.

Close to Colesberg it started drizzling, and because I booked the accommodation, I had to lead the way. I went so fast Stephan really had to open up to keep up with me (I had to drink a ?strafdop? for that in the Bav as punishment). :lol: :lol:

Mascot014.jpg

Tried to have a braai but got rained upon and ended up ?braai-ing? in the pan.

Mascot003.jpg

The next day we went on to Bav.

What can be more beautifull. Two packed bikes on the road.

Mascot017.jpg

We first took the wrong turn-off (not our neck of the woods) and were making rapid progress to Steytlerville when Stephan started having second thoughts because it wasn?t a dirt road. We turned around and after getting directions from a character without any front teeth we were on the right road.

Man, was I disappointed. We came all the way and all I saw was Karoo, Karoo, Karoo. Nothing looked like the Wilddog?s year-end Bash photographs. My butt was sore and here I was travelling a gravel highway looking like any other gravel highway in the Karoo.

And then things changed.

Mascot024.jpg

Wow. It got better.

We got to camp, pitched our tent and waited for the rest of the guys. It was a battle to make try and make tea with the stupid camp stove.

Mascot088.jpg

The other Dogs showed up and after introductions they started sorting out their tents.

Mascot027.jpg

I realised that we would have enough booze to stock a bottle store.

Mascot030.jpg

Tshende?s girlfiend was handed over to Mrs. Trailrider together with the two cats for her boys? bikes. In return she gave me a Wilddog blanket. It was the best gift she could have given me. We were half frozen the whole time in the Bav. It became my little Linus blanket. From now on it will go everywhere with me when I travel.

Mascot091.jpg

We were so well prepared, Tshende?s ride was there as well.

trip03300iq7.jpg

(Geoff?s photo)

The next morning we were met by this sight at the camp fire. The term ?Smoking you socks? got new meaning. Scooter decided that he wanted them DRY. He got it a bit FRIED (it used to be whitish, light greyish).

Mascot092.jpg

The next day the first bunch left very early for Patensie. Stephan, Trailrider, Wit Olifant and myself left a bit later after a morning coffee. A few kilometers down the road I started fishtailing. I decided to be a brave girl and not a sissy and kept going. At one stage on a downhill I was a few meters behind Trailrider and my bike just kept going and going, I realised that braking was not an option and kept going. According to TR I came ?screaming? past, little did he know that I just wanted to stay on top and in my inexperienced mind I told myself, no brakes, no brakes, don?t close the throttle! I made it to the bottom. At that stage I decided ? Stuff this ? I am turning around. I could not see myself travelling all the way back with the road getting worse by the minute and the 4x4 crowd coming through in droves. Stephan and myself had a chat and then he caught up with Wit Olifant who also said that this was no fun. He undertook to wait for TR and as we turned around Spook and co in the 4x4 came past. We explained that we were turning back as the road was turning into the Mud Monster. We headed back and made for the bar a couple of k?s past the campsite. As we were riding the 4x4?s kept coming past further worsening the road surface into a slippery slidy piece of sn0t. Fortunately the bar had hot coffee, a fireplace and red wine. Boy, was that welcome. It really started drizzling quite badly, and I just hoped that all the guys would come back safely.

------ Will post more tomorrow. We are knackered. -------