Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Stupid Questions...  (Read 2670 times)

Offline tomrinbellingham

• Puppy
  • Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
  • Making friends in high places - Peruvian Andes
Stupid Questions...
« on: February 13, 2011, 04:23:25 am »
 :-[ I've been afraid to ask up to now because I didn't want to have anyone of you die laughing at the stupid questions only an American could ask. BUT, I don't want to die just because I was too afraid to ask. So, you're on your own:

1. Will I get eaten by a lion (or snake, or alegator, or ....) while I'm camping? Should people like me carry an AK-47 for protection from the wild things -- or the Janjaweed or ...? Can people like me even buy a gun in SA and carry it up to the top of Africa? What are prudent precautions in these regards - animals and humans that might want me or my stuff?

2. Will I get eaten by a mosquito because I don't have some specail mosquito net inside my tent? What precautions should I take about malaria on this trip north through SA, Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Tanzania, Mozambique, Malawi, Rwanda, Uganda, Kenya, Ethiopia, Sudan, Egypt, Jordan, Syria ... on to Germany?

3. Do the stores in SA carry Duct Tape? (I'm sure I can't live without it!)

4. Will I be able to buy automatic transmission fluid in cities along the route to the top? (It's what I use for my automatic chain oiler.)

OK, that's all the dumb questions I can bring myself to ask for the moment.
Tom
Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile. Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should sing and dance -- and ride motorcycles.

Offline GlenInk

• Elliot`s only
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLE 500
  • R.I.P. 02/02/2012
Re: Stupid Questions...
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 04:32:31 am »
1. not likely if you are careful, a gun will make life difficult . . .

2. Yes Mozzies are a pain, malaria pills and mozzie repelent . . .

3. yes  :thumleft:

4. yes  :thumleft:
Quote from: buzzlightyear
"Does your ass not get jealous of all the crap that comes out of your mouth?" 

Put brain into gear before opening mouth !   Believe it, cos its true !     Yamaha IT 200; Kawasaki KLE 500 The Ox Wagon  

Offline tomrinbellingham

• Puppy
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 05:42:57 am »
What is involved in being careful? Staying awake all night? Sleeping in a tree? Keeping the motor running for a fast get away? Staying only in well guarded campgrounds?

And, what happens along the back road when my path and a pack of lions, hyenas, wolves, bears, alligators.... cross paths? Does every body run away - or just me?

2. Yes Mozzies are a pain, malaria pills and mozzie repellent . . .

Tom
Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile. Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should sing and dance -- and ride motorcycles.

Offline GlenInk

• Elliot`s only
  • Race Dog
  • R.I.P. 02/02/2012
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 06:11:11 am »
What is involved in being careful? Staying awake all night? Sleeping in a tree? Keeping the motor running for a fast get away? Staying only in well guarded campgrounds?

And, what happens along the back road when my path and a pack of lions, hyenas, wolves, bears, alligators.... cross paths? Does every body run away - or just me?

2. Yes Mozzies are a pain, malaria pills and mozzie repellent . . .

I think the best would be for you to post your route here and then we can tell you where to watch out for what and how . . .

Put brain into gear before opening mouth !   Believe it, cos its true !     Yamaha IT 200; Kawasaki KLE 500 The Ox Wagon  

Offline Big J

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • Since 1974
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 06:47:54 am »
Just ask a local to join up with you. This way you will soon understand the area. Most wild animals are confined in fenced farms down here. Animals are great to come across. (You would be very lucky to see a leopard, even though they are still around). It's the humans we shy away from.. ;D

Offline Watty

• RIP 29-07-2011
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki Djebel 250XC
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 06:53:25 am »
You need not worry about alligators, wolves and bears - they are not found in Africa!

Offline Crispie

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-250 Rally
  • Need a Concrete Deck? PM me!
    • Voidcon
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 07:05:18 am »
I agree with GlenInk it's best to post yout planned route first! :peepwall:

Offline Makhulu

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 07:13:03 am »
:-[ I've been afraid to ask up to now because I didn't want to have anyone of you die laughing at the stupid questions only an American could ask. BUT, I don't want to die just because I was too afraid to ask. So, you're on your own:

1. Will I get eaten by a lion (or snake, or alegator, or ....) while I'm camping? Should people like me carry an AK-47 for protection from the wild things -- or the Janjaweed or ...? Can people like me even buy a gun in SA and carry it up to the top of Africa? What are prudent precautions in these regards - animals and humans that might want me or my stuff?

2. Will I get eaten by a mosquito because I don't have some specail mosquito net inside my tent? What precautions should I take about malaria on this trip north through SA, Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Tanzania, Mozambique, Malawi, Rwanda, Uganda, Kenya, Ethiopia, Sudan, Egypt, Jordan, Syria ... on to Germany?

4. Will I be able to buy automatic transmission fluid in cities along the route to the top? (It's what I use for my automatic chain oiler.)

How do you deal with wild animals in your own country? Exactly the same rules apply here.

1. No. Be sensible like you would normally do for bears and alligators.
2. Like everyone said, use malaria prophylactics.
3. Yes. Since it is 3rd world countries they will surely have.
4. Yes.

Offline GlenInk

• Elliot`s only
  • Race Dog
  • R.I.P. 02/02/2012
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 07:19:49 am »
Crocodiles, they not everywhere, but where you not sure, ask before you swim.

Just ask a local to join up with you. This way you will soon understand the area. Most wild animals are confined in fenced farms down here. Animals are great to come across. (You would be very lucky to see a leopard, even though they are still around). It's the humans we shy away from.. ;D

+100

Offline GlenInk

• Elliot`s only
  • Race Dog
  • R.I.P. 02/02/2012
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 07:27:41 am »
Look at what these guys are doing  :deal:

http://pikipiki.co.za/
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 08:25:27 am by GlenInk »

Offline Pote

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2011, 08:06:49 am »
I have never heard of a biker that was eaten or attacked by a lion in South Africa, most people from UK / USA have a very vague perception about how we live here in South Africa, “we don’t have any wild animals walking around in our neighborhoods” the only places where you will find dangerous animals will be in a zoo, those private 4 / 5 Star game lodges or our national game parks, which in does not allow motorbikes to travel in these parks.

For your mosquito question, see the picture for the risk areas

Duct tape will be available at about every hardware store, +/- for $7 a roll.

“Will I be able to buy automatic transmission fluid in cities along the route to the top?” Yes you will, most supermarkets even stock these at the D.I.Y sections and some of the bigger “gas” station also sells them.

Offline tomrinbellingham

• Puppy
Re: Stupid Questions -not so much about South Africa; more about all the rest.
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2011, 08:16:03 am »
Route? Starting in Johannesburg, around through Swaziland and Lesotho to Port Elizabeth and on to Cape Town then, Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Tanzania, Mozambique, Malawi, Rwanda, Uganda, Kenya, Ethiopia, Sudan, Egypt, Jordan, Syria ... on to Germany.

Besides a list of countries, we don't have a defined route. We want to see animals, renowned sites (Vitoria Falls, Serengeti, Ancient Ruins, cities not so much, Kilimanjaro, etc. But, we don't know what all until we are faced with a fork in the road that will take us to see this or that as long as we are gradually heading north. We don't know if it will take us 4 months or 8 months to get up and out of Africa.

We want to "stop and smell the roses" more than we did on our recent trip from Alaska to Ushuaia in the Americas -- we went too fast. It was a fun ride, but we missed a lot of things we should have enjoyed along the way. This time, I hope we get more of the history, culture, and spectacular of the places we ride through.

I don't think it is yet true that the animals are (even mostly) behind wire fences. It will be very disappointing if that is true of Africa. We aren't going to see the cities - except for a couple. We do want to see the Cape of Good Hope and the Pyramids -- well, we want to take our pictures with those things in the background anyway. But mostly we want to see rural Africa. And we don't want to get eaten in the process. Are lions as rare in the rural parts of these countries as GrizzlyBears are in the lower 48 states of the USA?

Tom

Offline Pistonpete

• Shop Mods
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Live to Ride...Ride to Live
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2011, 08:23:21 am »

1. You would will not be killed by a Lion but if you are you going to be famous! The first overlander motorcyclist  num num! And no...we don't all run around with AK47's like on the news....that's reserved for criminals, dictators and those about to remove the president...
2. Yes you will in all likelyhood be bitten. Take appropriate anti-malerial drugs.
3. I personally have not seen genuine Duct Tape for years but similar stuff is available..
4. Any oil will do if you cannot get auto tranny iol?

Let us know how the planning goes  :thumleft:
'Routine is the thief of time'

Offline Eendstop

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Too many fools around
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2011, 10:25:20 am »
What no-one so far told you, criminals are far more abundant and dangerous than all the wild animals put together.  >:(
Thought so, tough behind a keyboard, but no balls.......

Offline DirtRebell

• Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2011, 10:33:23 am »
Just avoid Joburg cbd and you'll be fine ;D

Offline Wild Hearted Son

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XL1000V Varadero
  • Sandton
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2011, 10:43:43 am »
+1  for all above

do yourself a favour & read some of the ride reports on the site, they'll give you a lot of background info
Some off the top of my head that may be useful is Mzee's recent Kampala Odyssey, anything by PopifunPants  & anything by MetalJockey....
"...I was born to the city
But I longed to roam free..." - The Cult, Wild Hearted Son, 1991

Offline Makhulu

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
Re: Stupid Questions -not so much about South Africa; more about all the rest.
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2011, 12:01:45 pm »
Are lions as rare in the rural parts of these countries as GrizzlyBears are in the lower 48 states of the USA?

Unfortunately yes. Not just lions but all the other game too. Africa has a big problem with poaching, therefore most animals will only be found in protective areas.

I would be more worried about humans.

Offline tomrinbellingham

• Puppy
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2011, 04:28:39 pm »
Thank you all for the response to these stupid questions. :hello2: I have read Mzee's ride report. I'll be riding the same bike he did when I leave Jo'Burg. I bought it from him a while back and he's been keeping it for me. ;)

I am worrying myself too about criminals and other nasty humans, not just lions and such. There are some of those also in South America that were of concern on that ride, most notably the FARC in Colombia. Fortunately, we were not kidnapped or worse on that trip; partly because we were cautious, partly because we were lucky. Although we did ride right thru FARC territory in Colombia, the government was at the time very effectively protecting the roads from attacks -- an aside: Colombia is a beautiful place with the most hospitable people and mountain roads obviously designed by a motorcyclist! Don't miss it on your world tour.

Back to Africa: There seems to be (from the news) some kind of collusion between the government and the Janjaweed and they all carry AK 47s. When we approach the Darfur region or get close to Somalia or in between north and south Sudan or too near the Congo, do we need to worry much about bad people with guns? If we ride only in daylight and stop for the night only in populated areas, is that enough caution to get us through unmolested?

I will look for other ride reports on the matter of bad guys along the route.

What about petty criminals - or desperately poor folks - who don't want to harm us, but do want to steal things of value? Cash, GPS, Camera, motorcycle,??? Do we need to put some kind of lock (cables, disk, ...) on the bikes when we stop for the night or to eat or shop (walk away from the bikes) in the smaller towns and villages?

What kinds of precautions do you take on such trips when you don't know the neighborhoods and don't have any sense of the cultures or extent of poverty in the area where you find yourselves?
Tom

Offline Pistonpete

• Shop Mods
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Live to Ride...Ride to Live
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2011, 04:34:09 pm »
Nothing we can say will validate your security. Be aware & man up is all. :thumleft:
'Routine is the thief of time'

Offline Carnivore

• Longer lasting theraphy.. do longer distance travelling..
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Port Elizabeth Old(er) Guy
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2011, 07:19:32 pm »
Hi Again Tom,

Africa.. or SOUTH Africa... what's the difference?
Most of us on this forum are not Africa travellers. South Africa is a very different kettle of fish to the rest of the continent. Most Merrycans equate South Africa to Africa... as though it is one big place of sameness. They could not be further from the truth. My time in the USA (Miami, New York and Denver) confirms this mindset without exception. EVERYone I met had not a clue about my country, as differentiated from the rest of the Continent.

Search the link http://ronnieborr.com/blog/..
 go to the earlier parts of Ronnie's Africa section of his world ride. You will start to get the idea. Also look at Worldrider.com - Allan Karl is your countryman and his Africa experience will be of interest.

Animals in Africa...
Wild animals are dangerous. The Big Five are not cuddly kittens! If you see them up close, you are in a game-viewing vehicle, or you are in a seriously stupid situation. Would you go riding a bike in Yellowstone National? Would you not end up being cougar meat?

The romantic concept of idyllic sunsets over the plains of Serengeti is indeed achievable. But you will pay dollars, and you will be part of a Safari group. Lush green expanses of Africa teeming with Zebra and Wildebeest.. yes, and hidden the lushness, crouching, poised, is Leo, his six wives (this is Africa after all) and 13 little cubs are waiting back home for dinner. So, if a wildebeest is on the menu, perhaps Tom could be a Hors d'œuvre .. he is certainly more tender and not as fast to chase..
On your travels, it is entirely likely that you could encounter elephant on the main road in Botswana (and a zillion donkeys..) and a buffalo might be lurking in the dark between your bungalow or tent and the ablution facility in a park in Kenya. These are reported happenings by the people who experienced them, not their surviving family...

A British lady was almost mauled by a cheetah who made the 6 feet jump onto the back of a pickup truck where the tourists were foolishly standing... in a game park. What were they thinking? Come to Africa to see the wild animals... wild animals.. not tame ones. Take precautions.. common sense precautions. This is not the SPCA and they are not cute puppies playfully nibbling your fingers, begging for a home.

Only big game hunters with suitable weapons can head out into the African bush to see the animals, in an unprotected manner. For the rest, the DIY animal seer must do it with brain in gear.

People
Africa is a continent of mostly friendly people, who are mostly extremely poor. Once again, read the accounts of the travellers who have done the trip. The southERN African states are for the most part a traveller's paradise, with the biggest danger being fleeced by border officials north of SA. Search the forum with words "border" and "bribes" etc... you should find some references to informative trips.

Around Ethipia, Somalia... yes, there are accounts of bandits and rebels. There are also accounts of convoys and police.. read the first hand accounts from the storytellers to get the truth.

Here is another link to ADVrider.com - this lady's trip to SA makes my eyes water - I am so happy to read of her joy at travelling to South Africa and Namibia. But you will also read how she mistakenly thinks that this is the Dakar Rally terrain that she has seen on TV, and she cannot believe that she is actually riding in the tire tracks of her heroes... NOT!! She is, sadly quite a few thousand miles too far south!!
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15157654#post15157654 - obviously, go to the beginning of her story. (You will also at some stage read a comment by someone else to the effect of "..had no idea is was that civilised!" That really made me laugh. Sheesh!! does he think we walk around in loin cloths?

From TV series like CSI and Law Enforcement... I would say that Las Vegas and Miami and New York are too dangerous to live in... and that would obviously be an incorrect assumption. But every time I see a jogger in Central Park on TV, I know he is gonna die.

The crap you have been fed by your Media will make your blood boil when you discover the truth.

We even have high speed internet  :o

No, you may not buy a gun in South Africa. You are not a resident, you could not justify the need, you could not carry it over the border, you will spend your time in some shithole cell with dubious companions when it is confiscated. :deal:

Pick up the emails again, when you are so inclined..  :thumleft:
Old, grey, crafty...

You can do anything if you have enthusiasm. Enthusiasm is the yeast that makes your hopes rise to the stars. Enthusiasm is the sparkle in your eyes, the swing in your gait, the grip of your hand, the irresistible surge of will and energy to execute your ideas. Enthusiasts are fighters. They have fortitude. They have staying qualities. Enthusiasm is at the bottom of all progress. With it, there is accomplishment. Without it, there are only alibis.
Henry Ford