Delivery boys

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

White Stripes

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Voxan (all models)
This was always going to be an emotional trip. For more than one reason.

My baby followed in her dad’s footprints in more than one way, so it was predestined that this would happen one or other day. First she bought oupa’s Honda car when he gave up driving. 30k. Next was a search for a cheap bike. Bought a DR 650 for 33k. She is probably as stingy as her dad, but at least she owes nobody money.

Next step was to get the bike to Aggeneys. She is working there and lives in an area with some very nice gravel roads.

Then there was the small unfinished business of the road from Garies to Springbok over the Kamies Mountains.

The scene was set. I asked Tok-tokkie and Wolfmother to join. TT was as wise as an old dog and declined. To hot. WM, in his unpretentious youth agreed without reading the fax. Any reason to get on his bike is a good one.

We started late on Thursday morning from Langebaan and we were already feeling the heat. We took the trusted railroad from Velddrift to Lutzville. Between Velddrift and Elandsbaai it was really hot, to the point that the heat actually burned your naked flesh. Tok-Tokkie was relaxing in his living room with the aircon on.

Our first stop was at Lutzville. We filled up and bought something to eat. The local golf club provided shade and time to cool off.

DSCF2574.jpg

Next we took the road to Brand-se-baai. A bit of tar and then on the nice farm roads to Lepelfontein and Kotzesrus.

On the way we were showered on and the heat was gone.

DSCF2575.jpg

DSCF2576.jpg

Kotzesrus has six families and a mall. There is a house for sale for 450k, if somebody is interested.

DSCF2577.jpg

DSCF2578.jpg

DSCF2580.jpg

DSCF2582.jpg

Cashing in on everything that is free. Wind, water, sun.

DSCF2583.jpg

DSCF2584.jpg

DSCF2586.jpg

In Garies we met two guys on a 990 and a gs800 that just came the way we were planning to go. They agreed that the road is a must.

First we went up Studer pass.

DSCF2587.jpg

DSCF2588.jpg

Up in the mountain the climate it very different from down in Garies and even more so from Boesmanland, as you would go east.

DSCF2589.jpg

Our destination for the night, Leliefontein.

DSCF2590.jpg

Upon riding into town we got the reception of Charlie and Evan and were jam-packed by kiddies. I asked the one on a bicycle for directions to the campsite. “Nee, oom, die kampplek is toe, maar oom kan op my pa se plaas kamp”

We met his dad and they were very friendly people. His wife is in charge of the campsite and tourism in Leliefontein. She can be contacted for arrangements regarding tourism. Very nice woman. Vera Engelbrecht. 027 672 1972. I booked for September. Tok-tokkie and co have to come and enjoy this.

DSCF2592.jpg

The young fellow rode with WM to the farm, with mom and dad in their car. They took us to a nice site on the farm. No facilities, but very nice. By that time it was already dark and we scrambled to get firewood for the night.

DSCF2593.jpg

DSCF2594.jpg

I brought two nice pieces of ox and a small box of red wine with, so we were in heaven. Without having to vote.

We spent a wonderful evening under the stars, with lightning to the distant East. It was raining in Bushmanland. The stars were just out of reach of our hands in a crystal clear sky. Tok-Tokkie was watching TV in Greenpoint.

As I settled down in my tent, I was contemplating the day and the conversations around the fire. Then to my baby, waiting for her bike to be delivered. Nudging fear came creeping under my skin again. What if she hurts herself? What if she dies on a bike that I encouraged her to get? What if?

What if she does not enjoy life out of fear?