Ah, what a beautiful land we've got

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wino

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XL650V Transalp
But you know that already :wink:

Day 1

Friday comes?but I decide to spend at least one more day at home with the wife before my journey begins. It also gives me more time to think about the route that I will take. For a couple of weeks the idea was first to ride down to Sani, then work my way around. But, on the Friday evening I decide to do it the other way round, essentially to avoid the traffic that the area would carry over Easter.

And Friday night the bike is packed, ready to go, anticipating the adventure that lies ahead.

1.jpg

Thus, on Saturday morning just after 6, I head out on the N12, on the way to Kimberley. I have no exact route in mind, only the idea of where I wanted to go. But, I am also flexible ? and have two days buffer built in my very lacksadaisical plan in case some mishaps might happen. From Jhb to Kimberley it is smooth sailing. No wind, not a lot of traffic ? great riding conditions.

a1.jpg

a2.jpg

a3.jpg

a4.jpg

Just to set the record straight, this is not a zen journey. Well, at least it is not planned to be one. Kilroy and I planned a trip, as we have done so over the last few years, but due to a series of unfortunate events he could not make it. I was left with the decision to either go on my own, or stay at home. (I must admit though, in hindsight, that the decision to do it on my own paid its own dividends.)

Just before Kimberley some dark clouds come together for a party.

a4-1.jpg

But, never fear, my rain suit is close at hand. When I eventually crash the party, the rain is quite insignificant. As a result of the clouds having looked so menacing, I am chuckling and feel like one of the characters in the Discworld novels, of who is said that he is the type of person that would stand atop a hill during a thunderstorm and shout: All ye gods are bastards!

Whereto from here? I wanted to head to Verneukpan and thus having reached Kimberley, it is onwards to Prieska, via Douglas. Now, the road between Kimberley and Douglas must count for one of the longest straight stretches of roads and I encounter no more than about five other vehicles. And it is hot. I pass a couple of turnoffs to Schmitsdrift and the temptation is there each time to revisit the hell of army basics.

a4-2.jpg

Reaching Douglas, I am amazed by the town. Lying on the banks of the Vaal river, it would make for a great getaway, camping on the bank. There is even a wine farm just outside the town.

a6.jpg

a7.jpg

a8.jpg

a9.jpg

Duh! I missed a dirtroad turnoff near Douglas that would have taken me straight into Prieska, but I only realize this a few k?s outside of Prieska.

a10.jpg

From Prieska it is onwards to Van Wyksvlei. Just outside Prieska dark clouds are coming together in the distance, and very soon the lightning set up a spectacular sight. This all happens just off centre to my left ? on my right the sun was beaming down. If the road just carries on straight, I would miss the storm, and I have a quiet chuckle. Oh crap, the road turns to the left, sending me straight on course for the area where the most lightning activity was taking place. So much for waving fists at the gods of thunder and lightning. I pass a farm B&B?maybe it is a good time to call it a day. No, come on you woozy, there are still a couple of hours riding time left!

a11.jpg

a11-1.jpg

At the same time that the first rain drops splatter down, the road turns into gravel. The thunder claps hard above me and the lightning appears close in front.

a11-2.jpg

a12.jpg

a13.jpg

a13-1.jpg

a13-2.jpg

a13-3.jpg

Now, with regard to rain in the Karroo, it is one of the most invigorating moments to experience, everything feels alive, the dry ground opening up to accept the gift and the smells that you get from the wet veld invigorates the senses.

I initially thought that the gravel road would turn into sludge, but the rain merely turned it a little soft and it actually makes for good riding surface. Then it starts to come down harder?ouch, that one hurt?and that one?and that one?oh gosh, it is hail, and it is coming down hard now together with ferocious rain! This sudden burst almost completely destroys the ?middelmannetjie? and it is actually better to ride where the middelmannetjie was before with the water streaming down the tracks. And just as sudden it stops?

a14.jpg

a15.jpg

a16.jpg

5 k?s further, the road has already soaked up the water and it becomes easy riding. Where puddles remains the bike makes a few twitches, nothing intimidating, but I was glad that I fitted a new back tyre the week before.

a17.jpg

a18.jpg

a19.jpg

a20.jpg

a21.jpg

a22.jpg

a23.jpg

Van Wyksvlei. I ask a local about accommodation in the town and they point me to the ?lanie? who runs the hotel. At the same time, I am offered some of the local feminine cuisine?jeez, have previous bikers actually set a precedent here?

I have a chat with what appears to be the only lanie in town ? the town is out of water and they are not allowed to take in people. He advises that I go on to Carnavaron, 80k?s further. Now, if it had not rained, it would have gone on to Verneukpan and camped, but everything around me is wet. And the sun is setting fast, so I head to Carnavaron. Sorry, no spectacular sunset pics, I am just concentrating to not cross the huge middelmannetjie and dodge the small buck! One actually runs a couple of metres alongside me, another darts across the road about five metres in front of the bike! This is where I start to slow down, no use being taken out by the easter bunny & co. It is now completely dark, and in the distance the lightning provides a magnificent show.

I eventually reach Carnavaron, and then the heaven open in a fury. The area needs the rain.

a24.jpg

a25.jpg