Amageza Run (Clanwilliam)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shirts:

• Total voters
C

Camelman

Yo dogs.

How about a real DS ride. A gravel and k@k, duck-walking, swearing, praying, pushing, grinning, and very befuckte ride. This 'Run' will decide who is a Real Wild M@$#$-F@%#$ Dog or a wannabe poser. (The latter is only for the groot-bekke on the forum who never ride but has 2000 + posts of comments. Don't look at you looking at me... You know who you are.  :imaposer:)

But note:
This is NOT a race. It's a Navigation-challenge/ run.
The aim is too finish before the cut-off time sun-set. Think of it as the Baviaans MTB Race Attekwas One-day MTB race for DS bikes.

The name should say it all: Amageza:

amageza (N. 6, plural)
Eng: madman; lunatic

Date:             9 April 2010.
Start Time:    07:00.
Place:            Langebaan
Cut-off time:  17:00 sun-set
End venue:    Clanwilliam
Fee:               480

Route
In short. A navigation challenge, with only one rule. Get to the end in one piece. The Nav directions will be in the format used in the Dakar Rally. But we'll go cheap and make it flip-over A5 size notes.

Navigation.
  • All participants will be provided with a road-book. This will be in the style used on the Dakar, although it will be printed on paper and laminated. I will try and keep it as small and efficient as possible.

Here is a sample (size is A5, which means this pic is just about the same size as the real thing) :
AmagezaClanwilliamRunLeg1_1.jpg

The road-book explained:
What you see FLTR-TB: (From left to right - top to bottom)
-The road-book name.
-Author
-Description
-Total and Way-point number
-Total Kilometers traveled so far in leg.
-Part = Kilometers traveled since last way-point.
-image representation of the road, or important information.
-Text description of information required ie: Ride on a heading of 091T (91 degrees true) or 067M (67 degrees magnetic.)

The road-book described:
-At Leg Distance 0.50 (500m) you will pass a road to your right, continue straight on current heading 091T (for GPS's) or 067M for compass.
-At Leg Distance 6.50 (6.5km), 6.00 (6km) from the previous way-point, you will cross a road, continue on a heading of 091T or 067M.
- etc...
-At Leg Distance 46.50 there is a control point. Write down the farm name. (Don't ask me why  ;D this will come in the rules section later.  :deal:!)
- etc....
-At odometer reading 83.00 there is danger. The reason for the danger is: 'Track washed away.'

• Compass. You will need this. Know the difference between True and Magnetic North. The road-book will show direction as True.
  • Make sure your trip meter works, and know the off-set. The road-book will give all distances as GPS logged. At certain way-points the road book will give you a reading of what the distance remaining is, etc.
  • You need a range of 300km per tank before reserve. If you can't then strap on a jerry. Else you may miss the cut-off due to having to re-route to re-fuel somewhere.

If you can't navigate, then hang onto the tails of a rider who can.

Gear and equipment
  • Compass or GPS.
  • A place to put the road-book where you can see it easily. Size A5 or A6 flipover.
  • Decent riding kit. Remember the hospitals are far from where we'll be operating.
  • Minimum of 2l of water, to be refilled when re-fueling. A normal camel-bak should suffice. Remember, that area is 40 Deg +, and you'll be working hard on your bike.
  • You and your bike must be licensed and road-legal
  • Everything you need to keep your bike running. Spare tubes etc. You need to be entirely self-sufficient.
  • Refueling points T.B.A. The back-up vehicle will have emergency fuel. You will be disqualified if you run out of fuel, and need assistance from the back-up fuel. You may get assistance from another competitor.

Media coverage and video, etc:
Robin Brown is a journalist. He has offered he's assistance as back-up and media.

Bikes:
  • Bikes must be road-legal. I'll personally call the cops if you rock up at the start with a plastic bike or quad or tricycle or even a flippen broom!  :deal:
  • Bikes are limited to 600cc and above.

For the more sane of mind:
If you doubt your ability to do the Run, you can be a Marshall, and still be part of the event. I'll even get a t-shirt made for you as well. That means you will not have to do the hectic stuff, but will required to be at certain points for a certain period. If you're cool with that, please put your name up as:

mysupernick (marshall)

What you get out of it:
You may ride some roads you did not know existed.
You will get a T-shirt.
You will get a Run-decal for your bike that will be the envy of all the chickens.
You might possibly walk around like John Wayne for a couple of days.
You will earn bragging rights at every bike get-together.

The route: Continued
The following is the basic route I plotted. More specifics to follow.
Leg 1: +/- 290km:50%  Open gravel, 10% tarmac, 40% loose and sandy gravel road, 0% jeep track.
Leg 2: +/- 380 km: 10% Open gravel, 4% tarmac, 30% loose and sandy gravel road, 56% jeep track.

Diary:
Monday 21 Feb 2011 08: 30
Morning all the Amageza's!

This weekend I clocked up 1600km of sand and jeep track. Broke a couple of my own records and eish, my bike's she's not well!  >:D

The route is looking good. Spoke to a couple of farmers and some are very keen to get involved. So be ready.

I would reccommend this training if you want to make the cut-off.
- Ride 7-8 hour technical distances.
- Practice your sand riding.
- Practice emergency maneuvers like jumping small obstacles, narrow deep gully's and deep wash-out drop-off's.
- Find a place on your bike you can stick a compass, and a A5 size directions board, then do the above while keeping a eye on you odometer and road-book.

The logo is finished (my brother who designed the Cape Pioneer decals, was so kind to assist!  ;)), and I can't wait to see it.

I have also decided to limit the bikes to 600cc and above. This is the Amageza Run , THE INSANE! Not the Kosikasi (Married woman) Run. Doing technical rides on a small and light bike is not insane, is the correct thing to do. Well, we are not flippen Kosikasi, WE ARE AMAGEZA!!!  >:D

Tuesday 22 Feb 2011 08:40
Good morning Amageza!
Due to the logistical constraints and very limited time I have, I have to limit the number of entries to 35. That includes the Marshall's. The venue I have booked for the price-giving and dinner, can only seat a maximum of 60 people. This leaves us some space for a spouse, family member or friend.

This means there is only one more space available.  :mwink:

Wednesday 23 Feb 2011 08:40
Good morning all!
All the spaces are full for this event! Thats great.  :thumleft:

Now, I know all the would-be participants have a zillion questions, and I promise you, I am working feverously to get everything done.

All fees-related info will be available on the 1st of March.

A sample road-book, trip data, equipment list, etc. will be available on the 9th of March, giving you a month to prepare.

Please watch this space for updates.

Thursday 24 Feb 2011 08:40
Molo Amagezi!!
  • The departure point is booked, set and the cops will help us out of Langebaan.
  • I am meeting with the relevant people in Clanwilliam over the weekend to sort out our arrival params.
  • The road-book software is completed and mapping will commence as soon as my bike is back from the doctor.
  • I will know by the 9th of March how many Medical Doctors we have.
  • Satellite phone is ordered and will arrive next week.
  • Web-site going up soon: www.amageza.com
  • Quotes received for MX and T-shirts. Looks bef@k but the MX-shirts R250 more than T-shirt. Still cheaper than bike-shops though. Will get back to you on that one.
  • Off to the printers now to sort out the Run-numbers and Decals.

Can you believe its only been a week since I lost my mind? Damn, time flies when you're having fun!  ;D

Oh yeah, go check this out if you can't remember lekker your Geography from school-days! https://www.magnetic-declination.com/what-is-magnetic-declination.php

Friday 25 Feb 2011 08:40

Morning Amageza!

I will be finilizing our departure, and arrival/function points this weekend. Still a short piece of the route to recon. Will try and fit it in as well. Next week I will complete the roadbook and final preperations.

All info will be ready on the 9th of March.

I need a mugshot of you. Without your bike. Face only. This will be used under the 'Rider Profile' section on the Amageza Website soon to be launched.

So please take a nice close-up one, size 150x150 and save it somewhere. When the site is ready, further instructions will follow.

Monday 28 Feb 2011 08:30

Good morning Amageza.

Did 300km before breakfeast Sunday morning. Tested a new jeep track, but, too many gates. So sticking to the original route, which is technical enough!  >:D

The final fees, what's included, travel, and sleeping arrangements, will be posted this week. As promised all will be available on the 9th of March.

Friday 4 Mar 2011 06:36

Good morning Amageza.

Competitor entries are now set to a Maximum of 30.
Marshal's entries are now set to a Maximum of 10.

I will be mapping the final route this weekend. Remember to get a small picture of yourself for the rider-profile.

Later,
A

Tubesday 8 Mar 2011 16:07

Tomorrow is D-day. Its been busy. Almost have everything sorted.

BTW. Amageza is now on Twitter. Just search Amageza!

Wednesday 9 Mar 2011 16:07

Amageza is live www.amageza.com!
If you're on the ride send me your pic, so we can add it to your profile.
All information will hence be posted there, but we can keep posting here as well.  :thumleft: