About a dog named Gysie. Uitspan at Uiltjie's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
O

Oppad

A few of us had decided to get to Uiltjie's place early (see the massive planning a trip thread https://wilddogtours.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6375) , enjoy some of the scenery along the way, and sleep over at Uiltjie's guest house before Sunday's trip. Myself, Kilroy, Rudi (Rudeasy the non-poster) and Butch were to leave on Saturday morning. I arrived promptly at eight at Kilroy's place where I learned about his mishap the previous evening. He can tell you himself if he wants to. Anyway, it entailed some early morning repairs to the KLR and a stop at Helderberg Honda to buy a mirror for the Kawasaki. The pic shows the gathering point. Rudeasy is raring to go on theTransalp, Kilroy is lurking around in the background and Butch has disappeared.

At Houwhoek we turned off the N2 to take the old pass running next to the railway line.

Houwhoek hotel. Already past noon and about 100k's from Cape Town. Kilroy is having one of his recurrent fits of depression after Friday night's incident. Rudeasy loses his shoes for the first time. We decide not to explore the Greyton area as originally planned.

At last. Arriving at Uiltjie's wonderful abode between Caledon and Napier. This is the view from the bar. In the background is the guest house. Highly recommended. On the TV the Bulls beat the Stormers (Yeah!)

Social distinctions soon came to the fore:
The brandy corner. Uiltjie and youngest son serving the scum, Rudeasy and KilRoy

The wine corner with a more refined kin of patron, to wit: Nelia (da wife who arrived by car) and Butch. As for the rest of the evening: What happened on the farm stays at the farm. Suffice to say that Rudeasy was led home at 03:00 in the morning and ended up with his guide dog, a Labrador named Gysie, sleeping op top of his chest.

The next morning. The bikes start to pitch up from all over. Rudeasy takes the opportunity to regale every new arrival with the tale of him and Gysie. Here the story is forced upong Gravelmad and Mark Hardy

I miss the mass departure of 20 odd bikes from the farm and go riding on what I assume is a neighboring farm. When I realise my mistake, they're a long way off. Butch comes to the rescue by waiting at a turnoff. Eventually the whole posse is together again.

The Strandveld pub at Baardskeerdersbos. In the bar there is a set of printed rules on the wall, one of these expressly forbidding "lewd acts on the premises"

Baardskeerdersbos: Irritated with people who don't want to hear about him and Gysie, Rudeasy takes off his shoes to draw attention. Gravelmad and Mark Hardy have been there before and refuse to be sidetracked

Back at the farm Rudeasy takes advantage of vulnerable women and children and finds a fresh audience

Well satisfied Wilddogs and out of earshot of Rudeasy

More of the same: Bobnob (not) and Butch and Frik to the right. A hell of a lunch was laid out for us by Uiltjie's friendly and pretty wife, Betsie and friends. Unfortunately I could not find a pic of her or the food, or Gysie.

Goodbye guesthouse (highly recommended)

The track. Uiltjie really went out of his way to put together a circle route of about 150km that included just about every kind of road you will ever come across. Twisty tar, dirt highways, various kind of gravel, sand, tweespoor tracks, plaaspaadjies, heavy klippers and just great fun all around. It was extremely well organised and the Uiltjies are wonderful hosts. I'm sure that I speak on behalf of all the Wilddogs who went on the trip, but a very special thank you from the five of us who stayed over on Saturday. We won't forget the krokodilletjie in a hurry!

[/url]