Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 690 Adventure R  (Read 5413 times)

Offline Avontier

• Coitus reservatus
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
690 Adventure R
« on: March 07, 2011, 10:13:02 am »
So it seems KTM is performing a social experiment.

They know it will sell well in SA, and in a few other countries. They already spent the $$ in developing it, and they have the means to produce and sell it easily. They would be the first to produce a potent adventure bike weighing in at less than 140 kg, and with excellent suspension. Why would it not sell??

The only reason I can think of for them not producing it, is because they are sadists of the worst kind. Getting high on watching people go mad in anticipation. The seats they produce is another case in point.

I just couldn't take it any longer, and decided to build my own. I've found a bike I'm gonna buy, and decided on the Rally Raid Kit, which is basically an adaptation of the 990 fairing. The stainless steel Touratech pannier racks will do luggage duty, while a better seat still has to be decided on.

Something like this:

Has anybody else here done it? How good is the Cox Special, and the Pro Action jobbie?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 10:13:39 am by Avontier »

Offline Clockwork Orange

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
Re: 690 Adventure R
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 10:23:23 am »
Drool slobber slobber :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
When in doubt...grab throttle!!!

Offline Desert Snoek

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 10:27:05 am »
I'm busy doing the same thing at the moment after changing from the Adventure 990. Decided on the Omega unit (Pro Action) primarily cause it's local, established and hopefully provide better long term support. This and the fact that they are currently fitted by KTM dealers while not affecting warranty etc. I spoke to Alfie Cox about their unit and it seems a very nice piece of kit too.

My thinking is that IF the new adventure launches late in 2012 (that's the last I heard), I will let it run another year by which time major niggles have been sorted and/or 2nd hand units become available. That leaves me close on 3 years to enjoy the current bike. If it is working for me I keep it ... if not then the option is there for an adventure later on.

From the research I have done the major obstacles for the 690 Enduro R as an adventure bike are wind/elements protection on long rides, fuel range and that little thing they pretend to call a seat. The rally kit will address the first 2 and I am going to have my seat done custom.

I love the bike currently and think this will suit me perfectly for my needs,particularly as I don't do pillion. I'll add in the GiantLoop soft luggage and that's going to be it for me.

Now just have to come up with nice graphic scheme  :mwink:
We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are

Offline Avontier

• Coitus reservatus
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 10:36:52 am »
I have emailed Gutsracing and asked them if they would add an inch of foam to their seat. I have used their seats on plastic bikes, and they are really comfy.

You interested?

http://www.gutsracing.com/pages/ktm737.html

What does the Pro Action kit cost?

Offline the_wes

• Occasional Perpetrator
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Harley Davidson (all models)
    • Rather be Riding
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 10:39:32 am »
Personally, I am not a fan of the 990 adapted fairing - it just looks oversized to me, but that could be my taste. I would also be concerned about it being too big or heavy, but again, that fear is based purely on perception, I haven't had any experience with it myself... and i must admit, that's also based on earlier models i've seen - the one in your original pic looks much better balanced, and truly droolworthy  :drif:

Though it may not be the most "rallye" looking setup out there, from a practicality and cost point of view, personally I would do the following to a 690 to "adventurise" it:
- RV aqualine safari tank - http://www.justgastanks.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_17_371&products_id=1049
- Lynx fairing (better lighting, wind protection and space to mount dash and GPS) - http://www.britanniacomposites.com/lynx.html
- new seat, or DIY overhaul (like the GUTs option!)
- subframe re-inforcement if necessary

yeah, not the prettiest option, but it should work well. unless you are planning to mount a GPS, speedo, roadbook, and a bunch of other rally gadgets, you might be paying for a lot of stuff you don't need.

just my unsolicited 2c  :ricky: :peepwall:

« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 10:41:24 am by the_wes »

Offline Desert Snoek

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 10:45:56 am »
Thanks Avontier ... that looks a viable option. Glad to see they made it wider and not just foam compound. Width, or lack of, is the killer on the current seat. After 200km I feel like I've been violated  :imaposer:

The rally kits are all in the same region from the homework I've done ... and very $$$. The ProAction one is R28K, but I know that if you buy it with the 690 it comes down to R23K. It is one of those close your eyes, do it, and forget about it decisions I think. Not too sure it the numbers will make sense in the short term at least. We'll see what cost the new adventure comes in at and maybe feel better then, although I'm sure that it will be a better machine all round  ;)

Kak en betaal .. kak en betaal ....  :P

Offline the_wes

• Occasional Perpetrator
  • Forum Whore
    • Rather be Riding
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 10:51:31 am »
The ProAction one is R28K, but I know that if you buy it with the 690 it comes down to R23K.

the lynx / safari tank combo will cost roughly R10k - R12k  :eek7: but like i said - it's not a "proper" Rally kit (which the pro-action setup presumably is)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 10:53:03 am by the_wes »

Offline Mark Hardy

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 10:54:07 am »
I am so staying out of this thread.... ;D

Offline Avontier

• Coitus reservatus
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 11:07:49 am »
Thanks Wes, I'll check them out. This December I've seen the RR version as described above, and took it for a spin. It is absolutely stunning  :drif:

And it handles like is a plastic bike!!

Offline the_wes

• Occasional Perpetrator
  • Forum Whore
    • Rather be Riding
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 11:09:19 am »
Thanks Wes, I'll check them out. This December I've seen the RR version as described above, and took it for a spin. It is absolutely stunning  :drif:

And it handles like is a plastic bike!!

in that case, turns out i WAS wrong about the extra weight upfront  :thumleft:

The big advantage of course with the setup you posted VS the lynx is that (I assume) it's frame mounted, where the lynx is fork-mounted...

Offline Kenisis

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Dubai
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 11:19:51 am »
http://www.rally-raidproducts.co.uk/store/KTM-690-Enduro-R-SMC/Adventure-Fairing-Kit/KTM-690-Adventure-Fairing-Kit

If you want. I bought my Road book from these guys, They seem to know what they are doing!
2012 KTM 990 Adventure
2015 KTM Rally Replica
2016 Husqvarna FE 450
2017 Husqvarna FC 450

Offline Avontier

• Coitus reservatus
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2011, 11:26:51 am »
It is frame mounted, with a really sturdy billet allu-alloy skeleton. The tanks are 5l each, made from plastic, and supposedly more resilient and less prone to cracks or fatigue than composite materials.

The Lynx-Safari tank option is probably the more sensible option. Cheaper, lighter and tougher. Unfortunately it is butt ugly, and makes my tolleman collapse at the base.

Offline Avontier

• Coitus reservatus
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2011, 11:30:12 am »

Offline Runner

• Forum Vendor
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • Willearea
    • Off Road Cycles
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2011, 08:11:10 pm »
OFFROAD CYCLES:
For all your Offroad and Adventure Motorcycle needs.
Conrad Koen 012 333 6443 | info@offroadcycles.co.za
22 Blesbok Ave, Koedoespoort Industrial, Pretoria.

Offline Avontier

• Coitus reservatus
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2011, 12:59:11 am »
I received my bike (BIG thanks to Stofstreep!), and most of the mod parts. I have started fitting, and it is quite a job! Will post some pics after the weekend.

Offline Desert Snoek

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2011, 11:10:07 am »
Hi,

I have finally had the Omega/ProAction/Local kit fitted and thought I'd post result here with some observations.

I have found it to be much more stable/solid than I anticipated after seeing it in detached parts. The difference when travelling at higher speeds is huge for me (at 6') i.r.o of wind protection. It also appears that the bike is marginally more stable at higher speeds too, but this could be subjective  :eek7:
The only 'criticism' I'd have is that a dash cover of sorts is not supplied i.e. your odo meter is moved up to dash and all that, but completely open behind that, so wiring/cable fairly exposed. I don't think it is an issue necessarily, but a dash panel of sorts would look better and allow opportunity to fit out gizmo's and outlets. Not a biggie, will do something myself in this regard shortly.

All in all very happy with the setup  :thumleft: Just thought I'd drop my 2c if it can help someone else.

Still need to sort the seat, although my butt is getting used to being violated it seems ... it's not bothering as much anymore. Although I'm sure a long day riding will be a killer still, so going to get it done.

Offline Rough Rider

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Hang time
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2011, 11:30:18 am »
I personally don't see the point of any of this, you buy a bike due to light weight and good power and then add a whole lot of weight again.
Current rides: 2015 WR250F / 2016 690R / 2017 701SM

Offline Avontier

• Coitus reservatus
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2011, 11:36:22 am »
It's still way lighter and faster than an XT.  ;)

Offline Rough Rider

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Hang time
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2011, 11:42:37 am »
Indeed, but I haven't found one yet that keeps up with my Husqvarna 610 
Current rides: 2015 WR250F / 2016 690R / 2017 701SM

Offline Desert Snoek

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2011, 12:51:03 pm »
Hi RR,

I do see the point you're making and went through a similar thought process first. The weight gain is relaively insignificant and for someone that is not trying to ride technical / enduro to the extreme I believe not an issue. Like all things guess it depends on what application is for and orientation of the rider. I wanted a bike that could do more adventure / DS riding but at the same time had good suspension and reduced weight over the previous 990 I had. For me I achieved that with what I now have,  but naturally it will differ from person to person. I guess in a perfect world more than one bike is the way to go perhaps, but feel that now I have a machine that can relatively easily cover the distances for touring Iwithout having to stress about fuel range the whole way), but still handle the rougher terrain when required.

In the end I guess people pay to make things the way that makes sense for them, but not necessarily sense for all  :D