Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Want to let me use your car for a few days?  (Read 482 times)

Offline tomrinbellingham

• Puppy
  • Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
  • Making friends in high places - Peruvian Andes
Want to let me use your car for a few days?
« on: March 07, 2011, 11:04:01 pm »
I'm coming to Johannesburg on March 17 - landing at JHB at 7am - and need a car until about the 22nd while getting the bikes ready for our ride Up Africa to Egypt then Germany. Need something that will hold 3 of us and a few pieces of luggage.

Of course, I can rent something at the airport. But someone suggest that I might post this and if some "dog" has a vehicle they can spare for a few days, we could both gain a little on the deal. Airport rental would cost me about $140 US plus fuel for 6 days. Let me know ASAP or I'll have to reserve something from rental company.

We are all from North America (US and Canada) and we are well past driving like teenagers :angel5:  -- at least we are when driving cars! I have driven on the "wrong" side of the road :) a lot in Ireland, Scotland, and England.

We will be traveling back and forth from Airport to Fourways and Fairland and Bryanston -- all, I think, in or near Johannesburg area while refitting the bikes and getting sorted out for the trip north.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 11:05:47 pm by tomrinbellingham »
Tom
Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile. Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should sing and dance -- and ride motorcycles.

Offline Manic

• Little Fat Guy
  • Vendors
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
Re: Want to let me use your car for a few days?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 12:15:00 am »
If you convert that 140 US into our rands, you cant even buy a back tyre for a bike.

Dont think the guys would run all that risk for 140 US.

Rather rent one bud  :thumleft:

Offline tomrinbellingham

• Puppy
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 01:25:06 am »
Maybe so. I've let people (motorbike riders and Couchsurfers) use one of my cars for a short time a few times. Maybe there's somebody like me  ::)over there. If not, I'll rent from Thrifty.

I'm coming to Johannesburg on March 17 - landing at JHB at 7am - and need a car until about the 22nd while getting the bikes ready for our ride Up Africa to Egypt then Germany. Need something that will hold 3 of us and a few pieces of luggage.

Of course, I can rent something at the airport. But someone suggest that I might post this and if some "dog" has a vehicle they can spare for a few days, we could both gain a little on the deal. Airport rental would cost me about $140 US plus fuel for 6 days. Let me know ASAP or I'll have to reserve something from rental company.

We are all from North America (US and Canada) and we are well past driving like teenagers :angel5:  -- at least we are when driving cars! I have driven on the "wrong" side of the road :) a lot in Ireland, Scotland, and England.

We will be traveling back and forth from Airport to Fourways and Fairland and Bryanston -- all, I think, in or near Johannesburg area while refitting the bikes and getting sorted out for the trip north.

Tom
Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile. Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should sing and dance -- and ride motorcycles.

Offline XTFREAK

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • B+
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 02:55:52 pm »
It might look like we are a bunch of D*** heads here but in all honesty, $140 is really a good price and you don't have the hassle of driving somebody else's car around. Rent it at that price as litrally we couldn't even buy a new tyre for that as mentioned before. Should something go wrong with the car while you had it it would be issue to sort out.

Offline Rolf

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Aprilia ETV1000 Caponord
  • Previously known as Vilaishima
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 03:04:50 pm »
I'd let you use my car but it takes some involvement driving it and would probably use more fuel than you would be able to rent a car for.
Now:  Royal Enfield Classic Chrome

Previously:  Zongshen 200GY - Aprilia Pegaso 650 iE - Aprilia Caponord 1000
                  Suzuki DRZ 400 SM - Yamaha Virago 535 Bobber - Aprilia Caponord Adventure

Offline tomrinbellingham

• Puppy
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 09:17:43 pm »
 :) Thanks guys. I will book my rental today.
Tom