The serious high mileage per day club

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coala

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Now I do not purport to exclude anybody from commenting here, but I would seriously appreciate input from those who have done 1000km per day plus trips. 
• What did you do to overcome boredom?
• How frequently have you stopped and for how long?
• What speeds do you travel at (or do you vary it)?
• What do you do to keep your ass from going numb?
• Water on your back – or on the bike?
• What time do you start and by when do you stop?
• What is the first thing you do when you stop for the day?
• What helmet do you use?
I find that travelling these distances you have to have your mind in order.  The reason for choosing the 1000km plus mark is that I have found that once you go over that distance, it really becomes more difficult. 
Here are some of my thoughts on the questions
• I-pod plugged in – but only for short distances (such as between fuelling stations).  Anything more and it affects    my ears.
• For re-fuelling – to clean visor and then for lunch (but not at a restaurant.  I take a take-away and stop next to the road – thus not a very long stop)
• It varies – between 100km/h and 180km/h depending on reach needed and road conditions.  I also vary speed every 100km or so by 20km/h
• I pack the silver luggage roll from BMW behind the top-case.  When tired and ass numb I sit on the luggage roll.  It moves the whole body position and helps almost as much as standing (but without the wind resistance)
• Both – if it is very hot I try to place ice-cubes in the back-pack and it helps with keeping the back cool – and a sip of cold water when it is 38+ certainly helps.
• Depending on the location, at first light.  In Namibia and Botswana slightly later, or I drive very slow for the first hour or so.  I try to stop before 16h00.
• BEER – first goes down in a drinking contest.  Second I savor in a swimming pool or in the shower
• Helmet – BMW endure and full-face as back-up.  Enduro helps with drinking water without stopping and sun visor is a huge help. Full face when it rains.