Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Low mileage Monsters.  (Read 854 times)

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
Low mileage Monsters.
« on: April 19, 2007, 05:12:41 pm »
Just a quicky, not getting involved in the Katoom / Roundel Kak.

But nobody questioned the fact that when two leading or trailing Forum members went to the Dark side, they both located immaculate recent 950S models with LOW mileage, relatively easily I think?

Why are these beaut,s available who buys a 950S puts 3500km,s on it and sells it?

Welsh  :?:  :D
An aspiring Coddiwompler

Offline BlouVark

• Race Dog
Re: Low mileage Monsters.
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 05:15:35 pm »
Quote from: "Welsh"
Why are these beaut,s available who buys a 950S puts 3500km,s on it and sells it?

Someone who's buying GS?
You can always rinse the surface
but the stain will remain.

Offline Lito

• BANNED TROLL
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • BANNED TROLL
Low mileage Monsters.
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 05:37:22 pm »
I will go one better.

I located a Super Enduro with 1500km's on it, with Akras, and selling it for 20 000 loss.

It went very quickly, but damn. Now thats just plain stoopid.

What are you trying to gain out of your question if you dont want to dip in the kak pool Welsh rarebit?

:roll:

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
Low mileage Monsters.
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 07:02:05 pm »
Quote from: "Lito"
I will go one better.

I located a Super Enduro with 1500km's on it, with Akras, and selling it for 20 000 loss.

It went very quickly, but damn. Now thats just plain stoopid.

What are you trying to gain out of your question if you dont want to dip in the kak pool Welsh rarebit?

:roll:

No it was an honest question, I just wonder what it is with some people buy the toy not use it sell it?

Welsh
An aspiring Coddiwompler

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
Low mileage Monsters.
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 07:10:10 pm »
Buyers remorse most probably. Or bought it and didn't use it. Need the money.

I think a lot of first time buyers, whether first time ever or change from road to DS and vica versa, do not do their homework properly. Resulting in buying the "wrong" bike for their needs.

My opinion. I only owned 2 bikes in my life. Can't really say. :wink:
He who angers you, controls you.

Offline GIDEON

• Born in the year of the Tiger
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Triumph 800 XC
  • Bikes est dans mon sang
Low mileage Monsters.
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 07:34:54 pm »
Maby Dad stoped giving money

Nobody can be exactly like me. Sometimes even I have trouble doing it.

Offline SGB

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • 1190R / 1200 GS LC / Husaberg TE 300
    • DS Rider Training
KTM's
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 07:51:42 pm »
I have seen a few where guys read forums like this, and buy bikes based on what is said here.  Then they take it "off-road", "see that's what it's made for" - all the forums and mags confirmed.  And then it is a little "different" out there, and not as pleasant as it looks on TV.  And then the bike is back in the showroom after a few more tar rides. :twisted:

Also, the "wealthy" buys a 950, has it in the garage, does not ride a lot (means very liitle), the 990 comes along, and he HAS to have the latest, then the low km 950 ends on the floor.

And it's not unique to KTM.  I saw an 1150 Adv with 3000 km this week. (SPOTLESS).  And there is a year old Honda CTX 200 with 300 km for sale too.  :twisted:
www.countrytrax.co.za

Riding a bike is not just about riding the bike....
Do not believe everything you think....

Online IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • What me worry?
Low mileage Monsters.
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2007, 07:55:38 pm »
i think journeyman pretty much hit the nail on the head.... okes see the ktm and it does look mean ...reckon they have to have to have it ,buy it an all their mates laugh at them cos their mates on bm's so they sell em and buy beeemers to be like their mates an go on the gs challenge and be hoitie toitee * no malice intended *

u see it in the superbike crowd all the time ....i was at suzuki central a couple of weeks ago , they had an immaculate 1000 k6 with i guess about 25k worth of accessories ...so i speak to greg and ask him why would someone sell such an immaculate low miler and take such a financial hit...his reply , the oke is selling it for the 07 model....now i is willing to put money down that the 06 with mods was way better than the 07 std ...oke will prolly buy 07 and spend another 25k ...oneupmanship sometimes plays a part...the 06 was selling for 90k or therabouts, thats a hit of 35k (plus whatever cut dealer is taking) in a lil more than a year.... i cannot afford a hit like that every model change .....
Born to lose, live to win!!

Offline Plothond

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • I was powerslide pozer KING & TV personality
Low mileage Monsters.
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2007, 08:20:14 pm »
What SGB & ICM said is probably the closest to the truth

I know of at least three cases where it it the one-up-manship that plays an integral part
One chap I know has had every model since the '04 - just wants the newest every year

Also , the 950/990 looks means and if you have a bit of moola - lets get it - most DS riders out there imagine themselves in the shoes of the greats - until the rude awakening.

When I discovered this forum my bike was a year old with less than 5k on the clock - now 6 months later and it's heading for 15k.

...and also in my opinion, the BM's become regular commuters, whilst the KTM's are generally weekend warriors !!
I used to be indecisive, but I'm not so sure anymore

The butcher backed into the meat grinder and got a little behind in his work

Steady

Low mileage Monsters.
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2007, 08:21:55 pm »
MHO, I doubt that it has anything to do with the bike and 3500 k's is hardly enough to find out that the dealer support is, well, lets just say it's not as good as it could be. But I would think that as many other models are available. In fact it makes good sense to buy 2nd hand. 950 is a lekker bike, I looked at it and I liked it very much.

Offline popipants

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
  • I came; I saw; I slept
Low mileage Monsters.
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2007, 08:51:14 pm »
I recon it is people buying these bikes, riding it to work a couple of times to show his mates he is a bad @ss biker. And then after 6 months the payment get's a bit much for something you hardly use and they sell it.

The sad part is that it is people like these that screw the 2nd hand market for okes who really use their bikes!!! Who wants to buy a used D/S bike with high milleage when they can get a 1 year old bike with 3k km on. And has never seen a dirt road.
I've been on the Jameson diet for a week, so far I've lost 7 days....

Online IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • What me worry?
Low mileage Monsters.
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2007, 08:59:12 pm »
Quote from: "popipants"
I recon it is people buying these bikes, riding it to work a couple of times to show his mates he is a bad @ss biker. And then after 6 months the payment get's a bit much for something you hardly use and they sell it.

The sad part is that it is people like these that screw the 2nd hand market for okes who really use their bikes!!! Who wants to buy a used D/S bike with high milleage when they can get a 1 year old bike with 3k km on. And has never seen a dirt road.

Good for ppl like Pat though ,,make a good living outta that  :wink:
Born to lose, live to win!!

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Pikipiki Overland
Low mileage Monsters.
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2007, 09:16:13 pm »
Check it out the sentence will always start with "I like the look of this bike"

You can be sure, no research went into that just love at first sight. And being more male orientated game, ego and metal lust don't allow you to reason with logic.

I am on my second 1200 now the first did 45000km in the last two years, I really had a very hard time keeping things cool not to go the 1200ADV/990 route, at one stage I convinced myself the HP2 will keeps it's value and is a excellent commuter, tourer and general play bike. :roll:

In the end I just past over all the bling to the new bike, so at least I haven't lost money on the add on as well, and they half in value when you sell the bike.

KTM is testosterone, fast action and many people get punished by that, but that's what makes it such a desirable bike and fun to ride and own

Offline funacide

• Administrator
  • Race Dog
    • Mediro Business Service Management
Low mileage Monsters.
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2007, 09:42:04 pm »
I looked at 3 different bikes when I bought the 950S and 2 of the sellers were changing to the 990S and the other one was buying a 950 SE.

I think quite a few are on the market because of the 990's release. I have yet to find someone who switched from the KTM to the GS (not that I have looked very hard  :lol: )
KTM 1190 ADV R

Offline popipants

• Race Dog
  • I came; I saw; I slept
Low mileage Monsters.
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2007, 07:53:34 am »
Quote from: "funacide"
I looked at 3 different bikes when I bought the 950S and 2 of the sellers were changing to the 990S and the other one was buying a 950 SE.

The same thing happend on the Beemer side. 2nd hand 1200's were scarce but when the 1200adv was launched lots of ppl sold there 1200's for adv's.
I've been on the Jameson diet for a week, so far I've lost 7 days....

Offline Mark Hardy

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
Low mileage Monsters.
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2007, 06:04:11 pm »
I saw the new 990 S. 8) .............mmmmmmmmmmm
I wonder. :roll: .........950 ADv with 24000km...1 year old and never seen the dirt(ok let me wash it first)....R90 000.00