Thumperfest

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sidetrack

Grumpy Mutt
Reaction score
On Thursday evening I got a call from Redrider to ask if I would like to go on a ride on Saturday morning. Now weekends are made for riding dirtbikes so I was ready for this one. The riders for Saturday included Redrider (XR 650), KTMjags (XR 650) who switched from the darkside to the big H, Runner (XR 650 HRC) and me on the DRZ. At seven we met at the local Sasol garage and headed in the general direction of Kwamahlanga.

Runners HRC kitted XR 650, what a nice bike !

DSCF6959.jpg

Group photo before hitting the dirt.

DSCF6960.jpg

Early morning and we thumped through the quiet countryside.

DSCF6961.jpg

I remembered this stretch from the long way round trip, can?t believe a year has allready passed. KTMjags and Runner approaching.

DSCF6963.jpg

Quick stop for some fuel while being entertained by booming music from the local tavern.

DSCF6965.jpg

Now here is something you don?t see everyday, a trailer falling from a trailer. Luckily no one hurt so off we went heading north towards some inviting dirtroads.

DSCF6968.jpg

Innie langras

DSCF6966.jpg

After some twists and turns we arrived at a dirt road which turned into ds nirvana. If God ever created riding areas with XR 650?s in mind the next 20 odd km would be it. It had everything from sandy to rocky patches, high speed jumps and dry riverbed crossings. It reminded me very much off the pics I have seen off Baja posted on ADVrider by the Yanks. I even spotted some cactus next to the trail, Baja in Africa. The guys opened the 650?s up and I got the opportunity for some action shots.

Redrider doing a Johnny Cambell wfo.

DSCF6970.jpg

KTMjags

DSCF6971.jpg

The sand not too thick just enough to be entertaining

DSCF6973.jpg

One of numerous dry riverbed crossings, washouts whatever it's called ?

DSCF6974.jpg

KTMjags blasting through ?

DSCF6975.jpg

?.. and getting some air

DSCF6976.jpg

Redrider

DSCF6977.jpg

Runner, I like this pic !

DSCF6978.jpg

Hanging my head in shame after not getting some airtime :?

DSCF6979.jpg

After the stretch the BRP?s with the stock tanks needed a refill, luckily a caf�© was close by and the cokes tasted great. Runner got stuck into a pilchard snack untill the booming sounds of Westlife drove us back into the bushveld

DSCF6981.jpg

DSCF6982.jpg

A quick run to Kwamahlanga was decided on, things really changed since my last ride here. It is really overgrown and we spun and pushed branches out of the way in the riverbed.

DSCF6983.jpg

DSCF6984.jpg

It was decided to rather return armed with a chainsaw and 200 two strokes :D

Runner and KTMjags consulting the gps on a way out of the valley and back to civilisation.

DSCF6986.jpg

The route back to PTA was along some good but dusty gravel roads. A big thanks to the guys for a great ride, The tracks were killer and I really enjoyed the outing. Untill next time, see ya !