Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: New 2011 BMW G 650 GS  (Read 1560 times)

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
Re: New 2011 BMW G 650 GS
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2011, 02:28:04 pm »

Wainting three months for a BMW variator belt does not help your argument here.

It certainly doesn't, but then if we start making a list we are sure to find that with BMW, waiting is the exception to the rule, whereas with the Japanese makes, waiting is the rule.  

At what point does having a decent bike become more important than the gold leaf wrapping. Ie the loan bike , shiny floors and free coffee?

Thing is, the word "decent" is subjective.  I believe I do have a decent bike (you may differ, but it is my bike and therefore the only opinion that matters is mine) and on top of that I have much cheaper finance, the loan bike, free coffee, 10000km service intervals and the shiny floors.  
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 02:34:13 pm by AMZ »
#33 #BRADICAL!
#40 #DIVEBOMB!

Offline AntVan

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • I am the Zipslayer! Hear me zzzzzzzzp!
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2011, 04:38:36 pm »

:happy1:
I don't always drop my bike, but when I do, I prefer to drop her in front of a crowd

Offline badseed

• Ride the adventure
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • KTM 990S, KTM690R , Vespa 200GT
    • www.wildwood.capetown
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2011, 09:45:19 pm »
My problem is not with the BMW sales guy. It's the big marketing con. Somehow they've managed to create a legend out of the GS650 (single) through a marketing masterpiece. It is and always was a very average motorcycle. It's not even a BMW  but an outsourced Italian Aprillia with a go-cart engine and suspension from the seventies that BMW have slapped a crazy price and badge onto. The best part of the trick is they've managed to create a new pool of buyers instead of taking market share from the Jap bikes. Brilliant.

Before I'm again accused of being anti BMW , I think they make some stunning bikes. The GS1200 and various other big road tourers are stunning machines , never mind the new 1000RR.

MY big gripe is mainly that the GS650 is the DEFAULT starter dual bike. At least ride the others before accepting the cheap finance and good coffee.
Owner WildWood Motorcycle Tours South Africa

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2011, 06:02:26 am »
MY big gripe is mainly that the GS650 is the DEFAULT starter dual bike. At least ride the others before accepting the cheap finance and good coffee.

I fully agree with almost everything you say, but the briliance of the marketing is that a heck of a lot of prospectyive buyers will not test ride the competition before buying a Beemer and that is exactly what makes BMW so brilliant.  Any manufacturer, regardless of whether they sell bikes or toasters, that can model their business in this manner will be a top seller and incredibly succesfull on a sustainable level.

For me, the question really is, if BMW can do this, why are the other manufacturers not even trying?  It is a competitive market.  As an example, personally I would prefer the DL650 Zook over the G650GS by a loooong shot.  Now, go try find an advertisment for the DL650 anywhere.  Try and find one to test ride from a Zook dealer.  Try and find one on display at a bike show such as AMID.  Try and buy one.  Suzuki (and I loved my DL1000 and I am a huge Suzuki fan) just does not come to the party anywhere near the manner in which BMW does. 
#33 #BRADICAL!
#40 #DIVEBOMB!

Offline plonker

« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2011, 02:11:11 pm »
BMW sold the 650 Dakkie/GS/Funduro by the bucket load.Sales are always a good way to tell if a bike is good or not.The buying public won't buy crap for long.The new 650 single is not really old technology at all.They basically changed nothing except cosmetics.That tells me the bike is good.The engines are bullet proof too.But it is rather a heavy bike for a "first time"girlie bike there I agree. The dakkie wet was nearly 200kg.

Offline Gryskop

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2011, 03:43:52 pm »
Excellent commuter
BMW R 1200 GS ADV
Kawa KLR 650

Never fear the unknown!

Offline Tintin

• Race Dog
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2011, 04:30:22 pm »
saw a red one in Auto Alpina this weekend. No idea on price.

It still has the false exhaust. I never understood that...
Above the planet on a wing and a prayer,
My grubby halo, a vapour trail in the empty air
Across the clouds I see my shadow fly
Out of the corner of my watering eye
A dream unthreatened by the morning light Could blow this soul right through the roof of the night Tongue tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit. I

Flamingo

« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2011, 05:06:27 pm »
I took delivery of my first proper bike on Saturday, -  this awesome G 650 GS.   So be nice!  I am a new rider and new to the forum.  I simply love the way it handles, super smooth and very easy to ride, got the crash bars & bash plate, so I am sorted for any possible hiccups.  I am a chick and the size and weight is perfect for me to handle with ease.  I agree the spoke wheels look great, but hey this bike is different, so why conform! :) :) ;D ;D

Offline Dirty Des

« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2011, 05:17:51 pm »

And what about the "little vibration" that you told me about?

Enjoy your bike and come ride the Dirt with us,  and if you feel nervous, give Malabu a  buzz, she will have you sorted in no time........

Flamingo

« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2011, 05:26:42 pm »
Oops how could I forget to mention the slight vibration, silly me, how could I not remember that.  :laughing4:  Will do dirt once I am a bit more experienced, still too new for me, would hate to drop my baby!

Offline growweblaar

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Somerset West
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2011, 05:30:13 pm »
And what about the "little vibration" that you told me about?

Big singles vibrate. The 650GS is actually not too bad in that department. The resonant spot on the Dakar is at around 5000 rpm (110-125kmh in 5th): is it the same on the new G650GS?

Drop down to 100 or speed up to 140 :ricky:

Offline badseed

• Ride the adventure
  • Race Dog
    • www.wildwood.capetown
« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2011, 10:08:26 pm »
The question Flamingo is my same question I always ask. Did you ride the other alternatives? Did you give try the brands that don't have the cash to contunualy tell you how good they are.? The brands that don't have mega budgets to get journos pissed in exotic destinations all around Southern Africa and hence favourable reviews.

Out of interest it was notable that Yamaha have reasonably successfully employed the same tactic with the new 1200 and created quite a buzz out of an unexeptional new bike. (just my humble opinion of course.)

Offline nemodakar

« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2011, 05:33:36 am »
Tintin it's not a false exhaust, it's a catalytic converter.

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2011, 05:56:45 am »
saw a red one in Auto Alpina this weekend. No idea on price.

It still has the false exhaust. I never understood that...

As Nemodakar said, it is not a false exhaust.  The pipe coming down the left of the bike first enters the canister on the left, which is the catalytic converter and not a silencer.  It then passed under the sseat to te canister on the right, which is the actual silencer.

The question Flamingo is my same question I always ask. Did you ride the other alternatives? Did you give try the brands that don't have the cash to contunualy tell you how good they are.? The brands that don't have mega budgets to get journos pissed in exotic destinations all around Southern Africa and hence favourable reviews.

Out of interest it was notable that Yamaha have reasonably successfully employed the same tactic with the new 1200 and created quite a buzz out of an unexeptional new bike. (just my humble opinion of course.)

How and where do you find the alternatives to test ride?  Which are the alternatives?  Case in point.  You mention Yamaha's noise about the SuperTen.  That was my first choice of bike when I wanted to buy a bike last year.  I eventually went for the Beemer, because after a week of trying, I still could not get a Yamaha to test ride.  Trade in agreed.  Finance approved.  No bike to test ride.  This is not about alleged megabucks, or so-called pissed and/or  bribed journos, but purely about super smooth service from one and not so hot service from another.

I took delivery of my first proper bike on Saturday, -  this awesome G 650 GS.   So be nice!  I am a new rider and new to the forum.  I simply love the way it handles, super smooth and very easy to ride, got the crash bars & bash plate, so I am sorted for any possible hiccups.  I am a chick and the size and weight is perfect for me to handle with ease.  I agree the spoke wheels look great, but hey this bike is different, so why conform! :) :) ;D ;D

Congrats!  You will not regret your choice.  One of the hats I wear is that of rider instructor at a well known riding school.  This puppy GS does everything you need and more.  It is, imho, one of the best beginner, lady and commuter bikes around.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 06:08:17 am by AMZ »
#33 #BRADICAL!
#40 #DIVEBOMB!

Offline Christian Kuun

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Wynkop Kuun- Onder die Wyntenk in Stellies
    • My Web Album
« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2011, 08:25:36 am »
Congrats on the new scoot Flamingo.

Badseed, buying a bike is an emotional decision and a person wants everything to go smoothely. Firstly, you look for a bike that tickles your fancy in the looks/design department (it is ALWAYS the first consideration- that which catches your eye) and you make a list. And you Google the hell out of the cool looking bikes to make sure they are not Land Rovers  :biggrin:, sorry, I mean Lemons with all sorts of reliability issues and bad aftersales issues.

Secondly, once you have decided which bikes you think look cool, and they check out, you try and get a test-ride. This means that you get to SERVICE before even riding it and this is where the second sifting comes in. Brands from dealers with crappy service get scratched from list and the ones with good service get ticked and followed up. When I was buying I had my heart set on a TA 700 or a Dakkie. After phoning a bunch ot times to arrange, confirm, remind and forewarn Honda, I got ther and alas, NO TEST BIKE. Salesman was poor, service crappy and they had let me down. Later I went to the Beemer chaps (In my case it was Beemer but it could have been anyone else) went smoothely and they made me feel like a VIP customer. Took a spin and I asked for the pen.

Thirdly, it is the testride: You get on the bike and even before riding, like anything else, there will always be one or two that just FEEL RIGHT and TALK TO YOU. You take a spin and just confirm what you already knew when you hopped on the seat.

Lastly, it is the promptness of the sale and the eagerness with which the salesman handles the deal. You cant wait to get your bike and the salesman should know this.

BMW honestly has a fine reputation for good service and backup. BMW On Call is an example. It doesnt help you have the nicest bike to ride but you are stuck between two kokerbome in the Kalahari. Not saying other bikes are inferior at all but the whole "buying of a bike" is a package and not just grabbing a tin of Baked Beans off the shelf. BMW has mastered this offering of a package.
Mampoer could solve all Africa's problems....

https://picasaweb.google.com/home

Offline melvman

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2011, 09:08:54 am »
Hi Flamingo, congrats on the new bike. Of course we'll beleive you once we've seen the pics! We must have evidence.:thumleft:

Offline badseed

• Ride the adventure
  • Race Dog
    • www.wildwood.capetown
« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2011, 10:52:03 pm »
Looks like I've got to eat my words here. Perhaps instead of bemoanin the sheep mentality of the buying public I should dispair at the lack of real alternative, especialy to the newer less connected buyers. I've chatted over coffee with a few folks the past couple of days and had similar stories of poor service /lack of interest from dealers even when faced with keen buyers wanting their bikes. My own brother tells me he wanted a particular bike , and after three times phoning a well known Cape Town  dealer and asking about detals of price and trade-in value on his old bilk he never recieved a return call. Guess what? He's now on a GS1200.

It appears the only two dealers in the Cape other than big BMW dealerships are Yamaha Helderberg & Cape Town KTM (both small independents) who are puting in an effort , stocking dual bikes and kit , organising rides and events , supplying demo bikes etc.

The owner of a well known dealer in Cape Town mentioned to me the other day "there's no money in motorcross and enduro any more'. Yet over the past couple years I've not seen a rep or support at a single event , never mind actually promoting one himself.

COME ON DEALERS / MANUFACTURERS you've got the product , get out there and make it happen before our only choice will be 'which model BMW' to buy!

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2011, 05:40:13 am »

COME ON DEALERS / MANUFACTURERS you've got the product , get out there and make it happen before our only choice will be 'which model BMW' to buy!

Indeed!  

I have heard (purely down the grapevine) that Yamaha SA is busy with a complete new marketing and service delivery strategy.  Apparantly they want to become known as the Japanese "BMW" when it comes to the peripherals around the actual bike, i.e. smooth sales process, excellent service, etc.  Let us hold thumbs that they actually do so and that the rest follow suit.

The first step they should take, imho opinion is making a garb for the rather large and growing "wife" market.  You know the one.  Hubby rides a A1123XYZ, so I want the A631XYZ as it looks so much like its big brother and it even sounds just like its big brother and ... and ...
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 05:44:00 am by AMZ »
#33 #BRADICAL!
#40 #DIVEBOMB!

Offline GSLaaitie

• Race Dog
« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2011, 10:48:23 am »
It seems way overpriced. And why only those two colours?
Beer isn't the answer. It's the question. The answer, is Yes!

True story

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2011, 10:51:49 am »
It seems way overpriced. And why only those two colours?

All BMW's in the GS range is overpriced, or so it seems, but supply and demand pushes the price. 

As for the colours, all bike manufacturers, including BMW, have some colours available in specific years.  This year they may have a metalic blue and fire engine red.  Next year diamond white and ice berg pink and so on.
#33 #BRADICAL!
#40 #DIVEBOMB!