Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: New 2011 BMW G 650 GS  (Read 1558 times)

Offline plonker

Re: New 2011 BMW G 650 GS
« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2011, 11:01:30 am »
It seems way overpriced. And why only those two colours?

All BMW's in the GS range is overpriced, or so it seems, but supply and demand pushes the price. 

As for the colours, all bike manufacturers, including BMW, have some colours available in specific years.  This year they may have a metalic blue and fire engine red.  Next year diamond white and ice berg pink and so on.

You pay more for the BMW initially but they have generally got high resale value so you score in the end.Obviously the 1200 GS having the highest resale of all their bikes.

Offline IDR

• <insert bias disclaimer here>
  • Administrator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2011, 11:10:04 am »
If I may add my 2 cents - BMW has the first bike market cornered well and truly.  They have the marketing budget, the product, and the attending bling and training and coffee and whatever.  The complete buying experience.

But I think things are changing.  As AMZ says above, Yamaha are looking at changing things, I know Kawasaki SA is also looking long and hard at how to take more market share - and of course, Triumph, albeit small, are looking to go big with the new Tigers.

All they really need to succeed is money.

The three things you need to fix anything in the universe: duct tape, WD-40 and a hammer.  If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.  If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.  Otherwise use the hammer.

Offline Wasp

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200 Explorer
« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2011, 05:34:03 pm »
I took delivery of my first proper bike on Saturday, -  this awesome G 650 GS.   So be nice!  I am a new rider and new to the forum.  I simply love the way it handles, super smooth and very easy to ride, got the crash bars & bash plate, so I am sorted for any possible hiccups.  I am a chick and the size and weight is perfect for me to handle with ease.  I agree the spoke wheels look great, but hey this bike is different, so why conform! :) :) ;D ;D

You are the ....GIRL! Millions of kays trouble free :thumleft: dont worry the "ah's" who whish they had one ;)

Flamingo

« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2011, 05:49:15 pm »
Thanks so much Wasp, I am going to loooooove my bike I just know it!  All the wannabees don't really bug me, love watching them drool out of envy at this awesome machine :D :D.  Stick and stones may break my bones, buy words will never harm ME!! :laughing4: :laughing4: :laughing4:

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #64 on: March 27, 2011, 05:12:20 am »
Stick and stones may break my bones, buy words will never harm ME!! :laughing4: :laughing4: :laughing4:

DÍm!  I was hoping you were going to say: "Stick and stones may break my bones, but chains and whips excite me!"   :imaposer:

Sooo ... pics yet?  Ride report yet? 
#33 #BRADICAL!
#40 #DIVEBOMB!

Offline Battlestar

• IF IM NOT HERE IM ON MY BIKE
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-250L
  • "LUX NOBIS DUX"
« Reply #65 on: March 30, 2011, 07:47:18 am »
Just got a mail from Ryder Motorrad. They are having there launch on Saturday and Sunday they doing a Sani Pass ride to give it a proper test. Roger Kane Berman (DP) who rode in SA GS Trophy Team and Gregg Parkin the Sales/Marketing manager are going to be riding them. Should be a good day for those that are interested  :thumleft:
Pass this way once!

Offline Christian Kuun

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Wynkop Kuun- Onder die Wyntenk in Stellies
    • My Web Album
« Reply #66 on: March 30, 2011, 08:41:41 am »
It seems way overpriced. And why only those two colours?

I dont think so....

Yammi XT660= R79,588.00, Suzi DL650 Wee= R89,500.00, Honda TA 700= R86 999.

You cant compare the KLR or DR. Not that they are bad bikes at all, but it will be like comparing Corolla's to 3 series BMW's.

Mampoer could solve all Africa's problems....

https://picasaweb.google.com/home

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #67 on: April 01, 2011, 08:38:42 am »
I saw this bike in the flesh for the first time on Wednesday, must say, it is a good cosmetic revamp, and I'm sure will sell well. It has the X-Challenge motor as well. The one aspect that really grabbed me was the revised oil line from the oil tank to under the motor, those that have removed the clutch cover will appreciate this...the pipe is routed around the front of the motor now, making clutch cover removal a walk in the park....
Those that slate the mags...well tell me, how good was the older 650GS on dirt? Not good at all, this bike is meant for tar and the occasional good dirt surface, if you want offroad.....buy a bike with spokes.
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!