KLE 500 Hazard Lights Project

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaun500

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLE 500
KLE 500 Hazard Lights Project

As you know the KLE does not have hazard lights.  The project is very simple to do.  It’s a nice to have feature on the bike.  It does not cost much and uses only a bit of your time.  The hazard lights flashing makes you a bit more visable while lane splitting in traffic.

You are basically using the pass beam switch on the handlebar to pulse a mechanical latching relay. The mechanical latching relay is a Finder, part no: 26.02.8.012.0000.  Because the coil of the relay operates on 12VAC you have to use the optional 12VDC module in conjunction with the relay.  The part no. for this module is 026.9.012.  I used the pass beam switch on the handlebar as I have never used it and it is at a convenient location. Momentarily press the pass beam switch once and the contact closes and visa-versa.  When the relay contact closes it shorts out the left and right side indicator lines, thus causing all the indicator lights to flash.  When you momentarily press the pass beam button again, the the relay coil momentarily energises and mechanically un-latches the contact thereby stopping all the indicator lights flashing.

The important thing that is used is the 1N5408 general purpose diodes that prevent a back feed causing all the lights to flash when you select left or right turn switch respectively during normal operation.  I also mounted a clear green LED on the instrument panel to indicate when the hazard lights are on. You don’t have to have it.  Its just personal preference.  It flashes with all the indicators.  The LED has a 1N5408 general purpose diode and a 470 ohm resistor in series with the + leg of the LED.

The relay, DC module, three diodes and resistor are enclosed in a small plastic box.  The box is mounted on the frame behind the bikes instrument cluster.  The wires/components are soldered on and connected to the relay.  Once completed I filled the box with Scotch cast resin, just to seal everything and prevent vibration causing joints to come loose. The grey and green wire is connected to the right and left indicator lines respectively as in the picture.  The orange wire is for the common of the flashing relay.  The grey twin flex goes to the LED.  The black wire goes to negative (ground) and the red wire connects to the output of the pass beam switch.  I used a braided sleeving to cover the wires in a loom.

Materials List:

1*  Black plastic box
1*  Rubber grommet
1*  Scotch cast resin
1*  Finder Step Relay 26.02.8.012.0000
1*  Finder 12 VDC module 026.9.012
3*  General purpose diodes 1N5408
1*  Resistor 470 ohm/1 watt
1*  LED, clear green
1*  LED grommet
1*  Wire, flex 0.75mm grey, green, orange, black, red and twin flex (1m each)
1*  Round lug, 1.5 by 6mm
1*  Braided sleeving, black

Go to Rapidshare for pictures for further instructions (use "slow" download, it works fine):  https://rapidshare.com/files/453420624/KLE_500_Hazard_Lights_Project.pdf

:thumleft:

Attachments

• 56.jpg
    56.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 272
  • 60.jpg
    60.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 275
  • Draw1.pdf
    9.5 KB · Views: 63