XR650R or XR650L?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xTzar

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR650R
My first choice would absolutely be the "R" with RWC but they are just so scarce (still trying to find on). So I went along to my local Honda dealer to check out the "new" read very old technology XRL. I went there with an open mind, trying to convince myself that this could work thinking that at least it will be brand new and I get to run it in etc. and that the basic motorcycle is good and from there one can fix the suspension, exhaust pipe, handle bars etc, etc. And that it is, but still this nagging thought that it just is not a "R" would not go away. Now this is what convinced me not to buy this motorcycle; on the left side of the motor is this octopus looking thing that is an oil-pump. It is also situated in one of the most precarious positions ever. One relatively small knock and it looks like there would go your motors life blood and that being a far worse case scenario than a hole in a radiator, 100k's from nowhere.

Perhaps Honda should rather bring back the "R" in a street guise including buddy pegs, ignition key, battery etc. which could be easily removed to make it pure dirt. Sure it would be more expensive but I think that there would be big demand for them.

So here is a serious question. Would you rather buy a pre-owned "R" for between 40-50k or buy a new "L"

BRP