Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Magaliesburg to Cape Town Solo, Pics included.....  (Read 2648 times)

Offline DeepBass9

• 2010 DL1000-'91 DR650 DAKAR
  • Bike: Suzuki DL 1000 V-Strom
    • www.dreamlodge.co.za
Magaliesburg to Cape Town Solo, Pics included.....
« on: March 21, 2011, 10:04:19 pm »
So I've set off for CT. This is a 'lite' report which I'll fill in with pictures later. Today was day 1 of a 4 day trip. I left home at about 1 heading for Schweizer Reyneke. I took dirt the whole way, about 350km.
After all the rain we have had over the last few days, the riding conditiins were perfect! Not too hot, not too cold, no dust, just great dirt riding.
There were a few thunderstorms about which I managed to circumnavigate, but ended up with masses of mud in their wake. There were places were 100m of road had become a river, an I was riding through axle deep water, with clouds of steam when the exhaust got wet.

I have all my kit in a giant loop bag which works very well on the Dr, you hardly notice it is there.

I had some reservations about using my aged DR for this trip, but she is performing impeccably. What a pleasaure of a bike!

I've learnt a trick or two about mud riding today, after kilometers of the stuff. Basically the way to keep upright is to not touch your brakes ever. Use engine braking and keep your revs reasonable high, then your wheels are always turning and there is little chance of a washout.

Tomorrow I'll be in the N. Cape, so lets see where l end up !

« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 02:17:18 pm by DeepBass9 »

Offline Wheelman

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
Re: Magaliesburg to Cape Town Solo, Frikkin' awesome riding!
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 04:12:06 pm »
Nice DB9.. Enjoy your trip !
A road to a friendís house is never long!

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill

Offline DeepBass9

• www.dreamlodge.co.za
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 07:28:50 pm »
Tx Wheelman!

Day 2;
I left Schweitzer and headed past Amalia, where I stayed for a few yrs in the 90s and wandered around looking for gold. Not much has changed, I took a few snaps of my old house next to the mine's crusher.
From there I headed towards Taung, an then to Warrenton. Riding conditions were once again awesome, with little dust because of the recent rain. I then did some of the route that Leondude and myself did on the way to the Boegoeberg bash along the bank of the Vaal river, ending up in Barkly West. Fortunately up until this point I knew most of the route, and its difficult to get lost next to a huge river. At this point I started to rely more on GPS loaded with T4A, but I'll rant about that just now.
I managed to end up at the back gate of the Vaalbos Nat. Park at a point, and the gate guard was kind enough to let me drive through since in is not a park anymore apparently? I saw quite a lot of game- Gemsbok,wildebees,springbok,warthog and lots of ground squirrels and mongoose.
From there I went to Delport's Hoop and back onto the Vaal River to Douglas at the confluence of tbe Vaal and Orange.
From Douglass south to Strydenburg which was some of the most enjoyable riding so far.Long karoo roads with flat topped hills scattered about. Awesome!
Strydenburg's accomodation looked a bit dodgy, so I tarred it through to britstown where I am now in a hot bath with a cold beer!

My staple diet on the road: Russian and slap chips:

« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 02:09:15 pm by DeepBass9 »

Offline DeepBass9

• www.dreamlodge.co.za
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 08:32:09 pm »
And now for my T4A rant. I have posted before that it is a festering pile of maggot ridden horse dung before, but today I was forced to attempt to use this crap! Some background, I had a 60CS which I used with SA Streetmaps, which worked 100% and had ALL of the roads mapped since they use the surveyed info that is freely availble to anyone who asks for it.
That GPS was stolen and replaced with a GPSMap62 which came without any maps. I didn't get a chance to buy the new steetmaps, so I installed T4A N &W cape and Gteng and NW maps. These are complete crap because half of the secondary and dirt roads are not there!!!!! I have spent most of the day driving through terra incognita as far as T4A is concerned. Some of the few dirtroads that are there are private, but these are routable roads so you drive for ages then end up at a locked farm gate!!!
the second time this happened I ended up at the bacj gate of the Vaalbos Nat Park. They let me though, so I figure maybe T4A has at least the tracks in the park, seeing as it is rat dung outside of parks. Wrong, equally as dismal coverage.
If you have T4A, throw it away it is crap. The hotel I am staying at in CT's street is not on the map so it won't route there!!! Ffs.

Its a good thing that I have some paper maps, otherwise I'd still be frak knows where!

And its not like I don't know what I am doing, I spend a fair amount of time creating maps. T4A is useless.

Offline DeepBass9

• www.dreamlodge.co.za
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 08:37:29 pm »
Anyway, rant over. Tomorrow I am heading through the karoo to the west coast around Vredendal or somewhere. Where is a nice place to stay there? My requirement are simple, Just somewhere where I can have a cold beer and good seafood overlooking the sea. Any suggestions?

Offline LeonDude

• A very quiet
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 - The next adventure
    • Leon de Kock - Author pages
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 08:44:13 pm »
Sweizer to Britstown? Fark, you must have ridden the crap out of that DR! And your but must be the numbest thing this side of the milky way.  :biggrin:
Great news, my book 'Sniffer' has seen the light of day of Amazon Kindle!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N664WIH
Check out my website for free short stories!
http://www.leondekock.com/short_stories.html

Offline DeepBass9

• www.dreamlodge.co.za
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 08:50:15 pm »
Suzi is a real sweetie, and she hasn't complained at all so far!
In fact this DR is such a pleasure to ride. No problems at all. My father  in law gave me Zen and the Art if motorcycle maintenance to read again on the trip. Haven't had a chance to read anything yet, but Suzi gets a good Zen every morning so karma is on my side!

« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 09:00:59 pm by DeepBass9 »

Offline DeepBass9

• www.dreamlodge.co.za
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 09:48:22 pm »
Day 3
Today was long, I did about 600km from Britstown and ended up in Montagu. The route was Britstown-Vosburg-Sutherland-Laingsburg-Anysburg Nat. Res.- Montagu.
In the karroo the ridung was really great, long fast dirt roads and water crossings from time to time. Every km or so is a large erosion hump so you can either get some airtime or try a 100kmph wheelie as the fancy takes you.
I saw lots of interesting birds, the migratory kestrels were in flocks of hundreds, chanting goshawks, a martial eagle, secretary birds, kori bustards, the ubiquitous black korhaan, etc etc.
Anysburg NR was very nice riding, about 30 km of two track, I saw bontebok, hartebees, and the jackals there look like stray dogs! Must be well fed on karoo lamb.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 01:53:40 pm by DeepBass9 »

Offline DeepBass9

• www.dreamlodge.co.za
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 10:06:25 pm »
Something I had never seen before is the locusts in the karoo. I guess since the recent rain they have hatched. There were armies of hoppers walking over the roads, and the ocassional swarm of millions of flying locusts. Keep your visor closed!

Offline LeonDude

• A very quiet
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 06:55:24 am »
Lekker DB9, hope you stopping now and again to have a beer. Oops, I mean take a picture.  :biggrin:

Offline Wheelman

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2011, 07:05:42 am »
 :thumleft: Those Hoppers can be a real problem, but you could also do a survivor stunt and braai one or two if you are partial to a bit of "padkos".   :imaposer: Glad you are enjoying your trip.
A road to a friendís house is never long!

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill

Offline DeepBass9

• www.dreamlodge.co.za
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2011, 07:37:12 am »
Lekker DB9, hope you stopping now and again to have a beer. Oops, I mean take a picture.  :biggrin:
Yes, I have lots of piccies, I'll ost them when I get back. Today I'm taking a leisurely drive into ct through the winelands.

Offline DeepBass9

• www.dreamlodge.co.za
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2011, 06:32:12 pm »
Got to CT about midday on Thursday and spent the weekend at the Jazz festival and doing tourist stuff.

I started on my way back this morning, so this is day 5! I'm trying to get back in 3 days, so I will do a bit of tar to speed things along.
Today was Cape Town- Ceres - Sutherland -Fraserburg- Carnarvon, I think my arse has  become used to all this riding because it is not nearly as painful as it was. I passed a lot of dogs on their way back from the WC bash on the way to Sutherland.

Between Fraserburg and Carnarvan I had a small off which landed me under the bike in a river. It was on a concrete river crossing where algae had grown on the concrete. One minute I was on the bike, next lying under it in the water. The algae was so slimy it was difficult to even
walk there. Thanks to atgatt no damage done, and the knob on the end of the brake lever snapped off. Otherwise fine.

Here's the scene of the accident, with detail of the slime marks.

Tommorrow I'll head back into NW and see how far I get. Happy trails!

« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 01:38:35 pm by DeepBass9 »

Offline Harry the Buffalo

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • I NEED Freedom!!To survive>>>>
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2011, 06:39:57 pm »
Great stuff Mate :thumleft:
Having "GUTS" means being "SHIT" scared and still winding the throttle!!!

Offline DeepBass9

• www.dreamlodge.co.za
So how far did I get? All the way home! From Carnarvon to Magaliesburg in one trip. It was probably about 900km of riding, I left at about 7am and was home at 6pm. I decided that it was time to get home, so I set the GPS on the shortest route and made a beeline for home. It was about 70% tar and 30% dirt.

I'll piece together the route I was took and post it later. My GPS was running on batteries so I only put it on at intersections. There are a whole bunch of pics as well which I'll post this evening.

So in total it was probably about 3500km done over 6 days of riding. Really great experience!  :thumleft:

Still lots of water in the NW!

« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 01:30:04 pm by DeepBass9 »

Ganjora

that's impressive on a dr...

Offline Biesie

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
Lekker DB9  :thumleft:

Old thumpers are the new black :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

Offline edgy

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
    • A Stone's Throw Bed & Breakfast
Awesome stuff! Pics now boet! :thumleft:
www.astonesthrow.co.za

'16 Africa Twin CRF1000
'12 KTM200
`11 CRF 230F `12 KTM 200  BEER..."I drink it when I`m happy or when I`m sad. I drink it when I`m alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. Trifle with it if I`m not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise, I never touch it - unless I`m thirsty"

Offline DeepBass9

• www.dreamlodge.co.za
Lekker DB9  :thumleft:

Old thumpers are the new black :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

For sure! I had no problems at all with the bike (that weren't caused by me in the first place). No mechanical problems at all. The only time I wielded a spanner was to adjust the chain which I only had to do once. On the way down when I was taking it easy the bike used 1 pint of oil (about 1800km). When I was burning it back yesterday it used 2 pints. Not bad for an old bike!

Offline LeonDude

• A very quiet
  • Forum Whore
Good to hear you're back safe. 900 kilos in a day? Serious riding!  :thumleft: