Magaliesburg to Cape Town Solo, Pics included.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeepBass9

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR650
So I've set off for CT. This is a 'lite' report which I'll fill in with pictures later. Today was day 1 of a 4 day trip. I left home at about 1 heading for Schweizer Reyneke. I took dirt the whole way, about 350km.
After all the rain we have had over the last few days, the riding conditiins were perfect! Not too hot, not too cold, no dust, just great dirt riding.
There were a few thunderstorms about which I managed to circumnavigate, but ended up with masses of mud in their wake. There were places were 100m of road had become a river, an I was riding through axle deep water, with clouds of steam when the exhaust got wet.

I have all my kit in a giant loop bag which works very well on the Dr, you hardly notice it is there.

I had some reservations about using my aged DR for this trip, but she is performing impeccably. What a pleasaure of a bike!

I've learnt a trick or two about mud riding today, after kilometers of the stuff. Basically the way to keep upright is to not touch your brakes ever. Use engine braking and keep your revs reasonable high, then your wheels are always turning and there is little chance of a washout.

Tomorrow I'll be in the N. Cape, so lets see where l end up !
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg