Let the Adventure Begin!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
Triumph over bureaucracy!
I had a Hell of a time getting to the right person to get my SA purchased bike registered in my name. BUT, if you are ever in my situation (foreigner on tourist visit (no long term Visa) and buying a SA motorbike) go straight to Lydia in Room #17 at the Roodepoort Town Hall (police part) and ask her to help you get a SA Identification document and register your bike.

She is competent and fast at getting the job done -- and a friendly pleasant lady too. You will need to find someone with whom you can "officially" take up residence while you are in SA - they can provide proof of their residence (water bill or lease agreement...) and write out a simple affidavit that you have moved in with them - now you have a residence and a mailing address. It involves a bit of paperwork, but Lydia knows how to make it work. It is a bit of bother, but can be done in a day if you don't get stuck somewhere in a government office with a complete petite bureaucrat -- I wasted 3 days running about getting no where.

So, now I can legally ride about in South Africa on my bike and cross borders too. :)

Today we went for a ride toward Sun City, but stopped for breakfast about 2/3s of the way there and then decided to return to the dry comforts of Pom's home as it rained most of the way there and back. We got a taste of things to come as we head around to Capetown and then UP Africa -- a flat tire on Pat's bike on the way home.

Tomorrow Pat and Christianne and I go. Kruger National Park here we come.

The adventure begins.