Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Medical Facilities at Bashes  (Read 4021 times)

Offline laurika

• hoessenaam van hydrabad...
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • helmet hair is very cool....everyone says so
Re: Medical Facilities at Bashes
« Reply #100 on: March 30, 2011, 02:15:20 pm »
the cost of a medic and his little bakkie would be minimal if split by all the attendants at a bash...we use them all the time during filmshoots...most of them have sattelite phones anyway when they are out in the bundu...make use of the industries 'loose' medics (non affiliated), i cant see how that could add to the arrangements in any large way..its really only one phonecall and the guy rocks up and stays sober also...and it could make a large difference to the injured, hungover and legless.... ::)

"There is no happiness for him who does not travel...Therefore, wander... The fortune of him who is sitting sits, it rises when he rises, it sleeps when he sleeps, it moves when he moves... Therefore, wander!"...The Rig Veda - 800 - 600 BC..

bmw F650GS/ XT 660 R

Online RobC

• Stoepkakkertjie
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #101 on: March 30, 2011, 02:26:10 pm »
the cost of a medic and his little bakkie would be minimal if split by all the attendants at a bash...we use them all the time during filmshoots...most of them have sattelite phones anyway when they are out in the bundu...make use of the industries 'loose' medics (non affiliated), i cant see how that could add to the arrangements in any large way..its really only one phonecall and the guy rocks up and stays sober also...and it could make a large difference to the injured, hungover and legless.... ::)
Agreed... But... That is usually a qualified ALS medic (would not settle for less if there is no ambo btw.)... going rate for a day can be R5000 to R10000 plus milage to get to the location and back. Divide that by qty attending? add that to the camping/accomodation and you get 100 less pitching... so there goes the medic... ::)
Why do you think there are usually no medics at non MSA events (aka illegal drags/off roads/fun days)... cos they cost money and would make the "entry fee" more than 100 bucks.
The moment you provide medical back up a whole can of worms gets opened regarding responsibilities etc.
Afaik in a work related situation like a film shoot it is required by the insurer that a ALS medic be present?
Should an organizer decide to take out cover in case of litigation this would be a requirement as well. :deal:

Offline Wooly Bugger

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Buell Ulysses XB12
  • DILLIGAF?
« Reply #102 on: March 30, 2011, 02:28:39 pm »
@RobC.....................

is there anything that you DON'T know............. :biggrin:
This is not life or death. It is an internet forum.

Offline IDR

• <insert bias disclaimer here>
  • Administrator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #103 on: March 30, 2011, 02:29:12 pm »

Ungh, I dunno man.  It just adds to the 'club'-feel.  I really think, as older (well, most of us ;D ), relatively responsible and mature people, it should not be necessary - and adds an unnecessary overhead, both financialyy and from an organisation perspective.

If you want an ambulance at a bash, perhaps then you should rather attend a rally.
The three things you need to fix anything in the universe: duct tape, WD-40 and a hammer.  If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.  If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.  Otherwise use the hammer.

Offline Rynet

• Vendors
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #104 on: March 30, 2011, 02:31:59 pm »
Why dont we start a sticky thread under Planning a Ride , called How to plan for Emergencies or similar . Not for Bashes just for any rides , alone or in a group . Then Andy660 can put down his telephone numbers for the helicopter in the Cape and others can add other important numbers . And people can share how they handled accidents they have been on and what they have learnt what is important to look out for  . I have been on a couple of rides where people broke legs , feet etc but with the BMW club we almost always had back up drivers and Sat phone , who simply take them to the nearest hospital, unless they are in a serious condition and then the helicopter fetches them. When Andy 660 had his very bad accident last year in the Anysberg Reserve  , I was very impressed at how evereyone in the group handled it . Of course it helped that we had a brain surgeon riding with us  :thumleft: ( Tuerag) and between him and Bradleys they kept Andy still , stabillised , knew they could take off his helmet as he was struggling breathing as they tested to see if he had broken his neck ( he could feel his legs etc) etc etc and he made it , even though we all had a very big scare as he was bleeding from his nose , mouth and ears .

Maybe tips like mentioned above that every team leader gets all the ICE from his riding team , hospital details en route etc

And for solo riders,  info and tips eg that they warn someone what the solo rider's routes are every day , and that they check in say every day with someone so that the person doesn't fall down a ravine and have to die of a broken leg , because no one knows where they are, as happened to that unfortunate man near the Baviaans recently .

I for one would like such a thread as I don't nearly know nearly enough what to do in case of an accident of a friend in an isolated place  .
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 02:36:32 pm by Rynet »

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
« Reply #105 on: March 30, 2011, 02:33:16 pm »
What's the cost of medic: (Thanks, Rob. Got a ball park but would like a more accurate figure. ;))

1. On-site Friday/Saturday/Sunday only. What does this include/exclude?
2. If called out for an accident involving a member, additional cost?
3. Evacuation of member from accident site.

What else?

Thanks.
He who angers you, controls you.

Online RobC

• Stoepkakkertjie
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #106 on: March 30, 2011, 02:33:37 pm »

I know how to use Google... :ricky:
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 02:35:30 pm by RobC »

Online RobC

• Stoepkakkertjie
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #107 on: March 30, 2011, 02:35:07 pm »

If you want an ambulance at a bash, perhaps then you should rather attend a rally.
With you 100% IDR...

Offline Wooly Bugger

• Grey hound
  • DILLIGAF?
« Reply #108 on: March 30, 2011, 02:35:47 pm »

I know how ro use Google... :ricky:

but you don't know how to spell............

Offline Wooly Bugger

• Grey hound
  • DILLIGAF?
« Reply #109 on: March 30, 2011, 02:36:30 pm »
but you can edit pretty quick...............

Offline IDR

• Administrator
  • Grey hound
« Reply #110 on: March 30, 2011, 02:38:58 pm »
What's the cost of medic: (Thanks, Rob. Got a ball park but would like a more accurate figure. ;))

What else?

Thanks.

Can I get a cloth badge for my leather jacket when I attend the next rall... I mean bash?

Seriously.  There are enough people at a bash who would know enough and have enough supplies to get someone treated effectively and quickly if something had to happen.

I am sure a medic or ambulance is unnecessary!

PS: If anyone has the BEEEG babelas, or ever has a bone sticking through flesh, find me, and find my first aid kit! ;)
The three things you need to fix anything in the universe: duct tape, WD-40 and a hammer.  If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.  If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.  Otherwise use the hammer.

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Pretoria
« Reply #111 on: March 30, 2011, 02:39:11 pm »

With you 100% IDR...

A few sexy nurses included..... ????? :mwink: :biggrin:

Offline IDR

• Administrator
  • Grey hound
« Reply #112 on: March 30, 2011, 02:40:00 pm »

With you 100% IDR...

A few sexy nurses included..... ????? :mwink: :biggrin:

Now THAT I can agree with, and perhaps even make a small contribution :thumleft:

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Pretoria
« Reply #113 on: March 30, 2011, 02:40:47 pm »

What else?

Thanks.

Can I get a cloth badge for my leather jacket when I attend the next rall... I mean bash?

Seriously.  There are enough people at a bash who would know enough and have enough supplies to get someone treated effectively and quickly if something had to happen.

I am sure a medic or ambulance is unnecessary!

PS: If anyone has the BEEEG babelas, or ever has a bone sticking through flesh, find me, and find my first aid kit! ;)

Ja RecklessDirtRider. ::)

Just trying to get all the facts/possibilities/costs on the table. :deal: :biggrin:
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 02:42:01 pm by JourneyMan »

Offline IDR

• Administrator
  • Grey hound
« Reply #114 on: March 30, 2011, 02:44:16 pm »
I have to add, it might seem like I am taking some people on here - but it's most certainly not the case - I'm just speaking from my own experience of bashes, and how, firstly, there is hardly ever an issue, and the issues which I have experienced have always been dealt with quickly, effectively, and with ZERO repercussions to any organiser or injured - the Caledon bash incident springs to mind specifically - there was also no cellphone reception incidentally.

Seriously, I think an ambulance is total overkill.  Especially if you think how if an ambulance is called upon, and needs to deliver someone to a hospital, then you're without cover again.  All good and well for a racing event where the racing can be stopped.  A bash can NOT be stopped!!!! ;D

Online RobC

• Stoepkakkertjie
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #115 on: March 30, 2011, 02:48:16 pm »

What else?

Thanks.

One would have to ask for specific quotes and shop around your region where the bash is held, my figures are based on what we have paid for medics at MX meets. The ALS is usually the biggest part of the package and we have had quotes of 10 grand just for the ALS and his Subaru above and beyond the 6 grand for the 2 ambos and 2 ILS medics and 2 first aid medics. This is usually the minimum requirement for a MX event/Off Road in our region. This is for 8 hours on site by the way... if you want em longer the fees escalate accordingly.

From your list the 3rd would be the most cost effective if you arranged before hand to have him on call in case of an accident but that would incur a delay in getting to the scene. The ideal is to have them on site but that is always the most expensive option.
Some medics also count on there being an accident... then they get paid for the evacuation by the patients medical aid plus a kickback from the hospital they have arrangements with to bring emergency cases.

Offline IDR

• Administrator
  • Grey hound
« Reply #116 on: March 30, 2011, 02:50:54 pm »

What else?

Thanks.

One would have to ask for specific quotes and shop around your region where the bash is held, my figures are based on what we have paid for medics at MX meets. The ALS is usually the biggest part of the package and we have had quotes of 10 grand just for the ALS and his Subaru above and beyond the 6 grand for the 2 ambos and 2 ILS medics and 2 first aid medics. This is usually the minimum requirement for a MX event/Off Road in our region. This is for 8 hours on site by the way... if you want em longer the fees escalate accordingly.

From your list the 3rd would be the most cost effective if you arranged before hand to have him on call in case of an accident but that would incur a delay in getting to the scene. The ideal is to have them on site but that is always the most expensive option.
Some medics also count on there being an accident... then they get paid for the evacuation by the patients medical aid plus a kickback from the hospital they have arrangements with to bring emergency cases.

Which is all good and well if you're at the venue.

Take the FreeState bash for example, how many okes were how far into Lesotho?  Would ouboet have brought his passport?  Medevac?

Again, I have to stress that it is of the utmost importance that YOU are aware that YOU should be ultimately responsible for YOUR own safety.  My medical aid will fly me out from wherever.  Will yours?

Online RobC

• Stoepkakkertjie
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #117 on: March 30, 2011, 02:56:13 pm »
Seriously, I think an ambulance is total overkill.  Especially if you think how if an ambulance is called upon, and needs to deliver someone to a hospital, then you're without cover again.  All good and well for a racing event where the racing can be stopped.  A bash can NOT be stopped!!!! ;D

There is that aspect as well... At races there are usually 2 ambos, as soon as one leaves the medics have to call in a replacement unless there is also an ALS, but the moment there is no ambo the race is red flagged, often means canceling the rest of the races ALS or not. We had this happen at a National when there was a parachute accident at the airfield next door, fortunately this was during practice but it still caused a 2 hour delay to the event. En almal was de moer in vir die Organizers! ::)
Like we had control of what falls out of the sky? ::)

Online RobC

• Stoepkakkertjie
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #118 on: March 30, 2011, 02:59:59 pm »
Again, I have to stress that it is of the utmost importance that YOU are aware that YOU should be ultimately responsible for YOUR own safety.  My medical aid will fly me out from wherever.  Will yours?
That is probably the most valid point...
Fortunately my Discovery package does... since I began riding again I have not begrudged the money I pay each month... without it my "fall over break a leg" would have set me back more than my bike cost! :deal:

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #119 on: March 30, 2011, 03:06:08 pm »
And everyone is critical of the costs for Rally Raids, GS Challenge/Eco1000 etc.......Now perhaps people will start realizing what these events cost....
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!