Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Medical Facilities at Bashes  (Read 4094 times)

Offline IDR

• <insert bias disclaimer here>
  • Administrator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
Re: Medical Facilities at Bashes
« Reply #120 on: March 30, 2011, 03:07:51 pm »
And everyone is critical of the costs for Rally Raids, GS Challenge/Eco1000 etc.......Now perhaps people will start realizing what these events cost....

Cold mielies are inexcusable though.
The three things you need to fix anything in the universe: duct tape, WD-40 and a hammer.  If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.  If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.  Otherwise use the hammer.

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #121 on: March 30, 2011, 03:09:44 pm »
And everyone is critical of the costs for Rally Raids, GS Challenge/Eco1000 etc.......Now perhaps people will start realizing what these events cost....

Cold mielies are inexcusable though.

Absolutely...perhaps the heating money went to the medics.... :biggrin:
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline RobC

• Stoepkakkertjie
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #122 on: March 30, 2011, 03:18:09 pm »
We get the same at our MX Club... "Ma die baan is nie nat/geskraap/gerotovate nie, hoekom moet ek by die hek betaal"  :deal:
You need to PAY so we can water/grade/rotovate the track friend... ::)
It's times like that, that I rather go for a solo ride... :ricky:

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #123 on: March 30, 2011, 03:23:25 pm »
I know the guy that does medical backup for the Yamaha events, as well as a variety of other dual sport events, I can get a cost estimate from him......
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Online GRIM

« Reply #124 on: March 30, 2011, 03:39:29 pm »
I know the guy that does medical backup for the Yamaha events, as well as a variety of other dual sport events, I can get a cost estimate from him......

They do the medical at our trials events now aswell, very worthwhile. (won't mention their fees, but nowhere near what the MX guys appear to be paying)  ;D

We used to have an ER24 ambo & at least 2 medics at an event for around R2k for 6 hours on a Sunday...
Alcohol is essentially nature’s Leatt Brace – with it, you might not be able to move worth sh*t, but you can take a slam or two and be no worse for the wear.

Offline Heimer

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Kan nie ALZ onthou nie
    • Social Travel Digital solutions
« Reply #125 on: March 30, 2011, 03:45:46 pm »
I would be careful.

Providing medical facilities places a level of accountability on the organisers, and there will now be expectations to manage (and defend if something goes wrong). From there, it is a slippery slope.

Rather be very clear on what will be there and what not, so people can accept the risks.

Matriek getuigskrif 1979: ........... is 'n vriendelike seun met volop selfvertroue. Hy tree soms vreemd op. Die skool se beste wense vergesel hom.

Offline Jacko

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Hildebrand & Wolfmuller (all models)
  • "Don't be a hater, yo." Riaan Cruywagen
« Reply #126 on: March 30, 2011, 03:51:13 pm »
I would be careful.

Providing medical facilities places a level of accountability on the organisers, and there will now be expectations to manage (and defend if something goes wrong). From there, it is a slippery slope.

Rather be very clear on what will be there and what not, so people can accept the risks.

+1

I know Bertus of Outdoor Medical. They are NOT going to be cheap. At least not on a level the average WD will be prepared to pay.

Stop this formal nonsense. We're adventure riders, ffs. We take (calculated) risks. If you don't want to accept them, then go and do a BMW club ride.

I hate rules and overly formal shyte when I'm biking. Otherwise I'd have bought a farking Harley or tootled along with Michelin Anakees, a 'group leader' and a neon yellow bib.  :pot:
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 03:52:32 pm by Jacko »
"The test of a man is not the forum nor the field; not the marketplace nor the amen corner, but at his own fireside. There he lays aside his mask, and you may judge whether he be imp or angel, king or cur, hero or humbug." -  William Cowper Brann

Offline RobC

• Stoepkakkertjie
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #127 on: March 30, 2011, 03:53:35 pm »

They do the medical at our trials events now aswell, very worthwhile. (won't mention their fees, but nowhere near what the MX guys appear to be paying)  ;D

We used to have an ER24 ambo & at least 2 medics at an event for around R2k for 6 hours on a Sunday...

That is one ambo... MX and Off road require 2 as well as 1x ALS medic and his car/ambo... trails as we know are a low speed event. :deal: :mwink:
It is usually the ALS that takes the biggest slice of the cake plus the level of life support skills required for the medical staff at MX and Off Road events that make them more expensive medic wise.
That being said... I would not like to have a simple first aid qualified medic and inadequate ambulance if any medical support was offered, either you go all the way with an ALS on hand or nothing.

Offline Heimer

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Kan nie ALZ onthou nie
« Reply #128 on: March 30, 2011, 04:02:34 pm »
I had no expectation of medical support at the past event. This is how I prepared (and how I prepare for every trip):
- I had my ICE info,
- gave the place's co-ords, map printout, route and phone number to my wife (yes the number was on the thread).
- I packed a small medical trauma kit ( understand what is inside and how to use it)
- made sure I still understand basic CPR,
- had a chat with some riding buddies about backing each other up

I was pleasantly comforted on arrival to see a competent medic in attendance.

If these bash events become too formally organised, I predict a slow demise, as everything provided will be chewed and spat out afterward by somebody that expected something else / better.

I, for one would then rather join the informal / unofficial / rogue bash events that is bound to take place.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 04:03:16 pm by Heimer »

Matriek getuigskrif 1979: ........... is 'n vriendelike seun met volop selfvertroue. Hy tree soms vreemd op. Die skool se beste wense vergesel hom.

Offline RobC

• Stoepkakkertjie
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #129 on: March 30, 2011, 04:11:23 pm »
I would be careful.

+1

I know Bertus of Outdoor Medical. They are NOT going to be cheap. At least not on a level the average WD will be prepared to pay.

Stop this formal nonsense. We're adventure riders, ffs. We take (calculated) risks. If you don't want to accept them, then go and do a BMW club ride.

I hate rules and overly formal shyte when I'm biking. Otherwise I'd have bought a farking Harley or tootled along with Michelin Anakees, a 'group leader' and a neon yellow bib.  :pot:

Hear hear...!!
You qualify for the red bib then... :mwink:

Offline KAROODONKIE

• Race Dog
« Reply #130 on: March 30, 2011, 04:26:07 pm »
I had no expectation of medical support at the past event. This is how I prepared (and how I prepare for every trip):
- I had my ICE info,
- gave the place's co-ords, map printout, route and phone number to my wife (yes the number was on the thread).
- I packed a small medical trauma kit ( understand what is inside and how to use it)

If these bash events become too formally organised, I predict a slow demise, as everything provided will be chewed and spat out afterward by somebody that expected something else / better.

I, for one would then rather join the informal / unofficial / rogue bash events that is bound to take place.
.... and everything you mentioned would have been useless if you could not PHONE for an ambulance after you`ve been seriously injured !!!!  :eek7:  :eek7:  :eek7:
Curiosity killed the cat ... !!
... satisfaction brought her back !!

Offline Heimer

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Kan nie ALZ onthou nie
« Reply #131 on: March 30, 2011, 05:03:07 pm »
- I had my ICE info,

.... and everything you mentioned would have been useless if you could not PHONE for an ambulance after you`ve been seriously injured !!!!  :eek7:  :eek7:  :eek7:

But I knew that up front and accepted the risk   ???

« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 05:04:52 pm by Heimer »

Offline whitefish

• Steek hom Steyntjie!!
  • Race Dog
  • Leef jou drome.
« Reply #132 on: March 30, 2011, 05:09:55 pm »
Ek sal n volledige medical kit sponsor vir elke WD WC bash :mwink: Sal ook hervul wat gebruik is, dit SLUIT PYNPILLE UIT :thumleft: Hoop dit kan help.
You only live once, and if you do it right, once is enough!!

Vorige bikes: Kawasaki KX 250, KX500, CR250, 1150 adv,KTM 950 SE, VSTROM 1000, XR 650, XR 600, Blackbird, Hayabusa, GSXR 750, KDX200, Katana 650, GSXR 250, CB 750F, LTZ 400, YFZ 450, Blaster, 700 Raptor, Africa Twin, ZX-14, F800GS, TRX 450, TW200, KTM 990 R, KTM 990 R, KTM 990 R, KTM 1190 R, BMW 1200 GSA, KTM 990 R, KTM 990, KTM 990 S

Offline KAROODONKIE

• Race Dog
« Reply #133 on: March 30, 2011, 05:29:00 pm »
- I had my ICE info,

.... and everything you mentioned would have been useless if you could not PHONE for an ambulance after you`ve been seriously injured !!!!  :eek7:  :eek7:  :eek7:

Ons praat weer as ek jou in die stof optel - jy sal bid vir `n ambulans!!!
Dink bietjie realisties, tot die manne in die Dakar val hulle vrek -  jy is seker BETER!!!!  >:D  >:D
Curiosity killed the cat ... !!
... satisfaction brought her back !!

Offline Jacko

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Hildebrand & Wolfmuller (all models)
  • "Don't be a hater, yo." Riaan Cruywagen
« Reply #134 on: March 30, 2011, 05:36:20 pm »
Dink bietjie realisties, tot die manne in die Dakar val hulle vrek -  jy is seker BETER!!!!  >:D  >:D

Hmmm, ek dog die Dakar is 'n wedren?  ???

Se my Karoodonkie, as jy met jou bike langpad ry, vat jy mediese backup saam? Ek is seker sommige ouens is deur trauma die naweek. Maar ons moet 'n tree teruggee en 'n bietjie nugter daaroor dink.

"The test of a man is not the forum nor the field; not the marketplace nor the amen corner, but at his own fireside. There he lays aside his mask, and you may judge whether he be imp or angel, king or cur, hero or humbug." -  William Cowper Brann

Offline Heimer

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Kan nie ALZ onthou nie
« Reply #135 on: March 30, 2011, 05:39:48 pm »
- I had my ICE info,

Jy mis die punt heeltemal. As ek met jou stry, moet ek soos jy begin dink en dis nie moontlik nie.

++++ vir wat Jacko vra.

Offline DSNewbie

• Race Dog
« Reply #136 on: March 30, 2011, 05:44:15 pm »
- I had my ICE info,

This is the least every rider should do, solo or riding with a group.

The fact that you might be in an area where there is no cell phone reception is a risk you knowingly take.
If you do not want to take that risk do not go there - it is called CHOICE.

Yes it is crap if you are the one who falls and breaks something, but you still joined knowing the risks.

I guess from now on the first page of any organized ride or bash should be all the RISK DISCLAIMERS.

Offline Rynet

• Vendors
  • Race Dog
« Reply #137 on: March 30, 2011, 05:46:41 pm »
Dink bietjie realisties, tot die manne in die Dakar val hulle vrek -  jy is seker BETER!!!!  >:D  >:D

Hmmm, ek dog die Dakar is 'n wedren?  ???

Se my Karoodonkie, as jy met jou bike langpad ry, vat jy mediese backup saam? Ek is seker sommige ouens is deur trauma die naweek. Maar ons moet 'n tree teruggee en 'n bietjie nugter daaroor dink.

Ag julle hou net van stry en bragg oor joe tough julle is , maar julle weet Karoodonkie is reg , as daar 120 plus bikers bymekaar is sonder 'n telefoon dan is die beslis 'n resep vir moeilikheid, en dit is heeltemal anders as wat dit net jy en jou buddies op 'n ride is.  So hou nou op om cowboys te speel en dink realisties  :deal: ;)

Ek dink by die volgende Bash sal die organiseerders 'n telefoon reel en met die naaste hospitaal reel dat hulle ten minste net weet van die Bash en weet hoe om by die Bash uit te kom  , dit sal stupid wees om dit nie te doen nie.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 05:48:25 pm by Rynet »

Offline Freak

« Reply #138 on: March 30, 2011, 05:51:04 pm »
Ek dink hierdie topic is deur en deur goed verkrag... En if anything...

Het dit die organiseerders van dič event, goed afgesit om toekomstig iets te reel...

Ek weet dit sou my.

F@k mense, join die local rolbal klub.. Jou odds is beter daar vir oorlewing..
Die probleem is eintlik net dat sekere mense onseker is van hul eie persoonlike limiete, en wil net die gerusstelling van n mediese persoon he om dit vir hom te bepaal... Kry sommer n ambulans naby as jy jou kind entertain op n swaai.... Accidents happen you know...
Italjet - still have
YZ 80 - sold
Suzuki TS - 50 - broken
2x YZ 250cc - sold
Kawa KDX 200 - sold ZX - 6R - sold Suzuki GSXR 1000 K4- broken and in the bin Suzuki GSXR 1000 K5 - sold BMW GS 1150 - sold KTM 950 adventure S - sold Currently:  '79 BMW Bobber '63 BMW R50/2 '62 BMW R60/2 with sidecar '54 BMW R26/2 ... Still in kit form '74 BMW R75/6 custom .. In progress '82 BMW R80 G/S

Offline MrBig

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Triumph 955 Tiger
  • Stellenbosch
« Reply #139 on: March 30, 2011, 05:51:33 pm »
I guess from now on the first page of any organized ride or bash should be all the RISK DISCLAIMERS.

It usually is in any case.

Unfortunately in typical male biker fashion we all tend to overestimate our abilities.
Technical route? Sand? Other bikes?
Challenge accepted!
Yeehaa!  ;D

Ironically the best way to ensure that you won't crash is to ride alone.  ;)
"I know you think you understand what I said, but what you don't understand is what I said is not what I mean."