Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Medical Facilities at Bashes  (Read 4017 times)

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
Re: Medical Facilities at Bashes
« Reply #200 on: April 03, 2011, 08:27:21 pm »
Maybe I should come see you about a waistpack like that.

Offline Rynet

• Vendors
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #201 on: April 03, 2011, 08:44:39 pm »

Hey 2SD, I carry all that in my waist pack along with my medical kit.  If I fall off a mountain I need it with me, not on my bike.  My tools form part of my medical kit – especially the cable ties.

Rynet, the list is a deliberate overkill but rather say more and not have anyone tell you they didn’t know.  This list is not required at the rides but rather to ask were we draw the line?? What do we need to publish – most stuff listed is common sense to most of us and would be better listed somewhere else on the forum.  It should not be required to list all this at each ride planning post.

I agree , But how harmfull is it to put it on the start of every Bash thread.  Because as a recent Noob myself there are so many threads about tools and first aid one does not find the time to study all of them, and your perfectly good summary is excellent . For example I see that my First aid lacks Voltaren injections ,  although I have strong painkillers, and my tool kit lacks a spare clutch and brake lever. And I dont yet have every tool . So every time one reads your list it reinforces the message. You could put a link on the Bash thead but would anyone read it ?

I also carry my tools ( such as they are ) , my tyre repair kit and my medicine kit with me every day to work and back also, but for the rides I think I must also get one of your Kriega waist bags. They have two parts , one for medical and one for tools.  At the CABC in 2009 I was very impressed at how you handled the medical and tool related quizz which was part of the Skill Challenge finals . Having it on your waist makes the bike lighter and as you say is real handy if you fall away from the bike.  But do you carry all those tools in the waist bag or only some of them ? The medical stuff is not heavy but the tools are ?

Thanks again LL  :thumleft: :thumleft:

Offline IDR

• <insert bias disclaimer here>
  • Administrator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #202 on: April 04, 2011, 12:32:07 am »
How do you feel carrying all that weight on your person? Don't you think it might be a little too bulky? Do you think perhaps that it could be possible that the size and weight of it might injure you quite badly in an off?

I try to carry as little as possible on my person while riding, I expect a cellphone (nevermind a tyre lever) in the side during a hard fall could be quite detrimental to your health.
The three things you need to fix anything in the universe: duct tape, WD-40 and a hammer.  If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.  If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.  Otherwise use the hammer.