Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Medical Facilities at Bashes  (Read 4091 times)

Offline Rynet

• Vendors
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
Re: Medical Facilities at Bashes
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2011, 08:59:58 pm »
No offence to anyone who was involved in organising the Bash but I think Karoodonkie has a very valid point.  I was supposed to leave Cape Town on Friday afternoon to come to the Bash,  but when my friend's condition worsened I got distracted and it got late, and I then decided to not leave Cape Town by myself at 18h30 .

This was a good decision BUT I was worried that my friends at the Bash would be worried about me and go and look for me.  I could not reach anyone at the Bash , including the owners , due to there being no reception.  I made over 10 telephone calls to neigbouring farms including the Tankwa National Park phones ,but there was no way of contacting anyone at the Bash. Fortunately my friends figured I would not ride in the dark. But it would have been a lot easier if I had a contact number , if one person at the Bash could have had a sat phone esp if I had ridden through and needed help in the middle of nowhere. In my case I have no moan (@ Freak :deal: ;)) but in Charl's case the situation was a lot more serious so I use my case merely to illustrate Karoodonkie's point .

Secondly no offence to anyone at the Bash but for a future Bash it would be a good idea to
find out before the time and put this on the main thread , which are the closest hospital to the Bash , the telephone numbers and the exact procedure to follow to get a seriously injured person to the nearest hospital in the quickest amount of time without stressing out the wives back in Cape Town .

I think Karoodonkie was a tad reactive when he made his point on the Charl thread, but essentially I agree with his points .

Having said that , I cannot compliment Piston Pete, Bradleys and the other back up drivers enough for everything that they did do at the Bash . I just think we can learn from Karoodonkie's very valid points.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 09:09:47 pm by Rynet »

Offline Freak

« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2011, 09:07:11 pm »
Oi!!!?? Wat het ek gedoen om ge mention te word?? ???

Firstly, i have looked into it... Sat phones are moer expensive if only used now and then. Secondly, what i looked forward to most was the remote-ness of the ride. I hate seeing and hewring cellies all weekend...

This was back to basics weekend ( for me anyway )

I know this may surprise you liewe rynet... But i disagree...

In future, those that want cell, hotel, meds, doc, mommy etc... Go to the buff. Sure its a lot safer.

THIS BASH WAS PERFECT PERFECT. AND I HOPE IT DIDNT PUT PP OFF FOR FUTURE EVENTS...IF SO ....PP... YOU CAN PM ME AND ILL JOIN YOU!

( just make sure theres the same amount of ice and tonic! )

Rynet...ek gannie weer jou tent erect nie.... :peepwall: 

Italjet - still have
YZ 80 - sold
Suzuki TS - 50 - broken
2x YZ 250cc - sold
Kawa KDX 200 - sold ZX - 6R - sold Suzuki GSXR 1000 K4- broken and in the bin Suzuki GSXR 1000 K5 - sold BMW GS 1150 - sold KTM 950 adventure S - sold Currently:  '79 BMW Bobber '63 BMW R50/2 '62 BMW R60/2 with sidecar '54 BMW R26/2 ... Still in kit form '74 BMW R75/6 custom .. In progress '82 BMW R80 G/S

Offline Heimer

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Kan nie ALZ onthou nie
    • Social Travel Digital solutions
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2011, 10:12:48 pm »

Firstly, i have looked into it... Sat phones are moer expensive if only used now and then. Secondly, what i looked forward to most was the remote-ness of the ride. I hate seeing and hewring cellies all weekend...

In future, those that want cell, hotel, meds, doc, mommy etc... Go to the buff. Sure its a lot safer.

THIS BASH WAS PERFECT PERFECT. AND I HOPE IT DIDNT PUT PP OFF FOR FUTURE EVENTS...IF SO ....PP... YOU CAN PM ME AND ILL JOIN YOU!

Hmm, praat van sexist. Jy help haar en dan loop sy sommer weg om te gaan syp.

-----------------
To repeat the basics. Although it is a get-together, each person is responsible for making the same prep he will make on a privately organised trip.
We are all grown up and should know how accountability works.

Matriek getuigskrif 1979: ........... is 'n vriendelike seun met volop selfvertroue. Hy tree soms vreemd op. Die skool se beste wense vergesel hom.

Offline Freak

« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2011, 10:19:42 pm »

-----------------
To repeat the basics. Although it is a get-together, each person is responsible for making the same prep he will make on a privately organised trip.

911 on------

Erger! Syt gewaai om ( hopenlik) n prys te gaan wen in die suiptent... En toe staan sy sommer op om my mooi onjanja hempie ook te vat! Cheek! Ek het dit gewen afterall!  :peepwall:
Ons gan jou naam veraner na skelnet.  :imaposer:

Italjet - still have
YZ 80 - sold
Suzuki TS - 50 - broken
2x YZ 250cc - sold
Kawa KDX 200 - sold ZX - 6R - sold Suzuki GSXR 1000 K4- broken and in the bin Suzuki GSXR 1000 K5 - sold BMW GS 1150 - sold KTM 950 adventure S - sold Currently:  '79 BMW Bobber '63 BMW R50/2 '62 BMW R60/2 with sidecar '54 BMW R26/2 ... Still in kit form '74 BMW R75/6 custom .. In progress '82 BMW R80 G/S

Offline Rynet

• Vendors
  • Race Dog
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2011, 10:24:13 pm »
 :laughing4: :laughing4: :laughing4:

Offline Vonkie

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2011, 10:58:20 pm »
My beurt om te  :pot:.
Ek lees bietjie die thread en wonder hoe n paar manne sou gevoel het as dit hulle was wat vir 4 ure gele en wag het vir hulp.

1.Tyd is kosbaar en daarom is ieman soos Bradley brood nodig op sulke afgelee outrides.
2. Ek glo elke een het sy eie medies en dra onkosted wat uit die ongeluk vloei. Die idee is net om die pasient te stabiliseer voor hy verder gaan.
3.Die idee is nie om n ambulans met met helikopter daar te he nie dit is belaglik....... maar jy wil tog net die ambulanse en hospitale laat weet wat aangaan sodat iemand aan diens is.
4.Iemand soos Bradley op die dag klink vir my oor goed genoeg en dit klink of hy n wilddog medalje moet kry vir al sy bystand. Goeie werk Bradley :thumleft:!!.
5.. Met so omtrent 120 betalende mense by die "get together" en so wat R50 per man, wat ek ook sou extra betaal, reken ek het jy genoeg om ten minste iemand wat 1. Nugter en 2. bekwaamd is daar te he vir n vinnige en akkurate evuluasie. Geen mediese fonds gaan sommer net n helikopter stuur as iemand bekwaamd op die grond nie vir hulle verduidelik dat dit regtig nodig is nie.
6. Die R50 kan dalk JOU lewe red volgende keer.

Ek weet dit is n hoe risiko stokperdjie en "elke man vir homself" soos meeste hier redeneer maar in realiteit is geen lewe hierdie swak redenasies werd nie!!!!.

Offline Trippple XC

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki Versys
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2011, 05:51:54 am »

-----------------

911 on------

Erger! Syt gewaai om ( hopenlik) n prys te gaan wen in die suiptent... En toe staan sy sommer op om my mooi onjanja hempie ook te vat! Cheek! Ek het dit gewen afterall!  :peepwall:
Ons gan jou naam veraner na skelnet.  :imaposer:

Rynet i dont think you should allow a personal crisis weekend  to cloud your judgement.Think a bit about how responsible it is to leave late for a planned outride without the back up and opposite direction to the planned event.Is this not a far greater risk than not having a medical back up on site.

The nearly ten phone calls was a bit over the top,you nearly came close to having the green people alerted to stop the "bikers" from destroying nature.

Last years WC Bash did not take place and the biggest complaint was cost,PP had allowed for full medical back up and in a earlier post a cost of around the  4-5K is mentioned i think you will find this is only to have them on site what about accomadation,food and so on.

Freak i must agree with you ,the no cell coverage was the biggest plus factor and was a known factor up front.

HEIMERS ANSWER IS SPOT ON WE ARE ADULTS AND IT IS OUR CHOICE AND WE ARE ACCOUNTABLE.

My two ronds worth :biggrin:
"Ride on ' Rough-shod if need be,smooth shod if that will do,but ride on 'Ride over all obstacles,and win the race'"- Charles Dickens

Offline whitefish

• Steek hom Steyntjie!!
  • Race Dog
  • Leef jou drome.
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2011, 07:37:24 am »
Daar was ongelukkig nie sein nie maar elke sport het sy beserings (fok daar se ek alweer sport :lamer:) Die medic op die site het alles reg gedoen en ek het by hom gestaan toe hy vir die ambulans personeel verduidelik wat hy als gedoen het hulle gevra het om net weer alles te double check. Ek sou veilig in sy hande voel. Dit was elke ridder se keuse om Saterdag te gaan ry of nie. Ek, en ek praat nou van myself, sou die ou sommer daar en dan met die bakkie reguit hospitaal toe geneem het of die ambulans halfpad gekry het of iets want daar is n klomp kosbare tyd verlore met die gewag vir die ambulans en die pad se verduideliking Stonehenge toe. Maar Charl is n tawwe ou lyk dit vir my so alles gaan fine wees en die mense kan nou ophou om in hulle broeke te mis! Mens moet wel seker maak dat daar altyd n ou is soos Bradley wat die nodige mediese agtergrond het en ek voel mens kan so n ou n klein ietsie gee net om dankie te se of ten minste net weer sy mediese tas/sak weer refill. Hoop om almal by die volgende bash te sien, Cheers :thumleft:
You only live once, and if you do it right, once is enough!!

Vorige bikes: Kawasaki KX 250, KX500, CR250, 1150 adv,KTM 950 SE, VSTROM 1000, XR 650, XR 600, Blackbird, Hayabusa, GSXR 750, KDX200, Katana 650, GSXR 250, CB 750F, LTZ 400, YFZ 450, Blaster, 700 Raptor, Africa Twin, ZX-14, F800GS, TRX 450, TW200, KTM 990 R, KTM 990 R, KTM 990 R, KTM 1190 R, BMW 1200 GSA, KTM 990 R, KTM 990, KTM 990 S

Offline Ama ride ride

• Gravel unlimited
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Ride to ride again
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2011, 08:00:56 am »
I can just shake my head.....

This tread is clearly an attempt to shift some blame to the organisers and can lead to other crap. There are more and more members joining the forum and bashes etc and it need only one arsehole who cant take responsibility for his/hers own safety to fark up everything.

Kamanya explained the legal responsibilities. So go figure. Its just a matter of time before an arsehole sues or whatever.

Gewoontlik n@@i ek reguit aan op fyndraai.

Offline Rynet

• Vendors
  • Race Dog
« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2011, 08:01:52 am »
KLR why oh why do people like you and Freak so often choose to misunderstand me.  Please read my post again in a calm mind and you will see I did not mean what your angry mind think I meant . I in no way am the least bit upset about what happened to me.  I do not blame Piston Pete for my phoning around ,  no farmer or national park person was upset at me phoning them at 18h30 as it was still early .  Many of my calls ended up being dead ends and there was no way of contacting the Bash . My friends DID worry, but nothing I then could do about it so it was such a tiny issue to me that I immediately forgot about it . I also do not blame Piston Pete for not having alerted the hospitals . And I think Bradleys did a fantastic job. I don't even think a trained medic on sight could have done any better. I am merely saying that
the next Bash the nearest hospital should be alerted to the fact of the bash and where it is so that they could be ready for a possible accident , and there should be one phone in working condition at the farm both for a medical condition at home, to alert a bash goer of a possible accident at home OR to at least phone the nearest hospital when there is an accident at the Bash and this number should be on the Bash thread . But if not then the organisers should ask warn bash goers that they do not know the number of the nearest hospital and every one should find this out himself, although then all 120 people could be phoning the nearest hospital .!

PS you really cannot say that I was too blame for being late  My friend in hospital's condition worsened after my friends had left Cape Town , I wnet to hospital again at 2h30 on Sat am ,and he did in fact die at hospital at 4h30 on Saturday morning ,and then I did come through to the Bash. I merely wanted to let my friends know that I was not coming through on Friday night as planned . SO how many times must I repeat this I AM NOT UPSET in the least . I am also not an overly emotional person. I am trained to be neutral. I am not upset about how Charl was treated . He got sterling treatment from Bradleys as much as he could have done or anyone could have done at the scene. In fact I personally happen to think the world of Bradleys . If I had an accident I cannot think of anyone more competent that I would like to have with me . Nothing any medic at the scene could have done more at the scene without having a ambulance with him and that is too expensive and unceccesary to have . BUT if there was an immediate contact with the hospital this would have made things much smoother for everyone concerned with Charl ( I don't even know him ) So while I do not agree with the way Karoodonkie blamed the organisers , I DO understand his anger , and am saying we can learn from his valid points for FUTURE bashes .

« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 08:09:24 am by Rynet »

Offline JonW

• Hilton Hound
  • Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Boss Hoss (all models)
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2011, 08:16:27 am »

This tread is clearly an attempt to shift some blame to the organisers and can lead to other crap.

Errr no  :o

This thread was started to firstly shift the mud-slinging away from the thread wishing Charl well in his recovery from his accident, and secondly to debate the issues around whether it is either desireable or cost effective to have medical back-up at bashes.  :deal:
How can I be lost if I've got nowhere to go?

Offline JC

« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2011, 08:21:27 am »
@rynet: as jou buddies rerig bekommerd was kon hulle die 1km tot bo op die bult gery het en hul MTN fone gebruik het om te bel en hoor waar jy is.

wat verhoed enigeen van ons om 'n foon op te tel of te google waar die naaste hospitaal is?

Offline Malibu

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Matchless (all models)
  • Just a girl on a bike!
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2011, 08:23:30 am »
Change is one of the greatest certainties there is.  ;)  

As this forum is growing at an amazing rate, and the number of new riders joining the ranks increase, the original values from the early days will slowly crumble under the onslaught... back then, being hard-core, tough, un-breakable, etc were qualities held in high regard, but now it seems that things are changing.  Not that there is a problem with that, but I miss a lot of the 'original' riders, they are now very scarce here.  

We sit now with a situation where we have to find the new line of acceptability in planning for events and gatherings.  This could back-lash on the forum, as costs could increase (knocking some riders out) or the event organisers could feel that the effort required is beyond thier availalbe time/desire.  

I feel that in essense, we are "Adventure Riders"... and we should cover ourselves as far as possible.  If you have interesting info pertaining to a location/event, put it up or forward to the organisers.  Guys, get pro-active yourselves if you think it's important, not dump more work/effort onto organisers.  

Maybe we can find a middle ground...

My 2c
They call me Judy or Judes...

You need chaos in your soul to birth a shining star!

Offline Ama ride ride

• Gravel unlimited
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Ride to ride again
« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2011, 08:29:35 am »
the original values from the early days will slowly crumble under the onslaught... back then, being hard-core, tough, un-breakable, etc were qualities held in high regard, but now it seems that things are changing.  Not that there is a problem with that, but I miss a lot of the 'original' riders, they are now very scarce here.  

Very well said Mal.  :thumleft:

Everybody take note.

Gewoontlik n@@i ek reguit aan op fyndraai.

Offline RobC

• Stoepkakkertjie
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2011, 08:46:51 am »

This tread is clearly an attempt to shift some blame to the organisers and can lead to other crap. There are more and more members joining the forum and bashes etc and it need only one arsehole who cant take responsibility for his/hers own safety to fark up everything.

Kamanya explained the legal responsibilities. So go figure. Its just a matter of time before an arsehole sues or whatever.

Spot on with this observation!
The next remote bash must have that fact posted in line one in bold red... ::)
Like some folks in the USA blame the president for Katrina but I say why the hell live in a house below sea level when a cataclysmic hurricane is on it's way? Get the hell out of Dodge I say! :xxbah:
Point is that WD bashes are just a get together location people... the rest is up to you!  :deal:

Offline ETS

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure S
  • Die Punda van Prieska
« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2011, 08:50:21 am »

Like some folks in the USA blame the president for Katrina but I say why the hell live in a house below sea level when a cataclysmic hurricane is on it's way? Get the hell out of Dodge I say! :xxbah:
Point is that WD bashes are just a get together location people... the rest is up to you!  :deal:

+1
If i had to explain you would not understand anyway......

cocky

« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2011, 08:54:31 am »

Agreed 100% :thumleft:

Offline whitefish

• Steek hom Steyntjie!!
  • Race Dog
  • Leef jou drome.
« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2011, 08:56:12 am »

+1
+100
You only live once, and if you do it right, once is enough!!

Vorige bikes: Kawasaki KX 250, KX500, CR250, 1150 adv,KTM 950 SE, VSTROM 1000, XR 650, XR 600, Blackbird, Hayabusa, GSXR 750, KDX200, Katana 650, GSXR 250, CB 750F, LTZ 400, YFZ 450, Blaster, 700 Raptor, Africa Twin, ZX-14, F800GS, TRX 450, TW200, KTM 990 R, KTM 990 R, KTM 990 R, KTM 1190 R, BMW 1200 GSA, KTM 990 R, KTM 990, KTM 990 S

Offline edgy

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
    • A Stone's Throw Bed & Breakfast
« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2011, 09:04:48 am »
We sit now with a situation where we have to find the new line of acceptability in planning for events and gatherings.  This could back-lash on the forum, as costs could increase (knocking some riders out) or the event organisers could feel that the effort required is beyond thier availalbe time/desire. 

I feel that in essense, we are "Adventure Riders"... and we should cover ourselves as far as possible.  If you have interesting info pertaining to a location/event, put it up or forward to the organisers.  Guys, get pro-active yourselves if you think it's important, not dump more work/effort onto organisers.

Well put Mal! :thumleft:
www.astonesthrow.co.za

BEER..."I drink it when I`m happy or when I`m sad. I drink it when I`m alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. Trifle with it if I`m not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise, I never touch it - unless I`m thirsty"

cocky

« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2011, 09:10:08 am »
If I may toss my 5c worth in here!
Our Wild Dog bashes have become a lot more than a "party" and as such need a better approach to the way they are planned. I think the time has come that our esteemed leaders draw up a "hand book" on bash planning and make it a uniform affair. Not Bike SA style, but more a way it is planned and executed. 
I think if we are to attract more newbies to these events, which is a lot more than getting pissed in the bush, but is aimed at the one thing that unites us all, RIDING BIKES and enjoying our country.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 09:13:41 am by cocky »