Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Medical Facilities at Bashes  (Read 4069 times)

Offline RobC

• Stoepkakkertjie
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
Re: Medical Facilities at Bashes
« Reply #80 on: March 30, 2011, 11:14:36 am »
Meow

Where does one draw the line? Who is responsible for medical help?

A.) If I ride the R355 alone and fall cos of my own stupidity
B.) If I get invited to ride the R355 with friends and I fall cos of my own stupidity
C.) If Piston Pete organise a lekker get together near the R355 and I fall cos of my own stupidity.

A good lawyer will do the following;
a. Sue the appropriate roads authority for not ensuring rider safety. >:D
b. Sue the invitee, friends and road authority for contributing to the accident in various ways. ::)
c. Sue PP for every red cent he has. :-\

Moral of the story... keep lawyers out of things except when riding solo! :mwink:

Offline Chairman Meow

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Obey the Kitty
« Reply #81 on: March 30, 2011, 11:24:47 am »
 :laughing4:........Definitely No Lawyers  (Black Bottle)  :biggrin:

........In the end its a interesting debate.
Know the risks,use your commen sense , stand up and take responsibility for your actions and go and enjoy the ride.

(or make friends with doctors & lawyers and make sure they are part of your atgatt)  ;D

Offline Pistonpete

• Shop Mods
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Live to Ride...Ride to Live
« Reply #82 on: March 30, 2011, 11:27:22 am »
RYNET.....kom help asseblief!  :imaposer:
'Routine is the thief of time'

Offline tau

• hasbeen and a
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • The Tool from Tulbagh
« Reply #83 on: March 30, 2011, 11:27:43 am »
I think included in your name on the list thread for who is coming and who is sleeping in what where, maybe we should make an ICE list so that we can print and if a fellow riders crashes we can have all his details.

This thread is to improve our situation and limit problems in future. I think all was great on the weekend we just need more communication plans.

Maybe we all pitch in to purchase a Sat phone ?????

Offline Legadema

• Race Dog
« Reply #84 on: March 30, 2011, 11:30:46 am »
The input here is all valid. It's a heads up for future gatherings.

All we actually need is more qualified para-medics, effective radio communications and some satellite phones.

If anyone can sponsor the last two items please come forward!  :thumleft:  :)

Pete, I have a satellite phone that is available for any WD outride. You just have to get your own simcard. Pm me if you need for a WD event. Anytime for free.

Offline Pistonpete

• Shop Mods
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #85 on: March 30, 2011, 11:31:07 am »
I think included in your name on the list thread for who is coming and who is sleeping in what where, maybe we should make an ICE list so that we can print and if a fellow riders crashes we can have all his details.

This thread is to improve our situation and limit problems in future. I think all was great on the weekend we just need more communication plans.

I think MRBig has some kind of list?

Offline Pistonpete

• Shop Mods
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #86 on: March 30, 2011, 11:32:31 am »

All we actually need is more qualified para-medics, effective radio communications and some satellite phones.

Pete, I have a satellite phone that is available for any WD outride. You just have to get your own simcard. Pm me if you need for a WD event. Anytime for free.
Dogs for dogs... :thumleft:
Thanks Legadema
PM sent

Offline tau

• hasbeen and a
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • The Tool from Tulbagh
« Reply #87 on: March 30, 2011, 11:35:51 am »

I think MRBig has some kind of list?

Like this pete???

1. Tau     John Webb- Discovery Health-   ICE: Janel Webb 765646677- allergy's: being bored.

Then we all know. If not public then send to orginiser who has a list and copy's them and hand to sweepers and back up vehicle and Bradley's.

Dogs for dogs... :thumleft:
Thanks Legadema
PM sent

Befork oom Bob

Offline Pistonpete

• Shop Mods
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #88 on: March 30, 2011, 11:38:35 am »
Lets get hold of Big & see how he rolls with it :thumleft:

Offline Rynet

• Vendors
  • Race Dog
« Reply #89 on: March 30, 2011, 11:44:19 am »

If anyone can sponsor the last two items please come forward!  :thumleft:  :)

Thanks Legadema  :thumleft:. When 120 people gather together esp riding together , as much as they can do plenty for themselves , there will always be a big chance of something going wrong and the presence of a Sat phone ( which number should be posted on the main planning a ride thread) and which could be used for emergencies  ( and only for emergencies ) both from home and esp at at the camp to phone a pre-arranged hospital will make a crucial difference .  :thumleft: :thumleft:
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 11:45:15 am by Rynet »

Offline IDR

• <insert bias disclaimer here>
  • Administrator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #90 on: March 30, 2011, 11:48:02 am »

Mr Big's list is really a help you when you are stranded list, a list of people who are willing to help, not participants.

It might be worthwhile to keep a list of just such information per member, if they so choose - as tau mentioned above.  In all fairness though, you should have this stuff on your person and accessible IN ANY CASE.

ICE tags for one are great, get some here: http://www.iceid.co.za/home.php?cat=3
The three things you need to fix anything in the universe: duct tape, WD-40 and a hammer.  If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.  If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.  Otherwise use the hammer.

Offline Rynet

• Vendors
  • Race Dog
« Reply #91 on: March 30, 2011, 11:59:05 am »
@rynet: as jou buddies rerig bekommerd was kon hulle die 1km tot bo op die bult gery het en hul MTN fone gebruik het om te bel en hoor waar jy is.

wat verhoed enigeen van ons om 'n foon op te tel of te google waar die naaste hospitaal is?

THe point is that we were not informed that there is no telephone or reception at the farm.  If I had known before the time it would have made it easier . In my case it was a non issue, and my friends did gather , correctly , that I would not ride in the dark , but if someone from home had been dying and needed to reach a love one at the Bash it could have been an issue. Maybe just something that the organisers could post on the planning a ride thread next time ?  THat there is no telephone or cell reception . Or even better , have a Satelite phone, which Legadema has now kindly offered to lend to a future Bash .

The second point was not that one could not google. It would have just been easier if the hospital stuff had been done before the time . But not blaming , we did not think of it . Point of this thread to do it better for a future Bash. After the accident Charl's friends apparently struggled to get the number of the hospital and for some or other reason could not find a telephone or the nearest hospital's details at the Bash , or not fast enough and that the ambulance could not be directed to the Bash,  and the wives back in Cape Town had to do the phoning around and the directing the hospital ambulance to the Bash.

In no way am I saying Charl's did not get the best help at the Bash , but if there was a working telephone and pre-arraged plans for a hospital and ambulance being being aware of the Bash and how to get there ( NOT on standbye) , then things could have been smoother and less stressed for him and his friends and family , that's all.  I agree that the Bash was perfect .

Offline Wooly Bugger

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Buell Ulysses XB12
  • DILLIGAF?
« Reply #92 on: March 30, 2011, 12:05:52 pm »
@Cockster.................I don't agree with the concept of uniformity of the regional bashes, each to his own and keep up the respective traditions built-up to date.
This is not life or death. It is an internet forum.

Offline MrBig

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Triumph 955 Tiger
  • Stellenbosch
« Reply #93 on: March 30, 2011, 12:35:52 pm »

Mr Big's list is really a help you when you are stranded list, a list of people who are willing to help, not participants.

It might be worthwhile to keep a list of just such information per member, if they so choose - as tau mentioned above.  In all fairness though, you should have this stuff on your person and accessible IN ANY CASE.

ICE tags for one are great, get some here: http://www.iceid.co.za/home.php?cat=3

Unfortunately the data I have pertains more to Roadside Assistance and only has contact details of participating members.
"I know you think you understand what I said, but what you don't understand is what I said is not what I mean."

Offline Rynet

• Vendors
  • Race Dog
« Reply #94 on: March 30, 2011, 12:50:18 pm »
RYNET.....kom help asseblief!  :imaposer:

Sorry Pete , just saw your comment now. I think in SA most people cannot afford to sue for delict. It costs big money to sue . Mostly lawyers will only take on delict cases like RAF ( Road Accident Fund ) cases or against say a hospital or if you fall at Pick and Pay, and only when there is a clear cut case of fault,  because then the lawyer knows his fees will be paid by the RAF or the State or say Pick and Pay at the end . No one is going to sue you for a bike accident if you arrange the event , because how do you prove you are to blame ? and secondly because you won't have enough money  :biggrin: , so I think there is nothing to worry about. But I can look at your disclaimer form or help you with a blurb to put in your future Planning a Ride theads , so e -mail it to me ,  or join us for drinks at Firemans and chat to me ,  but really if you are not Raymond Ackerman or the State , don't worry  ;) We are definately far from being the sue -happy lilke the Americans are . My 2 cents .
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 12:51:40 pm by Rynet »

Offline AntonW

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
« Reply #95 on: March 30, 2011, 01:37:23 pm »
Maybe the WD forum should have an ICE list of all members?
Henry Kissinger is said to have once opined that "academic debates are so bitter because the stakes are so low.

" It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you
realise that there is always a way to solve problems without using violence "

Offline IDR

• Administrator
  • Grey hound
« Reply #96 on: March 30, 2011, 01:50:10 pm »
Maybe the WD forum should have an ICE list of all members?

However, I would not want my personal details available to just anyone who can register on the forum....
The three things you need to fix anything in the universe: duct tape, WD-40 and a hammer.  If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.  If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.  Otherwise use the hammer.

Offline IDR

• Administrator
  • Grey hound
« Reply #97 on: March 30, 2011, 01:53:28 pm »
Seriously, everyone should be responsible for themselves ICE... get an ICE tag, ffs.  As in life, as on this forum, you are ultimately responsible for your own actions, and should both live and ride accordingly.  If you are the type to jump out of airplanes with a light canvas strapped to your back, have some sort of ICE information on you.

To burden a single organiser with the responsibility to look after you if you had to come pipe is also unfair - he might be having a good time at base camp 10 beers deep, out of cellphone range.

Be practical about it - if you're in a small group, share ICE details, and keep copies of each between you.  AND HAVE YOUR OWN ICE INFO READILY AVAILABLE, on your wrist, helmet, wherever.

Offline 2phat

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Vespa (all models)
  • Still looking for a Laverda Jota or Mirage
« Reply #98 on: March 30, 2011, 01:54:16 pm »
"Maybe the WD forum should have an ICE list of all members?"

In theory yes- but like IDR said -
And again it is shifting responsibility to other people..
Just wear an ICE tag and have an ICE number on your cell phone!

EDIT: Sorry IDR replied too his own post at same time
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 01:55:32 pm by 2phat »

Offline BOER!

• is 'n GS neersletterende
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • What's Updog?
« Reply #99 on: March 30, 2011, 02:03:40 pm »
Valid point IDR.

When  I plan a social outride, I make a quick list of all the guys who showed interest.

Morning of the ride, I hand out a Excell spreadsheet printed out, with ICE nrs only to be filled in by the riders.

As organizer of the ride, it helps and takes 5minutes.  And avoid an hours confusion and phoning around.
My hart kom affie plaas, Waar die Wind en die Son en die Stilte my speelmaats was.

Everybody falls off. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't.