Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Boer's BMW Booster Thingamabob.  (Read 5822 times)

Offline TheBear

Boer's BMW Booster Thingamabob.
« on: April 03, 2011, 07:34:52 am »
Ja, so, due an error by Eskom I didn't have to pay the lektriek bill this month and had about R1k burning a serious hole in my pocket.  With my pocket almost on fire, I read about the so-called accelarerator plug.  Wanted to buy some Capey dude's second hand one, but he sold it before I could make up my mind, so off I went to see Boer.   He fitted the thing in a few minutes, cash exhanged hands and, full of expectations, off I went.  I have now ridden my bike just on 300km's with the plug installed.  Herewith my feedback.  I will list all expactations (my own as well as what I read on the web) and how well they were met:

Bike:  

2009 BMW R1200GS (Acropovic can)

Cooler running:

Can't sday as the GS heat guage does not measure in small increments.

Barking:

Reduced to a level that keeps the 18 year old in me happy, without embarresing the 50 year old.

Smoother Idling:

It never really bothered me, so I didn't expect any change.  I did however read some stuff on the web that the plug will provide a "stronger" idle.  I won't bet my salary on this, but I am pretty sure I do now have a smoother idle, especially when the bike is warm.

Throttle response:

I absolutely required this improvement.  I grew up in the carburettor era.  Me, myself and I control the throttle, not some propellor head, rocket scientist type dude in a far away country.  Me and only me!  I feel strongly about this and the Accelerator thingy gave me exactly that.  Also, not being Valentino Rossi, in my normal commuting I seldomly exceed 4500 revs (exactly where the plug does its job) and therefore, the bike feels awesome all the time with that dastardly throttle vagueness gone.  For me, this is a dramatic improvement, especially at revs below 4000.  This makes the bike much more responsive and easier to ride as throttle movement gives exactly what is expected by the rider.   I am an instructor with a rider school and I found the Beemer irritating to control properly during slow speed manauvers, i.e. figure 8's etc.  It was now spot on.

Better performance:

I wasn't too concerned if the bike had more power or not.  It does have oodles of power anyway, but I noted some claims in this regard on forums, all over the place.  I can't bet my eye teeth that there is more power, ergo more performance.  I does however feel that way and what is fact, is that is is much easier to get off the mark quickly.  Prior to fitting the plug, I felt that too much clutch slip was required to really make it fly off te mark.  Now it feels like I would expect a 1200cc bike to feel.  There is a vast improvement in what I call "roll-on" power as well.  By this I mean cruising in a gear and you need to go just a tad faster.  In the past, you would open the throttle and wait.  Now the bike immediately increases speed and feels powerful doing so as well.  I don't know if a dyno will confirm this, but to me that is unimportant.  The bike is more rideable and that is important to me.

Smoother:

Indeed!  I found a smoothing out of things in two areas that irked me a tad about this bike.  First, normal slow riding and gear changes, especialy 1 through 3 or 4.  The plug made a big difference.  The biggest thing that truly irritated me was changing gears when hammering it through the revs.  Changing gears at high revs was like a bloody beginner on a 50cc two stroke.  You just could not seem to syncronise clutch and throttle.  That is 90% gone and for me, that alone is worth the price of the plug.  I am a tad old to change gears like a beginner!

Fuel consumption:

I didn't expect anything, but initial indications are an improvement in fuel consumption of about 0,2 l/100km, or about 0.8 km/l.  One tank is not a large enough sample to really say, so I will monitor this for awhile.

Pinging:

My bike seemed to have a noise from the engine, especially when asked to accelarate hard from lowish revs.  It sounded like the start of a fine ping to me, although BMW techies couldn't hear anything untoward.  That noise is now gone.  It indicates to me that the sound I heard was the start of a ping and with the thingamajig in place, that was resolved.  

General:

There isn't much wrong with the R1200GS.  It is an awesome bike to start with.  With the plug is just gets so much nicer to ride and with my limited knowledge, all the changes I experienced tells me that the bike is now running a tad richer than before.  Obviously this can only be proven by a proper dyno test, but I am happy.  A tad rich is always better than a tad lean in terms of engine wear and a tad lean makes the bike less responsive and enjoyable to ride.

Thanks Boer!  It works as stated and more.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 09:53:51 am by AMZ »
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline Schlowy

• Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Leave Nothing To Chance
Re: Boer's BMW Booster Thingamabob.
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 09:00:44 am »
Good day and congratulation you just take the blue pill   !
A new world is open now  :D
the name is actually "Accelerator Module" and not "Booster plug"
BMW engine are lean from the factory ,the installation of the AM make the engine  running the way it was design (before the legal team come and impose their rules >:D )
with time the performance of your engine are going to get even better when the richer mix is going to remove some of the residua a leaner mix leave behind

Independent  tests show an increase of 5- 7 HP on the low and mid range
the long time test show an improvement between 7-10% in fuel .
Boar was one of the first riders in South Africa that help us to test, improve and market our devices
Boar thank you !!!

Offline Chuck U Farley

• Bike: BMW R100GS / Kalahari
  • What the Chuck, Farley?
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 09:36:00 am »
OK, so I want one!

Boer, what's the deal? How much Moola & when can I get it? Let me know urgently, my life just won't be complete without your thingamabob!  :biggrin:
go BIG or go home

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 10:31:45 am »
This sounds good. Does the R880 include postage? Can I fit this at home myself?
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Schlowy

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 10:43:09 am »
hi there
R880 do not inc. shipping  (next day delivery is R70 to the cape area) detail instructions is attached
on the GS800 it is involve open 6 bolts and remove the  top cover it take around 5 min for complete installation

Boar have stock and he  can fit this for you  if you are around the Pretoria area or you can do it by yourself

Offline TheBear

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 11:12:39 am »
This sounds good. Does the R880 include postage? Can I fit this at home myself?

I watched Boer carefully as he fitted it.  Not wanted to take away from his technical skills, a deaf, dumb and blind kid can, between pinball games, fit this in minutes.  The biggest part of the job is removing the panel to get to the fitment area.  It is really as easy as unplugging an plugging-in a USB cable from you PC. 
#33 #BRADICAL!

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 11:14:38 am »
hi there
R880 do not inc. shipping  (next day delivery is R70 to the cape area) detail instructions is attached
on the GS800 it is involve open 6 bolts and remove the  top cover it take around 5 min for complete installation

Boar have stock and he  can fit this for you  if you are around the Pretoria area or you can do it by yourself

Thanks.
Will think about it. Better fuel and smoother enginevibes is what Im after. More power would be nice but with my
limited skills what to do with it!!?
info@dustriders.co.za
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline punisher

• DILLIGAF
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 12:10:58 pm »
would this  thingamabob  work on the 2007  model ???
just wanna have fun , and ride ... and ....... ride

Offline Schlowy

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 12:17:50 pm »
yep ,on any BMW with electronic engine management

Offline LouisXander

• Lesotho (K)night rider.
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Member of the Secret Sazook Society...
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 01:00:01 pm »
Schlowy, I must make a turn by you to pick up those LED globes. That Dakar screen that was lying in your shop the other day, if it isn't used, can I make you a offer for it?

Cheers
Don't dress for the ride,........dress for the fall!

Offline Schlowy

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011, 01:10:26 pm »
Schlowy, I must make a turn by you to pick up those LED globes. That Dakar screen that was lying in your shop the other day, if it isn't used, can I make you a offer for it?

Cheers
i will be out tomorrow and from Wed for a week , if you come on Tuesday we will see (there so much Sh+t lying around in this shop ,i don't even remember to which screen you refer to ...)

Offline GSBoland

• Bike: BMW R1100GS
  • Paarl
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2011, 07:05:21 pm »
self op n ou R1100GS met stock uitlaat wat se binne goed uitgesny is?
Black 1100GS

Offline Schlowy

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2011, 07:50:48 pm »
Hi there
yes it will ,the unit that fit your bike is the AM7 , you can find it on our online shop under a GS1200 (it is the same unit )
http://shop.schlowycustoms.com

let me know if you need any help

Offline BMWPE

• Port Elizabeth
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2011, 09:09:32 pm »
Hi there
yes it will ,the unit that fit your bike is the AM7 , you can find it on our online shop under a GS1200 (it is the same unit )

Will it fit the HP2 aswell ?
Rallye

Offline Harry the Buffalo

• I NEED Freedom!!To survive>>>>
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2011, 09:23:28 pm »
Shit ek wil ook een van hierdie goeters he :thumleft: Lyk my dit maak lekker NOG lekkerder..............Sal dit my waarborg affekteer en kan die Beemer mense dit optel op hulle computers ??? BTW ek ry n 2011 GSA :thumleft:
Having "GUTS" means being "SHIT" scared and still winding the throttle!!!

Offline Goose

• NAPIER Country life is great!
  • Shop Mods
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2011, 09:34:50 pm »
Shit ek wil ook een van hierdie goeters he :thumleft: Lyk my dit maak lekker NOG lekkerder..............Sal dit my waarborg affekteer en kan die Beemer mense dit optel op hulle computers ??? BTW ek ry n 2011 GSA :thumleft:

nee hulle sal nie dit optel nie - hule kan net "error-codes" lees. Jy kan ook try om jou Lamda sensors se plug's te ontkoppel - onder die silinders. Dit laat die fiets ook ryker loop. Ek het gekry dat ek nou in 5e rat teen styl bult met vrou agterop kan ry - geen pinging en hy loop soos 'n bom, waar ek voorheen in 3e rat my tande moet kners!
"Life is a Waste of Time..... Time is a Waste of Life........ Get Wasted all the Time and have the Time of your Life"  ()

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2011, 09:37:57 pm »

nee hulle sal nie dit optel nie - hule kan net "error-codes" lees. Jy kan ook try om jou Lamda sensors se plug's te ontkoppel - onder die silinders. Dit laat die fiets ook ryker loop. Ek het gekry dat ek nou in 5e rat teen styl bult met vrou agterop kan ry - geen pinging en hy loop soos 'n bom, waar ek voorheen in 3e rat my tande moet kners!
Goosie my ou maat, nou praat jy gans taal ??? Het nie a farking clue waarvan jy praat nie ??? NOEM MY DOm..............maar eksplain nog a bietjie verder seblief

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2011, 10:13:23 pm »
Nee wat Harry los die nuwe fiets eers n bietjie.
Kry eerder vir jou n plug wat rooklus wegvat!! :peepwall: :deal:
info@dustriders.co.za
www.dustriders.co.za

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2011, 10:15:54 pm »
Nee wat Harry los die nuwe fiets eers n bietjie.
Kry eerder vir jou n plug wat rooklus wegvat!! :peepwall: :deal:
Chris :patch: Ek kou chappies dat dit n aardigheid is :mwink: My kakebene het nog NOOIT so baie excersize gehad nie :imaposer: maar ek hou nog :thumleft:

Offline Schlowy

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2011, 10:21:20 pm »
Hi there

Will it fit the HP2 aswell ?

Yep ,AM7 Will fit the HP2
as long you remove  it before send it there ,it can not be detected
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 10:27:32 pm by Schlowy »