Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Boer's BMW Booster Thingamabob.  (Read 5814 times)

Offline Dakarboy

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
Re: Boer's BMW Booster Thingamabob.
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2011, 06:55:50 pm »
One for a 650 dakar  ??? My bike is not idling too great and when I am on ever so slightly positive throttle, the bike stutters befre it pulls away. 45000km 2005 model.

Offline Moondog

• Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
  • AKA : Tony
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2011, 08:40:39 pm »
Dakarboy, I would not look at something like this to fix a problem that isn't actually in the bikes genetics - it may mask a real problem - valve clearances, dirty filters, fuel pump about to go, etc, etc - rather get the bike in the best condition it can be stock, before looking to modify it.
Life is tough - get a helmet!

Offline TheBear

« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2011, 11:56:02 am »
Dakarboy, I would not look at something like this to fix a problem that isn't actually in the bikes genetics - it may mask a real problem - valve clearances, dirty filters, fuel pump about to go, etc, etc - rather get the bike in the best condition it can be stock, before looking to modify it.

+1000!
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline Copernicus

• Bike: Vespa (all models)
  • Crossroads in the dirt.
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2011, 02:39:49 pm »
I am surprised that there can be so much improvement by only corrupting the air temperature input.  Or does this thing do more?
I started biking as an under achiever and it went downhill from there...

Offline BOER!

• is 'n GS neersletterende
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • What's Updog?
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2011, 02:50:41 pm »
One for a 650 dakar  ??? My bike is not idling too great and when I am on ever so slightly positive throttle, the bike stutters befre it pulls away. 45000km 2005 model.

650 Dakar does not have fuel injection, but carburettor, so AM doesn't work on it.
My hart kom affie plaas, Waar die Wind en die Son en die Stilte my speelmaats was.

Everybody falls off. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't.

Offline Schlowy

• Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Leave Nothing To Chance
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2011, 02:58:49 pm »
just a small correction
yes the Dakar Engine has carburetor in its quad version  (same engine BMW buy is used by some quad Manifactors ) the Dakar is using a very primitive form of fuel injection which the AM can not mambo jumbo :pot: ...

this is the rezone we do not recommend installing the am on the Dakar engine

Offline Schlowy

« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2011, 03:16:45 pm »
I am surprised that there can be so much improvement by only corrupting the air temperature input.  Or does this thing do more?

actually that Corrupting stuff is doing  more then just improving your engine  performance
since the mix is the way it was suppose to be the engine is running cooler = better fuel consumption = longer life of the piston/engine  = better engine response =happy rider = less problem at home since you say yes to all what your wife is nagging you for = get more sex = less stress = low blood pressure :D

and all this from a piece of black wire and a copper head .....

Offline chris g

« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2011, 04:57:41 pm »
I need one by Friday how do i arrange this
My doctor said that I should stop riding because of all my injuries...
At the moment I'm looking for a new doctor...

Offline BMWPE

• Port Elizabeth
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2011, 05:51:17 pm »
I need one by Friday how do i arrange this

Easy here is the link go to shop pay and they courier it to you next day  :biggrin:
http://www.schlowycustoms.com/
Rallye

Offline Copernicus

« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2011, 06:33:09 am »
I am still not convinced.  I do not doubt the results (smoothness, cooler running etc.) but how can the engine run richer and be more fuel efficient?  Somewhere you have to lose something because in any system you fight against the laws of thermodynamics.

If the engine is set up to run as efficiently as possible and that setup is to close to the mechanical limitations, I would also not mind sacrificing something for better durability.  Usually you sacrifice fuel economy, or perhaps clean exhaust gasses or power, but somewhere you will pay.  If you gain on everything then why not set the engine up like that from the start?

I think you have to check perhaps the fuel economy again.  Same or more power with a cooler running engine? Something is sacrificed in the process.

But I am still interested in getting one  :thumleft:
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 08:24:16 am by Platbrak »

Offline Moondog

• Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
  • AKA : Tony
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2011, 06:41:17 am »
Running the bike lean is a 'green' thing - set that way to meet international emission control standards.
Life is tough - get a helmet!

Offline Runner

• Forum Vendor
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • Willearea
    • Off Road Cycles
« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2011, 07:06:50 am »
I have some in stock too
OFFROAD CYCLES:
For all your Offroad and Adventure Motorcycle needs.
Conrad Koen 012 333 6443 | info@offroadcycles.co.za
22 Blesbok Ave, Koedoespoort Industrial, Pretoria.

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • Carpe Diem (in Afrikaans: Life's short, Ride hard)
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2011, 12:12:44 pm »
I am still not convinced.  I do not doubt the results (smoothness, cooler running etc.) but how can the engine run richer and be more fuel efficient?  Somewhere you have to lose something because in any system you fight against the laws of thermodynamics.

If the engine is set up to run as efficiently as possible and that setup is to close to the mechanical limitations, I would also not mind sacrificing something for better durability.  Usually you sacrifice fuel economy, or perhaps clean exhaust gasses or power, but somewhere you will pay.  If you gain on everything then why not set the engine up like that from the start?

I think you have to check perhaps the fuel economy again.  Same or more power with a cooler running engine? Something is sacrificed in the process.

Hi Platbrak. Have you read this thread yet? http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=58420.0
BoosterPlug, LED Spots, Tool Tubes, RustStop, Kappa Screens, Top boxes, Tank Bags, ATG Gear - whatever works for me.

Offline Copernicus

« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2011, 02:01:28 pm »

Hi Platbrak. Have you read this thread yet? http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=58420.0

Thanks.  I had a look and more or less confirmed my thinking.  Most valuable is perhaps the comment that running to lean could also increase fuel consumption.  There could be more reasons but the better economy would not be what I am after.  I would like to feel the difference in smoothness and hopefully better control, especially at low/crawling speeds.  Is anybody willing to guarrantee that it would not stuff up anything?

But I am willing to give it a go.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 02:04:54 pm by Platbrak »

Offline Schlowy

« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2011, 02:10:59 pm »
Hi to all
After consideration we have decided that the  AM will be available exclusively   for Forum members in the Gauteng area

From Boar and Runner only

in other words if you are reside in this area we ask you kindly to pm one of them ,if you are out of this area then contact us directly

in this way we will have a better service to members

Offline spankme

« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2011, 04:03:18 pm »
has anyone run a before and after on a dyno to compare the air/fuel ratio throughout the rpm range

Basically I guess what this magic box does is sit in series with the lamda sensor and gives an offset reading,set for optimum around 4-4500rpm

quickest way to damage a lamda sensor is running a few tanks of leaded fuel :mwink:

Offline Schlowy

« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2011, 04:09:52 pm »
good day
there is no connection between the Lamb sensor the the air Temp sensor (and the Acc Mod. which connect in Series to it )
the engine management take input from the Lamb sensor when the RPM is steady (cruise speed) the input from the air temp is done in acceleration only ,there for the Acc Mod. will not Damage the Lamb sensor  or any other thing in your bike

Offline AntVan

• I am the Zipslayer! Hear me zzzzzzzzp!
« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2011, 06:35:36 am »
Schlowy, I'll try your prototype any day!

Recently noticed that from 4800 RPM power dropped, but like binary tjom. Suddenly I would sit on the handlebars and the bike would just feel like it wants to stop. I had to nurse the throttle to get past that dead zone. It sounds like some pre-ignition going on in there but I can't say I've heard any actual pinging.

Ordered the AM from Schlowy two days before and it was delivered yesterday by a very confused delivery dude. Apparently no one told him to look for the CSIR, just the street name. He was looking for a number, but the CSIR has two entrances and basically take up the whole street!

Anyway, installed the AM, but fixed the probe to the rear, unlike Boer's installation which goes to the front.

This is my initial report on a 2005 BMW R1200GS (edit: with dodgy coil)

Smoother Idling:

Can't say, since my throttle was balanced by BMW recently (and since then I have had this dead zone). I had very smooth idling on the bike since ever.

Throttle response:

Not empirical. Perception is that it does feel like it is more direct. It's like the delay is gone. Very much like my previous carb golf, very unlike the computerized Honda.

Better performance:

Not empirical. Perception is that my bike "wants to" pull! A bit of a surprise to me, I got caught once or twice while learning the new response.

Fuel consumption:

Too early to tell. More responsive throttle might force me to use less fuel I suppose. Also my fuel consumption was not what I would call consistent.

Pinging:

What feels like pre-ignition (or losing spark) initially at 4800 RPM. Now that band has seemed to move up to a higher band. I can still introduce the symptoms, but less severe. I want to talk to Lenny about this, I am not impressed with the change in my bike after the service. But I must say the bike is now more ride-able.
Lenny diagnosed it was spark going nowhere due to dodgy coil!

Overall I still think it is a lot of money for two connectors and a piece of 4-core wire. However the change is more than enough for me to warrant the moolah.

I am impressed with the increase in performance. Would like Lenny to sort the real issue out (without the AM) but I would definitely re-connect the AM after Lenny is done with his magic. (edit: Lenniy replaced the coil and the issue went away - put the AM back on after to find out the difference)

End of report.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 08:39:17 am by AntVan »
I don't always drop my bike, but when I do, I prefer to drop her in front of a crowd

Offline Schlowy

« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2011, 07:23:51 am »
Safe riding Buddy ,I am  happy your are  :D

Offline TheBear

« Reply #59 on: April 16, 2011, 05:10:36 pm »

But I am willing to give it a go.

I have given it a go.  Read my post that started this thread.  The biggest advantage for me is the improved smoothness and throttle control.

Also check out this story.  My wife.  She rides, but doesn't understand, or care about the technicalities.  There is no way she could be influenced by her imagination, for instance.

This AM got a huge thumbs up from someone that doesn't know it exists this Saturday.  That must be the best recommendation any product can get.  It happened like this.

After fitting the AM to my bike I was real impressed.  Rushed home and explained all to my wife.  Of course, my wife being a female wife (I am old fashioned that way), she couldn't care two hoots and gave the obligatory uhms and aahs to show me she was listening to me and not watching 7de Laan on TV.

So, Saturday she did her thing in town and I did mine.  Afterward we met at the R21 South Engen 1-Stop for coffee and then we ducked home.  At this point I should mention that she rides a 2009  R1200GS, the same as mine.  Only two differences.  Colour and hers is running the standard exhaust.

Now, she has been wondering about handle bar raisers for some time, so we decided to lower my seat and she would ride my bike home to feel how it feels with handle bar raisers.  Off we went on our merry way, about 20 or so km's to our home.  Arrived there, parked the bikes and I asked:

Me: "So?  How does it feel?"

She: "Your bike is much smoother than mine!  Why?"
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 05:12:24 pm by AMZ »
#33 #BRADICAL!