Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: TPM ACCURACY 1200 GS  (Read 280 times)

Offline BRUTUS

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
TPM ACCURACY 1200 GS
« on: April 03, 2011, 08:03:39 pm »
Hi Dogs,

I own a 2010 GS 1200 and need some advice regarding the accuracy op my Tire Pressure Monitors on my my GS.

I noticed the front wheel indicates on the display 1.9 but when measured with two separate digital tyre gauges it actually reads 2.2 kpa. The rear wheel indicates 2.2 on the display but reads 2.5kpa on the two tyre gauges. The question is, what is an acceptable deviation and how should I resolve this?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Schlowy

• Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Leave Nothing To Chance
Re: TPM ACCURACY 1200 GS
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 08:10:33 pm »
hi
for TPMS to work accurate  you need to drive your bike and then measure ( tyre with working temp)
so for argument sake your tyre on a normal day will get to working Temp in 10 min legal speed  ;)
stop and then make your check ,from my point of view a 10% difference  is acceptable

Offline BRUTUS

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 08:15:04 pm »
Thanks for your input Schlowy, I have checked this and found that the tpm om my display seldom change after being ridden. It will only go up slightly on a very hot day. The difference I have found is within 10%.

It would be interesting to see what other GS owners experienced.

Offline gorman

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 10:19:20 am »
Hi Brutus,

I've also noticed a difference in readings between my own gauge, the pump gauges and the TPM readings. From what the bike's manual says, one should always adjust the pressures according to the TPM readings. So what they basically are saying, just trust the TPM 

What I usually do just before I'm about to adjust pressures at a garage us to check what the TPM reading is just before I stop, then take a baseline reading with the pump gauge and ignoring the actual reading on the pump gauge, adjust only for the difference where I'm aiming for on the TPM. I think it is what the manual also states. Does it make sense?

Offline TheBear

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 01:04:40 pm »
Hi Dogs,

I own a 2010 GS 1200 and need some advice regarding the accuracy op my Tire Pressure Monitors on my my GS.

I noticed the front wheel indicates on the display 1.9 but when measured with two separate digital tyre gauges it actually reads 2.2 kpa. The rear wheel indicates 2.2 on the display but reads 2.5kpa on the two tyre gauges. The question is, what is an acceptable deviation and how should I resolve this?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

The TPM reading on your GS is corrected by the computer for temperature.  As such, it will only agree with another pressure gauge if ambient temperature when you measure is also 20 degrees.

#33 #BRADICAL!