Stepping down from a GS1200A - New XR650L or Used XT / DR / KLR?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2phat

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Vespa (all models)
I am thinking  of putting my GS1200A up for sale and getting something smaller - Please comment - but keep the flaming to yerself :biggrin:
My reasons for buying the GSA originally:
1) I did a lot more tar touring then (18months ago). Usually 4-6 day trips
2) I was financially able to do so
3) I weighed almost 30 kg more than I do now and not much else carries that around (153kg)
4) I thought CHARLIE & EWAN were hero's :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
5) Ego

My reason for getting a small bike:
1) Most trips I do lately is probably 50-50 gravel and tar and I have not been doing much more than 350km a day
and I enjoy the one day rides a lot - cheap and dirty! I have not been on a trip longer than 3 days since September 2010
2) I need some cash to keep my business ticking over the dry times. It is a bit silly to have a 150 000 toy in the garage and paying salaries out of my credit cards.
3) I am a bit thinner and fitter and a more physical (can touch my toes  :biggrin:)
4) I found out that C&E are not hero's - Hero's saves lives!  :eek:
5) I do not want to have to take another bond on the house every time a put the bike down on the dirt.

So - I still weigh 125kg, but it is coming down by 1 kg a week (will slow down but I am not stopping until I am at most 100kg)
Do you guys and gurls think I am crazy to give up the UBER tank for a small bike?