HONDA XL500 Owners corner( s & R )

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gerard

Teelhond
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Bike
Triumph 900 Scrambler
Rooikat mentioned to me that he recalls there being a thread for these bikes , but its buried so deep we cant find it. So, lets try again.

Some may know I'm a bit of an Airhead fan, but while chatting to Rooikat, he set me off on a tangent and rekindled a dream I've had for many years. To own a XL500. Which of us did not at some point dream of having a thumper ? Timing is everything and this week I got one.

This is it. I believe a 1982 XL500R.
9hrjh4.jpg

Until last year I had never actually ridden a thumper, although I knew I always wanted one. I was offered the chance to fetch the bike in Cape Town for a fellow dog in PE who had bought it. During the two day, 1200km, ride back I was totally smitten. I had to have this bike and got a promise that if it was ever to be sold I would get first option. On Tuesday I got the call and 30 seconds later it was mine.

Thanks J-dog.

I dont know much about the mechanics of the bike and need to learn a lot. I know I can get a lot of info from a couple of other threads, but it would be nice to have a dedicated one. Overall, the bike is 29 years old, but in good nick. There are one or two things on the enjin to attend to, but it still goes like the clappers.

Lets chat about our bikes.