KAK SLEG BAD Customer Service from IRON HORSE & IUM INSURANCE

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JustBendIt

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 690 Adventure
The “Black & White” Facts of the Case
On Wednesday 13/4/2011 I was involved in an MVA. I was riding my brother-in-law’s (BIL) bike when a senior citizen (driving a car) pulled out in front of me and I collided with him. Both vehicles have extensive damage – the bike is a write-off IMO.

The police accident report shows exactly what happened. It was the old man’s fault - he admitted guilt and accepted blame at the scene.

The bike is comprehensively insured with IRON HORSE motorcycle insurance in BIL’s name. I am 33 years old and have a full unendorsed driver’s license for cars and bikes (codes A & EB). The accident happened at 15h50 and there was no alcohol or drugs in either of the drivers.

IRON HORSE has rejected the claim.

Their reason: I am not a named rider on the policy.

The “Grey” Human side of the Case
I have insured many bikes with IRON HORSE over the past few years and have referred many “biker” friends & associates to them. I have always had good service when adding / deleting bikes from my policy. I have never claimed for anything before this, not even for cosmetic damage when I have dropped my bikes off road or when I lay my 1150GS down in the rain one day and slid about 20 m on the road.  

The bike involved in the MVA (BMW Dakar) was previously mine and insured with them before I sold it to BIL who re-insured it with them in his own name.

I have a full license and have been riding for a long time. I am not a “laaitie” on a learner’s.

The BIL and I could have lied and said he was riding it at the time. I could have shown the cop his license (which was taped under the seat) and nobody would ever had known – we both look very similar and I doubt the cop would have told us apart from the small pic on a license. I did the RIGHT THING and said it was me.

How do I feel about this?
BIL and I have been screwed.

We were never told about the “named rider” bit when taking out the policies. All my other vehicle insurances cover anybody with a license. Additions / Deletions were done over the phone or by e-mail – they accepted our business (and MONEY) and we blindly accepted their cover.

Honesty is Poverty. In SA you need to lie, cheat and steal to get anything.
Crime and fraud does pay.

IRON HORSE could “man up” and do the right thing. They could judge this case on its merits. They have accepted over R20 000 in monthly premiums for this bike while BIL and I have owned it. The value of the bike is only R45 000.

The only thing I can do now is tell EVERYONE I know about IRON HORSE.

I know all insurance companies will try and look for every possible way of not “paying out”.
I know I was not a “named rider”. I know they have rejected the claim because of this. I have a really bitter taste in my mouth.

I will post all my correspondence with them a bit later.

Status
Not open for further replies.