Family Karoo weekend (Video added)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MellowJo

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
When it became clear that a trip to Lesotho had to wait, we decided to have a Family Karoo weekend over the Easter weekend.

The plan was to do a figure 8 through Sutherland, Prince Albert, Swartbergpass, De Rust, Klaarstroom. From Klaarstroom we would go back to Prince Albert, Swartbergpass, Gamkaskloof (“Die Hel”), Calitzdorp and sleep over at Warmwaterberg before returning home.
The party was to be myself on the 1150 GS, Archangel on his 950 (rebuild), with my wife and daughter in the Audi with the camping gear.

Archangel got back his bike after an engine rebuild, a week before the weekend. Two days before the weekend, the bike did not want to start, but it turned out to be a loose battery contact. I had a set of recently reconditioned shocks from Martin P to test out in the wild, so ….

Day 1 : Melkbos to Sutherland, Verlatenkloof Camp Site via Ouberg Pass (410km)

So on Easter Friday morning in perfect weather we set off aiming at Wellington and Bainskloof pass. After a pleasant drive over the pass and the traverse of Michell’s pass we had breakfast in Ceres.

001Bainskloof.jpg

From Ceres we raced up Gydo Pass towards Op-die-Berg where we turned towards the Cederberg and Katbakkies Pass. At last we hit the first serious gravel. In Katbakkies Pass we came to this rolled Golf, highlighting the dangers of gravel. Still we liked jumping the bumps and took some video. (link? Archangel is busy editing some video footage) ADDED at the end of the report.

005Golf.jpg

We eventually turned North on the R355 until we turned East towards the Tankwa Karoo National Park. At the turnoff we saw a family with a bunch of quads and buggies. I see they start them young.

006Quadfamily.jpg

Just before entering the Park we turned South on the Ouberg Pass road towards Sutherland. The area sometimes resembled a Martian landscape and the road was washed away in several places.

007Nohands.jpg

008KTM.jpg

The road became a steep Jeep track climbing windingly skywards. Climbing out this road we had to pass a few 4x4’s and this became a pattern over the weekend, every Tom, Dick and Hillbilly was on the roads.

010Ouberg.jpg

Halfway up the pass, we stopped for lunch and to admire the spectacular views.

014Lunch.jpg

015Lunch.jpg

From the top of the pass it was another 50kms to Sutherland. The women wanted a few things for supper but everything in Sutherland was closed. Luckily the garage owner was at hand to fill up a string of vehicles looking for fuel. After filling up, we did the last 25 ks to the Verlatenkloof 4x4 camp site. The first night was to be minimalistic camping.

020Camp.jpg

After pitching camp, we had nice warm showers (donkey heated) and a braai in the boma/shelter while admiring the stars.

Day 2: Sutherland, Merweville, Prince Albert, Swartberg Pass, De Rust, Klaarstroom (400km)

After a quick morning coffee we tracked back 10kms towards Sutherland on the R354 till we got to the turnoff East towards Merweville. At the turnoff, I noticed a metal dics falling from the Audi engine bay into the road. I picked this up but could not figure out where this part originated. We were not planning to let this derail our plans and we just carried on towards Merweville. The road was similar in condition to the previous day with many ruts caused by flooding, crossing the road.

025WashedRoad.jpg

After about 60 kms of slowly descending from the Sutherland highlands (and opening and closing many gates), we got to a magic pass (don’t know the name EDIT Rammelkop pass, tx ChrisL). From here we could see right across the plain to the Swartberg range in the distance where we were heading later in the day.

030MPass.jpg

The Audi crew was not holding back due to lost engine parts !!!

035AudiSplash.jpg

Merweville architecture.

040MerweVilla.jpg

At Merweville we figured out that the mysterious part was a suspension subframe spacer, not 100% critical. Anyway from Merweville we travelled South, crossed the N1 at Prince Albert Road and headed for Prince Albert. After a fuel and food stop at Prince Albert we headed into the spectacular Swartberg Pass.
We stopped at Eerste Water for lunch while admiring the red rock formations around us.

045Lunch.jpg

050Rocks.jpg

Then we started the climb, past many BMWs and 4x4s. Only later did we learn that the BMW squad had a weekend at Oudshoorn on the same weekend. Both I and Archie have been here before, but the wife and daughter were amazed by the pass. From above the vehicles look like ants crawling up the snakelike ribbon.

050ArchieattheTop.jpg

From the Cango Caves we turned East again on the “Oude Muragie” road towards de Rust. From De Rust we went North on the R62 through the stunning Meiringspoort pass until we came to Klaarstroom where we were booked at the B&B. We were just unpacked when two couples from Richard's Bay pulled in on their two BMW RTs.

055Klaarstroom.jpg

After a dip in the pool, we swopped biking stories till dinner.

Day 3 to come soon.