Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: NAMIBIA (AS NEVER SEEN BEFORE) - ON THE ROAD AGAIN (MAPS NOW ATTACHED)  (Read 21389 times)

Offline YoungGSer

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Ride the WORLD
Re: NAMIBIA (AS NEVER SEEN BEFORE) - ON THE ROAD AGAIN (MAPS NOW ATTACHED)
« Reply #260 on: November 08, 2012, 01:55:22 pm »
Loved reading your RR. Heading up there in 4 days and doing the same route as you to the falls.
The Original Barstool Prophet

R1200 GS Adventure 2017

Offline Vis Arend

• It's not how fast you start, it's how long you endure.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XR650L
« Reply #261 on: November 08, 2012, 03:39:07 pm »
Loved reading your RR. Heading up there in 4 days and doing the same route as you to the falls.

Lucky guy, travel safe and enjoy.  Nam is one of a kind, take your time and plenty of water this time of the year.   :deal:
We will be waiting for your RR.   
No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the the couch
Honda XL125  -  Sold,    Honda XR200R  -  Sold,     Yamaha TT500  -  Sold,     Honda Transalp700  -  Sold,       Yamaha S10 Fast Blue  -  Sold,   Yamaha S10 Slow White  -  Sold,   Honda CRF250 Rally - To be Sold, XR650L..

Offline Offshore

« Reply #262 on: November 08, 2012, 03:53:54 pm »
Nice RR Visarend, thank you for sharing. My Hat off to for your Wife.

Offline katana

• One day when I grow up, I want to be a
  • Sheer Smiling Pleasure
« Reply #263 on: November 08, 2012, 10:41:02 pm »
Hoe verlang my hart nou na die oop pad.  Nam was weer my mission vir hierdie jaar-eind, maar ek sal maar moet wag tot volgende jaar  :(
"The only man that has to remember anything, is the man who tells a lie" Mark Twain

Offline Vis Arend

• Forum Whore
« Reply #264 on: November 09, 2012, 05:52:02 am »

:thumleft:

Hoe verlang my hart nou na die oop pad.  Nam was weer my mission vir hierdie jaar-eind, maar ek sal maar moet wag tot volgende jaar  :(

My planne was ook lelik in die wiele gery.   ???  Maar ek werk reeds aan 'n roete, dis net die datum en tyd wat moet bymekaar moet kom.   ;D
Honda XL125  -  Sold,    Honda XR200R  -  Sold,     Yamaha TT500  -  Sold,     Honda Transalp700  -  Sold,       Yamaha S10 Fast Blue  -  Sold,   Yamaha S10 Slow White  -  Sold,   Honda CRF250 Rally - To be Sold, XR650L..

Offline katana

• One day when I grow up, I want to be a
  • Sheer Smiling Pleasure
« Reply #265 on: November 09, 2012, 09:41:22 am »

My planne was ook lelik in die wiele gery.   ???  Maar ek werk reeds aan 'n roete, dis net die datum en tyd wat moet bymekaar moet kom.   ;D

:thumleft: :thumleft:
"The only man that has to remember anything, is the man who tells a lie" Mark Twain

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #266 on: November 09, 2012, 12:21:42 pm »
Brilliant RR of a fantastic trip.  Thank you Vis Arend.  I can't tell you how it inspired me.  I worked in Nam in the early 70's and later spent a bit of time in Ovamboland.  Now I just want to go back.
Well done wrestling that huge bike through the sand and mud.  It could not have been easy!

Offline Vis Arend

• Forum Whore
« Reply #267 on: November 09, 2012, 12:31:56 pm »
Brilliant RR of a fantastic trip.  Thank you Vis Arend.  I can't tell you how it inspired me.  I worked in Nam in the early 70's and later spent a bit of time in Ovamboland.  Now I just want to go back.
Well done wrestling that huge bike through the sand and mud.  It could not have been easy!
We lived there since 1970, I started work in 81 and left in 86, I have never been the same since.   :biggrin:

Offline Dougf

• Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
Re: NAMIBIA (AS NEVER SEEN BEFORE) - ON THE ROAD AGAIN
« Reply #268 on: September 06, 2013, 12:21:23 pm »
A spectacular RR and testament for man,woman and Yami. :thumleft:

If anybody (like myself) had doubts about the durability of the ST1200 this report will put all at ease and instill a lot of confidence.I was wary of the new ST as there is very little RRs with them,this changes a lot of my suspicions.

I find the bridge piece on the new heides is troubling to me also in the loose stuff,cornering is fine but straight up a bit loose,the new heide tyre for the KTMs has a small cut out which helps a bit in the slippery stuff.

Thanks for an awesome report and hats off to Mrs vis arend :thumleft: :thumleft:

Offline Dougf

• Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #269 on: September 06, 2013, 12:30:27 pm »
A spectacular RR and testament for man,woman and Yami. :thumleft:

If anybody (like myself) had doubts about the durability of the ST1200 this report will put all at ease and instill a lot of confidence.I was wary of the new ST as there is very little RRs with them,this changes a lot of my suspicions.

I find the bridge piece on the new heides is troubling to me also in the loose stuff,cornering is fine but straight up a bit loose,the new heide tyre for the KTMs has a small cut out which helps a bit in the slippery stuff.

Thanks for an awesome report and hats off to Mrs vis arend :thumleft: :thumleft:

Hi

I'm a newbie to this site, but I feel I really want to make a comment on your comment about the durability of the Super 10... It's Japanese!  Doubting it's durability is like wondering if the Toyota Land Cruiser will fail to go where the X5 goes.  Not likely.  I ride a Jap bike - the Honda TransAlp, but my dream bike is the Super 10... even now that the water cooled GS is out.  That's fantastic bike, but I wonder about it's durability on dirt.

Offline cheesy

« Reply #270 on: September 09, 2013, 08:48:38 pm »
Once again what a magic R R. You mentioned the cold on the way home, use newspaper inside the jackets, 3 layers around the arms/legs It's a mission I know but the rewards are worth it. Flat sheets inside the jacket for the front. Newspaper is a wonderful  barrier, it works unbelievably well. :)
Bum in the saddle, always.

Offline ALLEN I

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
« Reply #271 on: September 12, 2013, 11:22:20 pm »
no Des a lotta years. always on the Raleigh's with his dog. Des if u read this RR come on line and say hello (Allen) (intruders mcc) nice to c my old pel is still out there doing his thing
Biking since the age of 11 nothing beats the freedom when u out there on u baby. Been doing it over 40 years now  (that's life)
Born a Biker, Live like a Biker, Die a Biker

Offline ALLEN I

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
« Reply #272 on: September 13, 2013, 12:03:34 am »
what an interesting trip great RR. only done Nam in the winter month thinking of doing it now in the summer too. looks challenging .great photos. excellent piece. good one
Biking since the age of 11 nothing beats the freedom when u out there on u baby. Been doing it over 40 years now  (that's life)
Born a Biker, Live like a Biker, Die a Biker

Offline Johnnie Bok

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Caledonner
« Reply #273 on: October 21, 2013, 06:21:32 pm »
Bliksem wat 'n great RR!!!!!!
Hard work always beats talent, unless talent works.