KTM 625 SXC Modification

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PHJ

Pack Dog
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
I know that there is not many 625's but to those that have the bike and want to modify here is my experience so far. I bought a 2nd hand 625 recently and have started working on the bike. The 625 is basically a 640 with a more dirt bike look. It has the pumper carb some high flow head and a bit more suspension travel. Overall the bike is lighter. On the down side it has a 9l tank which is really to small. The rear wheel does not have a cush hub and I feel for tar work with grippier tyres this will have an negative effect on the chain, sprockets and gearbox. In my research many many 625 suffered broken rear wheel hub as a result. Oh and no side stand. Centre stands are great when you want to work on the bike but not so easy to live with. I bumped into a old 640 I think 2000 model that they are parting out so got a tank + radiator bracing, cush hub, seat and sidestand for very little money. To fit the tank one needs the radiator bracing. The tank fit straight on but the SXC seat does not work. Also the 2000 model seat fits sort of but the sub frames are different and i need a 2003 640 Adv seat. Both petcocks leaked but with a bit of fiddling and using the one of the small SXC tank got it sorted out. While I was at it I also changed the sprockets and chain which was shot. I have taken it for a ride and was worried that the big tank will affect the balance. I put +- 15l in and found that it carries that fuel much lower than the small tank which means it is actually less top heavy. As you can see on the foto the tank is scratched and I will paint it someday. The purple colour sort off grew on me maybe with a orange/ white KTM decal.  I would like to hear what you guys think what colour will work?

Attachments

• DSC01084small.jpg
    DSC01084small.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 301