The Road to Weltevreden

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Steady

I have always wondered why there are names to places that don't seem to actually exist. Weltevreden is one such place, if it is where it should be I never found it. But let me start at the beginning.

On Friday I got an email from mikedabike at Lyndhurst inviting me on the monthly Sunday ride, a tar road ride to Malaga hotel on the N4 to Nelspruit. Not really my scene but one of the reasons I bought my GSA at Lyndhurst is that after the sales talk from the dealer where I got my Dakar about group rides and bla, bla, bla, I have never heard from them. Ever. So I thought it would be good manners to go along as I was always being invited.

Started at Lyndhurst BMW at seven and hooked up with FortyZA. Quite fresh that early and we gassed it to the Shell Ultra city for coffee and then on to Malaga. Great breakfast and only R60. Obviously they were expecting us and the service was good, thanks to mikedabike and co at Lyndhurst, I enjoyed the ride. Anyway, after the excitement of the N4 I decided to use the rest of the day to ride a road I have heard about for many years but have never been on. The road to Weltevreden, which ultimately ends in Lydenburg. It T's off the Schoemanskloof road just after Old Joe's.

Let me just say at this stage, FortyZA, my dining companion amongst a hoard of lifestylers had actually foul hooked himself an invite to join the roadies on a run to Sabie and showed me the Italian flag on my invite to the dust. Very nice FortyZA but I think there were alternative distractions on the Sabie group's bike's. :oops:

Crossing the Crocodile River, yes there are croc's in the river but also hippos. :shock:
BMWbreakfastrun06052007009.jpg
[/img]

My kind of road.
BMWbreakfastrun06052007012.jpg
[/img]

Onwards and upwards, never found Weltevreden, but did end up in Lydenburg which is where I wanted to be eventually. FortyZA was showing off his GPS earlier and I may have to relent and get one as I did get a bit lost, but not for long. Anyway a great road to get lost on.
BMWbreakfastrun06052007011.jpg

[/img]
BMWbreakfastrun06052007010.jpg

BMWbreakfastrun06052007013.jpg

[/img]
BMWbreakfastrun06052007015.jpg

BMWbreakfastrun06052007016.jpg

Into Lydenburg for gas and then onto Rossenekal to ride the tar road pass of De Berg Pass also listed as Jaap-se-Hoogte in some map books. Whatever it's called it's a great pass, much better than the pic's I did get.

[/img]
BMWbreakfastrun06052007018-1.jpg

On to Stoffburg and another road to a place that I failed to find, Selonsrivier. But it was a nice road and by the end of it I was ready to head home.

BMWbreakfastrun06052007022.jpg

Sorry about the exposure, not sure what happend, but I got it sorted.

[/img]
BMWbreakfastrun06052007023.jpg

Forty, I hope the roadies showed you a good time, you missed a great ride, but did spare me the dust. :D All in a great day with just enough time to wash the bike, ready for a run to the coast this week-end for a boy's thrash at the beach. What a life. :D