SA Trip by Leo & drinking mates with a riding problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leo

Grey Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS HP2
Most SA citizens will agree that our government is doing a lot of things wrong, but have to agree that the committee that decides on the annual public holidays and on which dates& days they should fall have certainly got their act together. I am sure I’m not the only one who took 3 days leave to score 11 days in total – wonderful if you’re working for a boss, but not so great when you own your own business. Well my boss has been giving me serious trouble for taking my annual leave in “advance” for our annual long trip somewhere abroad, so after last year’ strip to Angola he assured me – no more leave in advance, you take them as you earn them every month, or accumulate them and then take long leave. So needless to say our plans of a long trip to some exotic place up in Africa flew out the door for 2011. However the 11 days one could have was sufficient to do a local trip and hence the planning started. After we had determined who was going and who was staying, we set about drawing up the pack list of who was to carry what, what should go along, etc and soon all fell into place like a well-oiled gearbox.

The Drinking Mates with a Riding Problem. FLTR Antonie, Excalibur, Jean, Werner, Leo, Basil en Shaun
100.jpg

We left Gauteng on Friday morning, 22 Aril with our destination for the day the Red Sands Lodge just west of Kuruman. As will all other trips the first day everybody is eager, so progress was excellent and by mid-afternoon we had replenished our meat supply, coke and ice, etc in Kuruman and headed for Red Sands. Some cloud cover towards the west prompted me to suggest we sleep under the massive thatched structure they have on the premises and we set about talking nonsense and doing the braai thing. Not long after we had eaten the drops started falling and it soon turned into a massive downpour. We sat snugly and dry in our tents watching the rest of the packed campsite running about, hitting in tent pens, closing zips and all those things one generally neglect when camping in fine weather.

Camping in the best spot in Red Sands when it rains
101_.jpg

Eat here next time you pass Sannieshof – best Tramezinni’s in NW Province
102_.jpg

Saturday morning we rose to a cloudy day, but nothing could dampen our spirits so we packed and set our sails for the Verneukpan. Just outside Kathu I had an altercation with a damn Guinea fowl which left me covered in blood, guts and shit.

Not nice on day 2 of an 11 day trip
200_.jpg

Not exactly what one would want on the second day of an eleven day biking trip where you had to wear the same clothes every day? I had to replace a lens or two and we altered our route via Upington so I could visit the BMW dealer and fix the broken parts. Lots of Vaseline, mildly applied saw us heading for Keimoes where I had ordered 3 X “Flip se Ribs”, a deboned lamb rib, marinated and vacuum sealed to perfection by the Karoo Vleis mark. These we were going to braai on the Verneukpan, standing them upright as it is the best way to braai a lamb rib.

Keimoes famous watermill
201_.jpg

If you’ve never been to the Verneukpan, put it on your bucket list. Wide open spaces where one could let loose with all the horsepower a HP2 could muster.  I had pre-paid the camping so there was no need to report at reception and we headed north to where the sign indicated – campsite.

Nothern Cape Splendour
214_.jpg

Verneukpan
203_.jpg

Enroute we ran into him and settled the bill for all the extra amenities – firewood, coke & ice.  The idea was to sleep somewhere in the middle of the pan, but the area around the brass bell was already occupied with two families with kids, so we opted to stay away from there. As we were debating where to sleep, a mild breeze started to blow, and as I was in no mood to run after the coals with the grid in my hand we opted to braai in the boma which was made of Muisbos with a tin roof on the one side.

Groupie on Verneukpan
204_.jpg

Isn’t this a beaut
215_.jpg

Trouble
205_.jpg

217_.jpg

At least the bikes were dry
218_.jpg

Doing the rib thing
211_.jpg

No sooner had we started the fire when a threatening storm moved in. Needless to say, the heavens opened up and the water came down, promising us a feast the next day to get out. The two families who camped near the bell, soon pulled in, Venter trailer in tow with the wheels clogging from the mud, refusing to turn and the 4X2 pickup hardly able to move forward. Later that evening the rain subsided, but walking around was a mess – you became taller with every step as the turf mud stuck to your boots like boerewors to a braai rooster. We all slept under the roof, packed in like sardines while the two families slept upright in the bakkies.  The caravan’s was occupied by some well-known actress and her family. At least we had a feast with the ribs and our wheel hubs were well and truly loosed so the B&C flowed like rain and our jests were adjusted to handle the extra volume. 

Famous people
222_.jpg

How to sleep on the Verneukpan after it rained
223_.jpg

210_.jpg

………and how not too

208_.jpg

224_.jpg

Sunday morning we got started while Basil and Antonie complained about how bad they had slept. Antonie slept in his riding gear on 3 chairs while Basil slept on a 6 foot folding table under my poncho. Details are a bit vague as to why they opted to do this. Yes space was at a premium, but I’m sure we could have fitted them in somewhere.
I suggested to the guys on the 1200’s to remove their front mudguards while we were still stationery, but as it turned out one had to remove the front wheel to do that, so that was not an option.  We would have to get our hand dirty to get the mud out from under the front mudguard.

Verneukpan shuffle
220_.jpg

221_.jpg

Got my pic with the clock
219_.jpg

We set off at 7 am, Shaun and I heading for the brass bell as we both dearly wanted a photo, while the rest headed out towards the edge of the pan, ready to start the Verneukpan Shuffle. Within 10 meters the mud claimed its first victim. This was the first of many. We had to cover the 5 km back to the road and another 3 km’s to get to the edge – no need to cover the extra 10 km’s to the reception office as we had already settled our bill. Within walking distance from the bell Shaun’s 1150 dug into some serious mud which kept us busy for quite a while pulling the pig out of the slippery stuff. Eventually we got it out and Shaun set about removing all the mud from all the gaps and holes where it had penetrated while I commuted between the two groups to check on the progress. The HP was in its element although I had a few moments when the rear overtook the front, but I always managed to remain upright.
By 11 am the smokers were lighting a cigarette and we digested the events of the past 4 hours.  We were literally covered in mud but it was hilarious none the less. From here we headed west as our goal for the day was to ride the longest straight section of dirt road in SA (± 58km’s) on the R358 between Klipkrans and Heuningnes. Fuel was going to be a challenge so we had filled all the bikes to the brim in Kenhardt and we set about achieving our goal. First the HP, then Jean’s 800 and lastly Excalibur’s R1200GS had to be replenished from the 4 petrol bunkers and eventually we got to the point where all the bikes were so low on fuel we had to take things easy.

Excalibur relaxing by the roadside
300_.jpg

They don’t come much straighter than this
304_.jpg

Kalkrand Splendour
302_.jpg

303_.jpg

…with its own version of Table Mountain
301_.jpg

I was riding a magnificent section of dirt road (on my bucket list) on one of the most powerful DS bikes and had to paddle along at a measly 80km/h.  Hell it was frustrating. Eventually the 800 ran dry and we could not syphon any more fuel from the other bikes so we had to tow Jean into Kliprand. Here we filled the bikes till the pump ran dry with Jean and Shaun each getting 10litres only. We had no option but to head for Bitterfontein as this was on the N7 and was sure to have fuel. With a full tank and only 70 km’s to cover to Bitterfontein I could put the HP through it passes – man heaven on earth. After filling all the bikes to the brim we headed for Strandfontein. 
In retrospect we should have turned north to Pofadder (± 80 km detour), refuelled and then tackled the longest section, but hey, not all plans can be without fault.
Strandfontein campsite was packed with people and we soon settled down on something chilly as well as biltong - the !@#$%^ rain was eminent and we were in no mood to braai in the rain yet again. Friendly fellow holiday goers gave us coke and ice as the local shop was already closed so we feasted on what we had.

Camping in Strandfontein
4002_.jpg

After yet another downpour through the night and the next morning the sky suddenly opened up and we prepared breakfast and packed hoping the rain has finally subsided.