Rallye Raid – Wartrail 2011

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Splash

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 690 Enduro
Mike Glover did it again with the help of his MMW (Make Mike Wealthy) team. Chris Isted and the Barkly East / Wartrail community welcomed us with warmth and hospitality allowing us the pleasure to experiencing some of the beauty of this part of the country.

Friday was a rush from work travelling down. Trailered my bike and eventually arrived at 11:00pm. No time to party, erected my tent and asleep in no time except to wake up frozen to the bone. Put more clothes on and fell asleep again. Morning was a frosty affair - everything covered in a layer of white ice.

Breakfast was hot bacon and eggs with lots of steaming coffee. All too soon on my bike on a trail up into the mountains on two track roads - almost reaching heaven - the landscape breathtaking. One needed to take care though as flat rock faces were covered by slippery ice. Down a stunning pass to our lunch stop – Rhodes – to refuel ourselves and our bikes.

The afternoon’s entertainment was a Mike special. First we needed to wade through a deep fast running river and if one survived that a muddy bank just adding another challenge. The camaraderie amongst the riders was great and everyone helped bikes through. The next challenge was a mountain pass to a cave. Loose and slippery rocks made for a physical and demanding exercise of manhandling bikes. Enjoyed the joy and celebrated the pleasure of each rider as they reached the top. At the cave, another rocky section awaited which took its toll on the now weary riders, many dropping bikes out of pure exhaustion. Once on top, we enjoyed the freedom of riding grassy hillsides. Still managed to take a tumble hitting a rocky ledge.

Night-time we socialize and enjoy the entertainment of a live musician. Used an old barn which was warm and made a great party venue.

Morning arrived rather too soon and back into the mountains. A navigational error resulted in me missing my turnoff and ending up in Barkly East. Joined the track again but was way ahead of the rest of the riders. Rode a technical section over a mountain with some other ‘lost’ riders. They went off looking for a technical section which I left them to find. Went back to my earlier missed turnoff and followed that track. Unfortunately, was too late and saw no other riders - still enjoyed a scenic ride along the Kraai river.

The next section was difficult to find and had to ask for directions. Not too many riders had passed through this way based on the lack of tyre tracks. The route went up into the mountains into a gorgeous valley. Went through different cattle camps with gates which had to be opened and closed each time. Had a packed lunch - a perfect place to picnic with stunning scenery.

Once back, missed most of the afternoon’s rodeo. Started the tester track and soon realised it was designed for plastic bikes. Was helped up a riverbank by a kind spectator who saw I was in a difficult spot.

Night was the party of all parties with burnouts on the bar and indoor bike racing around tables. Fun was definitely had by all.

Morning once again arrived too soon and time to leave with sadness from an amazing adventure.

Thanks Mike and your team on an immeasurable experience – I am the one wealthier for it!

Pictures:
IMG_7707.jpg

WarTrail022.jpg

WarTrail026.jpg

WarTrail030.jpg

WarTrail040.jpg

WarTrail050.jpg

WarTrail055.jpg

WarTrail060.jpg

WarTrail324.jpg

WarTrail919.jpg

WarTrail924.jpg