Can somebody build us a damn dual purpose bike?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michnus

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS HP2
There's been ramblings about what bike a person must ride and what not, that's not the intention of this thread. The current offerings on the market is what pisses me off.

And looking forward it seems FUN d/p bikes are going to get less and less, spoke to a German in Addis and he told me in Germany most bikes KTM's BMW's Ten's whatever never sees dirt, and there's where the future is going. The builders of these bikes base it on their counrties own needs. Same as what I predicted might happen to KTM990 range. It's going to stop or die out..

Then on this trip I realised that to find a good quality bike that can run 200000km problem free is a pipe dream. Well there's old 1100GS's and R80's and such stuff but were never good as FUN bikes. I don't mean as in enduro play, but if you on a trip and loaded and just want to play a little bit over a nice road the suspension must be able to keep up. And when home not loaded be able to play on some nice dirt. Well there's only the KTM950/990, but the rest of that bike lacks. Engine not that hot, pertol pump problems and it's own nonsense to deal with and you will be luckily if you see 200000km from that engine.
Then there's the 1200BMW motor, excellent it's oil cooled and no fucking waterpump shit to deal with, and they can run to 200000km easy...motor wise, FD needs attention, but it is shit if wanna play a bit, suspension is, well in plain Afrikaans tos!

Then the current 800GS...ooo  moer, had two okes in Afrika stopped in their tracks with fuel pump failures and the suspension, well, on the KLR side of things. Talking of which the current 650 line up is not something to have orgasm about. The 660 Ten is heavy and suspension on the kakkerig side engine is good and from the current bunch the best.
690 KTM also dropped poor guy in Uganda and had to fly in parts from USA. Moer expensive and then to add d/p things.
What's left the Honda...........ag liewe donner los maar.

XR's a good choice but parts will become a problem and still need to spend money on it.

Now, how and why can't a small setup source a reliable motor and build frame/chassis with shit hot suspension and a decent alternator or power source to drive air pumps and stuff, flickers that won't break, mirrors that can fold out the way. Can take a pillion and a good rear rack option for luggage that sit at the correct place on a bike to help with weight distribution and so on.

Then for a bigger unit use the 1200 engine but something like the HP2 suspension setup ( still kak, but you get the point) and make it light weight and can carry a pillion.

And add damn tubeless rims ffs!

Oil cooled, tubeless tyres, FI, decent suspension,proper chassis and at a decent price, is that too much to ask?

You can build a HPN bike but at that cost, not a moer. What is your thoughts or am I missing something?

It's all good and well, but we still need to spend money to convert the current offerings to what we want.
I bought a Ohlins for the one Dakar, R8000-00 fok! Toyota landcruiser VX superdooper springs and OME suspension for 4 wheels do not cost that.