Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: What irritates you most on a trip?...... And what do you enjoy most?  (Read 4263 times)

Offline Sir Rat

• So it begins.
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XR650R
  • Sir Sir Sir
Re: What irritates you most on a trip?
« Reply #100 on: May 06, 2011, 01:49:53 pm »
I don't like lady riders that on a 4 day or longer trip doesn't want to help out there riding buddies. Really gets me in the......   :peepwall:

Lady's don't all jump to ride with me now. Terms and conditions apply!!

Offline laurika

• hoessenaam van hydrabad...
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • helmet hair is very cool....everyone says so
« Reply #101 on: May 06, 2011, 01:52:14 pm »
I don't like lady riders that on a 4 day or longer trip doesn't want to help out there riding buddies. Really gets me in the......   :peepwall:

terms and conditions apply??? pray tell, give us a list of female duties.... :D

"There is no happiness for him who does not travel...Therefore, wander... The fortune of him who is sitting sits, it rises when he rises, it sleeps when he sleeps, it moves when he moves... Therefore, wander!"...The Rig Veda - 800 - 600 BC..

bmw F650GS/ XT 660 R

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #102 on: May 06, 2011, 02:03:07 pm »
I ride mostly alone so cant really comment.

But I do a lot of 4x4 trips with some good mates - who are all really good friends, whom I can and do trust with my life, but after a few days out in the middle of nowhere a lot of the these sorts of issues mentioned above start to rankle - IF YOU LET THEM.  

The trick is to take a deep breath and realise we are all different and for every single thing that makes someone excellent company, there are other things that could make you want to throttle them.  And the same is true for yourself.

Patience and tolerance and looking at the big picture, not focusing on the little irritations is what is required.

But to start with you need to choose your travel partners carefully.

My pet hates are:

The sudden charge for home on the last day by some people  - surely the point of getting away is to relax, enjoy yourself and unwind, that includes the last day, right up to the time I arrive back at home  as far as I am concerned!  

Excessive tidiness around the camp where the "correct place" for my stuff gets decided (without any communications on the subject) by others who then "tidy" that stuff away when I put it down sometimes never to be seen again.  Sometimes stuff gets "tidied" in seconds as you unpack the car and are still pitching your tent!!  I'm a bit bitter about this point you may notice  :P  
Husqvarna '09 610TE - Great Bike!

I just finished a SciFi novel Extinction: Task Team, download the preview.

Offline Jacko

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Hildebrand & Wolfmuller (all models)
  • "Don't be a hater, yo." Riaan Cruywagen
« Reply #103 on: May 06, 2011, 02:10:57 pm »
Hmmm, this can open a can of worms.

Let me rather say what I do like:

1. Guys of similar riding skill. I'm not into teaching others and I ride to enjoy, not to play instructor.
2. Riders of same approach to safety. While I like to jaag now and then I think people can do stupid things in remote areas. That's not only dumb, but it can spoil it for everyone.
3. Decisive people. Gawd, I hate ditherers. What are we going to eat/drink/do? "Hmmm, ehh, ooh..."
4. People who prepare for a trip, ie bother to have basic tools for their own bikes. "Don't ride yet! I still need to adjust my shocks... erm do I do that?"
5. Guys who have a sense of humour. Some people are funny online, but in person they're just... weird.  :biggrin:
6. Small groups. I don't have the personality profile to hang back in a big group and constantly wait for a back-up vehicle. Or stop with 12 other guys to give advice to fix a puncture.
7. People taking charge and responsibility for making things happen. I have no problem working out the route, arranging accommodation, but sometimes you get the idea that people couldn't really be bothered where we're going or what we're going to do. It's lekker if everyone takes responsibility for something.
8. People who like to chat. I've had some nice, hopefully meaningful conversations over the years with a few lekker guys on this forum. I've learnt so much from such a wide variety of guys, from airline pilots and banking types to farmers and a few dodgy types.  :biggrin:
9. Riding alone. A former boss (and a very wise man) once told me I was, in essence, a lone wolf. At the time I disagreed. I now know that he was probably more right than wrong. I enjoy my own company and can easily sit alone, looking at a fire, sipping wine and thinking about stuff. But I can do groups if I try! I promise...

Ultimately it's like life itself. We get along with some better than with others. This is neither good, nor bad.

Nobody's perfect. I might have peeved one or two okes off, but I've had the same done to me. In the process I've seen a few incredible places.  :thumleft:
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 02:13:31 pm by Jacko »
"The test of a man is not the forum nor the field; not the marketplace nor the amen corner, but at his own fireside. There he lays aside his mask, and you may judge whether he be imp or angel, king or cur, hero or humbug." -  William Cowper Brann

Offline Sir Rat

• So it begins.
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XR650R
  • Sir Sir Sir
« Reply #104 on: May 06, 2011, 02:11:13 pm »

terms and conditions apply??? pray tell, give us a list of female duties.... :D

::)

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R100GS / Kalahari
  • Some multi-task. I multi-slack.
What irritates you most on a trip?
« Reply #105 on: May 06, 2011, 02:14:51 pm »
Rules - that irritates me on trips.

If you want to leave early or at 7 please feel free to go, I will go when I am ready. If you are not ready I will probably wait as I could not care to get to the next point asap.

If you want to get there first, woosh by please but don't get upset if I stop for the 10th time in 5 kays to take some more pics and you were waiting for me :biggrin:

I had very little problems if any truth be told riding with friends in the past. We all got along on the basis that even though we riding together we can still enjoy our trip in our own way. Once you get past the fact that everyone experience things differently group trips are great. Find the control freak in the group and tell them the trip is cancelled - problem solved  :ricky:

Maverick Disclaimer: This thread is intended for the use of the individual(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this thread is not authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas.

Offline Cracker

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #106 on: May 06, 2011, 03:24:36 pm »
I don't like sand...or mud...or rocks...

and gravel is shit, come to think of it!

Other than that, nothing beats off-road riding..... :ricky:
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline Duracell

• 'n Afrikaanse Boere
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Elke aksie het 'n reaksie.........
« Reply #107 on: May 06, 2011, 03:35:17 pm »
I don't like sand...or mud...or rocks...

and gravel is shit, come to think of it!

Other than that, nothing beats off-road riding..... :ricky:
:laughing4: Yes, you're so right....even a trip on the potholes tarred roads can thesedays quilify as an adventure outride  :ricky:  :biggrin:
My moto: "Assumption is the Mother of all F#@x-Ups" - moet net nie van DRANK vergeet nie - 2de grootste oorsaak............

Offline Chrissie B

• Chrissie the Gypsy
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda NC750X
  • Still love my Twin
« Reply #108 on: May 06, 2011, 04:44:11 pm »

Maybe you're just not 'helpable' enough... heheheh...
Chrissie B.

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #109 on: May 06, 2011, 04:51:43 pm »

1. Guys of similar riding skill. I'm not into teaching others and I ride to enjoy, not to play instructor.
2. Riders of same approach to safety. While I like to jaag now and then I think people can do stupid things in remote areas. That's not only dumb, but it can spoil it for everyone.
3. Decisive people. Gawd, I hate ditherers. What are we going to eat/drink/do? "Hmmm, ehh, ooh..."
4. People who prepare for a trip, ie bother to have basic tools for their own bikes. "Don't ride yet! I still need to adjust my shocks... erm do I do that?"
5. Guys who have a sense of humour. Some people are funny online, but in person they're just... weird.  :biggrin:
6. Small groups. I don't have the personality profile to hang back in a big group and constantly wait for a back-up vehicle. Or stop with 12 other guys to give advice to fix a puncture.
7. People taking charge and responsibility for making things happen. I have no problem working out the route, arranging accommodation, but sometimes you get the idea that people couldn't really be bothered where we're going or what we're going to do. It's lekker if everyone takes responsibility for something.
8. People who like to chat. I've had some nice, hopefully meaningful conversations over the years with a few lekker guys on this forum. I've learnt so much from such a wide variety of guys, from airline pilots and banking types to farmers and a few dodgy types.  :biggrin:
9. Riding alone. A former boss (and a very wise man) once told me I was, in essence, a lone wolf. At the time I disagreed. I now know that he was probably more right than wrong. I enjoy my own company and can easily sit alone, looking at a fire, sipping wine and thinking about stuff. But I can do groups if I try! I promise...

Ultimately it's like life itself. We get along with some better than with others. This is neither good, nor bad.

Nobody's perfect. I might have peeved one or two okes off, but I've had the same done to me. In the process I've seen a few incredible places.  :thumleft:

Very similar sentiments....if only you rode a 'proper'  :peepwall: :biggrin:bike I could probably do some serious riding with you....
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline Chrissie B

• Chrissie the Gypsy
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda NC750X
  • Still love my Twin
« Reply #110 on: May 06, 2011, 05:02:53 pm »
I wonder if any of the guys on Friday's Barberton to Graskop ride are reading this... because I must be quite annoying to ride with... too slow on the dirt and too fast on the tar, and being the only female in the group I probably took much longer to get all my kit back on every time we stopped.  But they were all perfect gentlemen  ;D

As for me, if I'm having fun not much that other peeps do will irritate me... but beware if I'm no longer having fun... then EVERYTHING will irritate me.

And like Firecoast mentioned as well, I hate the feeling that I'm going to slow for everyone else, it does put pressure, and I just don't feel lekker going faster than I want to on gravel.  So Jacko has a point about people of similar skills riding together.

I must admit to not always being properly prepared, although I may have thought I was... but how would I even know which tools to take? The drilling machine just wouldn't fit, and the chain saw seemed overkill... :pot:

I like riding alone or with a small group that knows how to ride together... but best I'd like to ride just with one other special person.  I like to stop and look at scenery, I'd like to take pics... if I still had a camera, I even had a snooze once next to the road when I was too tired to continue... I like to be a bit flexible, but sometimes one can't because of time constraints and maybe people and places you have to be at.

Oh, I do dislike very untidy people that leave their shit all over the place for me to fall over... keep your stuff near your side of the camp/room/chalet!!

But mostly, as long as I have my bike to ride, I'm a happy chappy...  :laughing4:

Chrissie B.

Offline Makhulu

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #111 on: May 06, 2011, 05:34:26 pm »
I like to social with people, not ride with them, else I would use a bus. Best trips were where the route was given, the meeting/stop point given, the departure time (or time limit) given, and then you get there on your own time & pace. When you get there you social/drink/eat. Essentially the idea of riding a bike is to ride alone under your helmet, enjoying the ride on your own.

Offline Jacko

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Hildebrand & Wolfmuller (all models)
  • "Don't be a hater, yo." Riaan Cruywagen
« Reply #112 on: May 06, 2011, 05:42:10 pm »

Very similar sentiments....if only you rode a 'proper'  :peepwall: :biggrin:bike I could probably do some serious riding with you....

Last time we rode together, you fell. Remember Swaziland....?  :biggrin:

Got your PM. But it's so weird, I think you've still got concussion.  :laughing4:
"The test of a man is not the forum nor the field; not the marketplace nor the amen corner, but at his own fireside. There he lays aside his mask, and you may judge whether he be imp or angel, king or cur, hero or humbug." -  William Cowper Brann

Offline Dogmatix

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha TTR 250
  • None the Wiser
« Reply #113 on: May 06, 2011, 06:45:10 pm »
Guys who want to stop every 50km for a dop!  >:D

Same as the smoking brigade.... if you need pollutants in your lungs so bad, ride closer my exhaust pipe
"Don't believe every quote you read on the Internet." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Boerha

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
« Reply #114 on: May 06, 2011, 06:49:04 pm »

Julle KTM ouens Kan ook maar oor min dinge skryf He??? :imaposer:

Offline nemodakar

« Reply #115 on: May 06, 2011, 06:53:13 pm »
As ons BM ouens voel ons wil rus, dan val ons, dan rus die bikes ook ne?

So internal joke, wie almal sal weet waarvan ons praat? :pot:

Offline Tonteldoos

« Reply #116 on: May 06, 2011, 07:05:42 pm »
Hate beeg groups , but don't mind.. however I choose my own pace, you are welcome to pass me WITHOUT roosting me  >:D
Riding speeds I am comfortable with and enjoying the scenery, afterall that's part of the trip.
Just tell me what is the lunch breakfast spot and I'll meet you there.
Oh and make sure you exchange cellphone nr's just incase..
Challenge = Innovation = Change

Offline Chrispy

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #117 on: May 06, 2011, 07:20:38 pm »
quote :    being the only female in the group I probably took much longer to get all my kit back on every time we stopped

I like riding with females that get their kit off every time they stop  :o ::)
Today is a gift that's why they call it the present.

Offline nemodakar

« Reply #118 on: May 06, 2011, 07:30:44 pm »
quote :    being the only female in the group I probably took much longer to get all my kit back on every time we stopped

So do I but I'm called the sweeper. :thumleft:

Offline Chrispy

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #119 on: May 06, 2011, 07:40:29 pm »

So do I but I'm called the sweeper. :thumleft:

sounds like a good position to ride  :o
Today is a gift that's why they call it the present.