Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Tough day at work - report  (Read 2102 times)

Offline Leon H

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
Tough day at work - report
« on: March 15, 2006, 06:50:41 am »
Not a ride report, but a little story about my day at work yesterday.

I had to head over to Magnetic Island, a small island about 6km offshore from Townsville.  We had to conduct an inspection of a new zoo they were opening up, and a few other little jobs, and the rest of the day was ours to do pretty much as we pleased.

Leaving port on the ferry looking back over Townsville

The Island is very popular with backpackers and tourists, and has quite a tropical island feel to it.  We felt it appropriate to blend in with the locals that we needed to hire a car.  I personally wanted the hot pink moke with the Spongebob Squarepants drawing on the bonnet, but I let my colleague decide instead.  We hired a sweet set of wheels and headed over to do our job.

Once we completed what we had to do, we set about exploring the island in the Dorothy the Dinosaur mobile.  It is a very rocky and hilly island with some fantastic bike roads, both dirt and tar.  And with a sporty manhine like Dorothy we made quick time.

We felt it was important to see how close we could get to the beach before we got bogged.  Turns out we couldn't get that close.  After some technical driving in the moke we managed to get back on the main drag.

Eventually we arrived at Horseshoe Bay, a small cove on the eastern side of the Island.  It is a really popular spot with tourists and locals alike.  A pub right on the bay, perfect scenery.  Oh and lots of young topless ladies too.

In the end we took the car back, got back on the ferry and headed back to the mainland, vowing to find some more official duties to bring us back to the island.

It's a funny place Magnetic Island.  I look at it every day on my way to work, it takes me 15 minutes from my place to the ferry terminal, then 20 mintues on the ferry, yet I have been there twice in 8 years.  I think this year I will make a point of trying a bit harder to explore the places right on my doorstep.

Cheers

Leon
"I see a boundary, I eat a boundary...and wash it down with a cup of hot steaming rules!"

Offline LiveInTheOutdoors

• http://tigerr.smugmug.com
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2006, 07:29:57 am »
You suck  :D

Now where the pics of the topless babes.  :D  :D
very minute is a chance to turn it all around - Vanilla Sky

>Mav... started gym. Officially at 95kg....<

Offline funacide

• Administrator
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
    • Mediro Business Service Management
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 07:37:38 am »
Thats another place in Aus Land to visit when we do our tour to Townsville.

GR8 pics Leon
KTM 1190 ADV R

Offline macduff

• RIP
  • Bike: Yamaha XT600
  • Cape Town
    • http://gonnagallas.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006, 08:04:41 am »
cool little report  :)
am curious why you have such a long breakwater/pier in townsend....

tks tho  :wink:

Offline Leon H

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2006, 08:24:50 am »
Quote from: "macduff"
cool little report  :)
am curious why you have such a long breakwater/pier in townsend....

tks tho  :wink:

On the southern (left) side of this photo, just out of view is a major shipping port.  The thing is the bay is pretty shallow, and so the channel is constantly dredged to keep it deep enough for the bigger ships.  Even then the really big ships can only leave at high tide and are restricted to the very narrow (about 20m) channel, which is entertaining when you are belting down the channel into the breakwater and a big ship is coming out restricted by draft, leaving you not many places to go sometimes.  So anyway the prevailing current blows a lot of sand and sediment south along the beach, which formerly filled in the channel.  In the end the port authority just probably figured it would be easier to build a wall than keep dredging constantly.

Interestingly though, they are going to reclaim land on the northern (right) side of the breakwater, and build big houses, high rises and a cruise ship terminal there.  It's a pretty interesting decision as it appears that the first strong cyclone will blow the lot into sea anyhow, and reclaim land is very poor and unstable at the best of times.  That's the price of progress I guess.

"Now where the pics of the topless babes.  " - LITO

Trust me LITO I thought of taking a few snaps for you boyz, but I sort of figured that a guy skulking around in the bushes with a camera wearing a national parks uniform taking photos is probably not a good look!  When I go back in civvies I will be sure to ge some shots, without the risk of being subject to a ministerial enquiry!!  :lol:
"I see a boundary, I eat a boundary...and wash it down with a cup of hot steaming rules!"

Offline KiLRoy

• A serious man...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • You said it, man. Nobody fucks with Jesus Quintana
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2006, 09:24:29 am »
Oz will be a nice country to tour hey?

Few people understand how big Oz actually is - its huge.

Start saving....

H

Offline Grootseun

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2006, 09:43:05 am »
Nice report Leon... man ure working.. and it looks like ur'e on vacation...nice!!

I think it is your duty as a parks employee to creep in the bushes shooting pic's of the "Local wildlife in their natural attire"

Will looooove to bike in Aus..my wife and myself have been dsicussing moving there once she finishes her degree.. i told her we can leave all our shit here.. but im taking my bike...

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2006, 02:04:12 pm »
Good one LeonH, be expecting those ruff photos soon  :D

Offline Leo

Re: Tough day at work - report
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2006, 03:34:58 pm »
Quote from: "Leon H"
...  Oh and lots of young topless ladies too.

Grey Haired Riders Don't get that way from pure luck!

Offline X Banana Boy

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2006, 03:57:41 pm »
nice report. Wasn't it a bit cosy in your Dorathy car.  Is it a Jeep? or an Asian knock off.

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2006, 04:27:04 pm »
Quote from: "X Banana Boy"
Is it a Jeep? or an Asian knock off.

Mini Moke - used by british paratroopers and the Royal airforce during WWII if I'm not mistaken

Offline macduff

• RIP
  • Bike: Yamaha XT600
  • Cape Town
    • http://gonnagallas.blogspot.com/
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2006, 04:51:23 pm »
also a few in the sa navy in the mid 70s

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
  • Bike: BMW R100GS / Kalahari
  • Some multi-task. I multi-slack.
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2006, 05:50:09 pm »
Thanks for that trip back into memory lane mate, was on magnetic in 1997 and spend many a happy hot day on horseshoe bay beach. Not sure if Geoff's place is still there where you get loads of backpacker's camping out.

Recall lying in my tent one morning at around 4:30 sweating my ass off, screamed to my buddy who was in the tent next door asking what we gonna do today, his reply was "What we do every fukin day on this island, eat ice cream, chill on the beach and drink beer, what did you think we gonna do?" Now how can you argue against a statement like that :D
Maverick Disclaimer: This thread is intended for the use of the individual(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this thread is not authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas.

Offline X Banana Boy

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2006, 05:59:04 pm »
Quote from: "LuckyStriker"
Is it a Jeep? or an Asian knock off.

Mini Moke - used by british paratroopers and the Royal airforce during WWII if I'm not mistaken

thanks

Offline Leon H

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2006, 01:22:49 am »
Quote from: "Maverick"
Thanks for that trip back into memory lane mate, was on magnetic in 1997 and spend many a happy hot day on horseshoe bay beach. Not sure if Geoff's place is still there where you get loads of backpacker's camping out.

Recall lying in my tent one morning at around 4:30 sweating my ass off, screamed to my buddy who was in the tent next door asking what we gonna do today, his reply was "What we do every fukin day on this island, eat ice cream, chill on the beach and drink beer, what did you think we gonna do?" Now how can you argue against a statement like that :D

Hey Mav, here's a blast from the past for you, the esplanade at Horseshoe Bay, circa 2 days ago.  It has gone a long way there man, with new shops and kind of trendy cafes.  But it is still very small and full of backpackers and entertainment.  This shot shows the pub (or Marlin bar as it is also called)

And you will be pleased to know that Geoff's place is still there in all its splendour!  :)

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2006, 09:22:33 am »
nice report. Wasn't it a bit cosy in your Dorathy car.  Is it a Jeep? or an Asian knock off.

yep Mini Moke. Still a few around in ZA still, you see them every now and then if you get out unlike me.

Theres a sweet white one that runs to the Shark tank in Durban every now and then, I have a confession to make, its my ultimate car.

But in bright yellow please, its a happy colour. I would probably almost sell my KTM for it......

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
  • Bike: BMW R100GS / Kalahari
  • Some multi-task. I multi-slack.
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2006, 02:25:31 pm »
Quote from: "Leon H"
Hey Mav, here's a blast from the past for you, the esplanade at Horseshoe Bay, circa 2 days ago.  It has gone a long way there man, with new shops and kind of trendy cafes.  But it is still very small and full of backpackers and entertainment.  This shot shows the pub (or Marlin bar as it is also called)

And you will be pleased to know that Geoff's place is still there in all its splendour!  :)

BY the looks of the growth there it is nearly a city compared to what it was in 1997 :D That is one of the places I have promised myself to return to at some point in my life 8) Mmmmm maybe I should open a SA shop around there selling boerewors rolls :roll:
Maverick Disclaimer: This thread is intended for the use of the individual(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this thread is not authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas.

Offline FortyZA

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • East London
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2006, 03:41:09 pm »
Leon H,

When the BOYS come to visit, please arrange for them an Aussie play station "1 Sheep tied to a pole"

Just kidding, nice pic's but sadly, Australia is 1 of the last places I would like to visit because the speed limit is too low, even in the outback and lastly, the beer tastes bad.

In SA we can still enjoy ourselves without too much hassels from cops and roo's.
BMW 1220 Adv (2006)
WR450F (777 - cool blue)
KDX 250 (Pink panther) Sold

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2006, 04:04:27 pm »
Quote from: "FortyZA"
Leon H,

When the BOYS come to visit, please arrange for them an Aussie play station "1 Sheep tied to a pole"

Just kidding, nice pic's but sadly, Australia is 1 of the last places I would like to visit because the speed limit is too low, even in the outback and lastly, the beer tastes bad.

In SA we can still enjoy ourselves without too much hassels from cops and roo's.

Agreed, Aus is from the reports I have had "overpoliced", I love the fact that we can in most cases have a great day out with minimal worry of being hasseled.

But what else do you expect from a penal colony?

Welshie  8)

We will raise up our glasses, against evil forces; Singing whiskey for my men, beer for my horses!!
If I had a dollar for every girl that found me unattractive, they'd eventually find me attractive.

Offline Leon H

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2006, 12:54:34 am »
Quote from: "FortyZA"
Leon H,

I hear ya! 8)

In Australia they have developed "Traffic Branch" of the police, and they are just aresholes.  30km/h over the speed limit and you go to court possibly gaol.  Suburban streets are not policed, only open highways where you can pull the big speeds safely anyway.  About 8 years ago there was a community backlash against revenue raising by the cops, and they denied it.  I read an article the other day with the chief of traffic branch admitting they are a revenue raising organisation, and he reckons "it's up to the public whether they contribute or not."  If you get nabbed by traffic branch you are gone.  In 2000 I got pinched for not wearing a helmet, while working in my driveway, not even sitting on the bike.  The cop reckons I was going to ride off.  It went to court, I lost, even though the clerk of the court was my neighbour and saw the whole thing.  In a rage I then treatened the cop, and when drunk one night tried to punch him, which was the worst thing I could have done.  I ended up having to leave town the harrassment was so bad :x

Another time I got stopped at the NSW / Victoria border on my GSXR, for no other reason than they wanted to look at my license and take my rego, and go through my gear.  He started writing my details down, I said "Why are you taking my details?  I have not done anything?" and the smug copper replied "I know, but we are taking the details of all the bikes that come past here, in case anything does happen.  We want to keep track of everyone we talk to today."  In a rage I said "Well you give me your details you f**king c**t, I want to keep track of everyone I talk to today." That was the wrong thing to say, off to the station for me for the next  few hours. :evil:

So anyway I agree about the policing.  This would be a great place if not for the policing aimed at revenue raising, they have no interest in road safety it seems.  The police attitude towards bikes is so oppressive at times that I am seriously considering finding some other place to live, hence my coming to ZA next year to work for a little while.  It's something I'm getting pretty excited about  :P