Tough day at work - report

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leon H

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Not a ride report, but a little story about my day at work yesterday.

I had to head over to Magnetic Island, a small island about 6km offshore from Townsville. We had to conduct an inspection of a new zoo they were opening up, and a few other little jobs, and the rest of the day was ours to do pretty much as we pleased.

Leaving port on the ferry looking back over Townsville
Island9.jpg

The Island is very popular with backpackers and tourists, and has quite a tropical island feel to it. We felt it appropriate to blend in with the locals that we needed to hire a car. I personally wanted the hot pink moke with the Spongebob Squarepants drawing on the bonnet, but I let my colleague decide instead. We hired a sweet set of wheels and headed over to do our job.

Island7.jpg

Once we completed what we had to do, we set about exploring the island in the Dorothy the Dinosaur mobile. It is a very rocky and hilly island with some fantastic bike roads, both dirt and tar. And with a sporty manhine like Dorothy we made quick time.

island1.jpg

Island11.jpg

Island13.jpg

We felt it was important to see how close we could get to the beach before we got bogged. Turns out we couldn't get that close. After some technical driving in the moke we managed to get back on the main drag.

Island12.jpg

Eventually we arrived at Horseshoe Bay, a small cove on the eastern side of the Island. It is a really popular spot with tourists and locals alike. A pub right on the bay, perfect scenery. Oh and lots of young topless ladies too.

Island10.jpg

Island8.jpg

In the end we took the car back, got back on the ferry and headed back to the mainland, vowing to find some more official duties to bring us back to the island.

It's a funny place Magnetic Island. I look at it every day on my way to work, it takes me 15 minutes from my place to the ferry terminal, then 20 mintues on the ferry, yet I have been there twice in 8 years. I think this year I will make a point of trying a bit harder to explore the places right on my doorstep.

Cheers

Leon