Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Two-up adventure tour from WC to Rhodes and back: Complete !  (Read 8892 times)

Offline Clockwork Orange

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
Two-up adventure tour from WC to Rhodes and back: Complete !
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2007, 10:59:02 am »
It just keeps getting better. That Eco Shrine was built by my ex-wifes aunt. Her name is Dianna Graham and is a very recognised artist in SA. Her husband Hillary Graham now living in Aberdeen is an even more famous artist. His brother is none other than (lets check who the oldies are here) Crocodile Harris the musician song writer.
When in doubt...grab throttle!!!

Offline Uiltjie

• Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Caledon
    • http://www.goudinie.co.za
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2007, 11:08:46 am »
Quote from: "Clockwork Orange"
It just keeps getting better. That Eco Shrine was built by my ex-wifes aunt. Her name is Dianna Graham and is a very recognised artist in SA. Her husband Hillary Graham now living in Aberdeen is an even more famous artist. His brother is none other than (lets check who the oldies are here) Crocodile Harris the musician song writer.

My brothers in Law were Croc fans, them being quite older than me.  I remember "Give the good news"  and the big hit "Miss Eva Goodnight" very well.
"Sit vis vobiscum."

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2007, 11:21:01 am »
Thanks for the trivia CO !

I'm still looking for that song !

Was one of my fav's. KFM dusted it off for a spin or two a bout 4 years back, but I was never at a place where I could record it...

'War's the one game where we all lose'

'You don't use guns to build a nation'

Very cool.
02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Offline Ysterman

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2007, 11:30:09 am »
Quote from: "Eisbein"

Eisbein jou bliksem, nou laat jy my verlang  :)

You see, I grew up on that farm next to the road you?re standing right there - my parents are still there & my brother bought the farm next to them  :)

Just look at those mountains in the distance - nothing of that beauty here in Jburg.

Nice report - I haven?t been on those roads with my bike yet  :cry:

Offline Clockwork Orange

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2007, 11:35:19 am »
Thanks for the trivia CO !

I'm still looking for that song !

Was one of my fav's. KFM dusted it off for a spin or two a bout 4 years back, but I was never at a place where I could record it...

'War's the one game where we all lose'

'You don't use guns to build a nation'

Very cool.

Eisbein, Croc stays around the corner for me and is still doing gigs around Cape Town. I could possibly get you a signed copy of his album if you like that sort of thing :D

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2007, 11:37:26 am »
What ?

:shock:  :shock:

That'll be so cool !

PM me some banking details if there's any 'monetary transfers' needed.
02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Kev

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2007, 11:38:44 am »
Looking forward to the next bit...

Offline Clockwork Orange

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2007, 11:41:55 am »
What ?

:shock:  :shock:

That'll be so cool !

PM me some banking details if there's any 'monetary transfers' needed.

Let me see what I can set up then

Offline Uiltjie

• Caledon
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2007, 11:56:54 am »
This Forum is unreal....CO sees a picture by GS Holic of a plot that he used to play as a kid, Ysterman sees a pic from Eisbein of his parents farm where he grew up, and to top it all, CO stays around the corner from the legendary Croc Harris, who has a song that Eisbein is looking for.....

Hell that is amazing!

Thanks guys for making it such a small world.....MODS, excuse my French, but this is Fucking unreal!
"Sit vis vobiscum."

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2007, 12:02:17 pm »
Quote from: "Ysterman"

Eisbein jou bliksem, nou laat jy my verlang  :)

You see, I grew up on that farm next to the road you?re standing right there - my parents are still there & my brother bought the farm next to them  :)

Just look at those mountains in the distance - nothing of that beauty here in Jburg.

Nice report - I haven?t been on those roads with my bike yet  :cry:

Wow !

Uiltjie:
Thanks guys for making it such a small world.....MODS, excuse my French, but this is Fucking unreal!

Indeed !

Offline Leo

« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2007, 07:52:03 pm »
The luggage at the back made Sauerkraut's headlight (on dim) shine into the trees.

Eisbein - check at the rear of the headlight - there should be a little connector shaft conne3cted to th ecross shaft with double sided thread, so when you turn it, it will become longer, therefor forcing you headlight down.

Once the bike is unloaded, shorten the shaft and the light will be lifted.

Nice report and thanks for sharing.  :wink:  :wink:
Grey Haired Riders Don't get that way from pure luck!

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2007, 10:54:55 pm »
Thanks !

I saw that, but you know how it goes - when you see the shaft you're always in a hurry and when you have time you never remember.

I'm glad to hear its dubbleside thread - that'll make it sommer quick-quick.

I'm thinking its too high anycase. I don't even have to accelerate hard behind a car to make the 'dimms' shine into the car's rear view mirror. I'll vroetel it this weekend...

W.

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2007, 01:10:36 am »
Day 5 and 6:
"Day5: Just hang around with friends and let the backsides rest
Day6: From Dordrecht on the R56 through Ingwe and Elliot. To 'Gatberg' and back to Elliot. Then over Barkley pass and the R393 via Moshesh's Ford To Rhodes. Back on the R396 through Barkly East, Clifford, Rossouw, Killians' pass and back to Dordrecht."

We decided from the beginning that we needed to build some 'resting' into our trip (this is after all holiday as well !)
Dordrecht was the right place for this as a) we have dear friends there that we do not see that often and b) it seemed like a good idea to take a rest before a very long day on the bike.

So again after a very healty/beeeg breakfast (I see a pattern here) our hosts took us around the dorp to check out the scenery/people/places.

After checking out the local dorp they took us into a 'kloof'. The entrance is about 3 blocks from their house and to be honest didn't look like much, but as soon as we were 300 meters in it was a different story:

There's lots of photos that was taken here, but I don't want to bore you with too many non-biking photos.
Vicky has a knack for capturing textures tho' :

Mooooooosley:

We don't have many photos of us together, so I couldn't resist:
Ok - altogether: aaaaaaaaaaaaaw !

Later the afternoon we headed to the church. They had there 150 year anniversary of the church this year!
Apparently the church have been built on plans from a church in Dordrecht in the Netherlands and has the 3rd highest tower for a 'N.G Kerk' in South Africa.

This was taken with the cellphone - I have a thing for steep angles:

Vicky spotted some cool corners at the door:

Some gothic looking candles:

Vicky's take on the steep angle:

If you go and lie on your back to take a better photo (like Vicky and I do sometimes), make sure there isn't a hyperactive brak called 'Fred' (no matter how cute) that's running around. You might end up with an unexpected 'art photo':

The photo without Fred:

The church was damaged in the 2nd world war - some evidence remains:

We also took a drive a little out of the town - look at these interesting erosion patterns just next to a bridge:

Sunset at Dordrecht:

Ok - back to what we all are here for - The trip !
We got up the morning (earlyish for a holiday) and after (you guessed it!) a hearty breakfast we were filling up at the station at about 9am. It was rather chill outside (the day before was something like -6 min and 2 max !

We put Vicky's jacket's inner in - apart from that she was dressed in a long sleeve shirt, a fleece top and the jacket.
She could almost not bend her arms !

Pretty much the same scenery going past Ingwe and on the way to Elliot.
On our way to Elliot:

Wavy road - very cool:

Going past Elliot:

About 25 k's after Elliot we took the turnoff towards Gatberg:

Gatberg itself:

We didn't go all the way in. The 'friendly-banter-dude' in Cathcart told us that there were guys flying their airplanes through that hole. I don't really know about that ...

Marking territory:

*Note to self - make sure wife doesn't have camera when marking territory*

Back at Elliot we filled up and continued onto the R393 that leads up Barkley pass.

This was without a doubt the most majestic scenery that we have encountered the whole trip. Just as you come 'round a corner and think to yourself 'It cannot get better than this" you go 'round the next one and it is...

Look at the textures at the back:

And these:

Not riding where I look:

Some more B&W:

We headed towards Mosjesh Ford and left tarmac behind for the rest of the day:

We encountered some amazing views on the way to a bit of a valley on top of the mountains:

This is where the farms start:

Vicky wanted a little close-up photo, so I obliged:

Some more farms: We encountered lots of local farmers and farmworkers and we can assure you these people are very friendly

Got to an intersection - we took the road that went higher up:

"I come in peace. Take me to your leader":

Da bike in da scenery:

Turned right over a bridge and started the last stretch towards Rhodes:
Beautiful as the scenery and mountains was I could not help but think that it would be cool to see these mountains either dressed up in green in green season or covered in a white blanket in high winter...

We encountered another offroad touring couple on a fully dressed (and heavily loaded) 1150GSA:

Another shot:

We went to the Rhodes Hotel and saw this:
My 1st reaction was to get off and have a chat to these guys to hear where they're from, where they're headed and to wonder if they enjoyed it etc.
I hope none of you know some of these GP guys. I am very sad to say that I was totally and utterly put off by their attitude towards me and Vicky. They stood there dressed in their shiny BMW gear and looked at us as if some cat just walked in there and crapped us out.
Tjekboekryers.

So we 'maar' headed to the Rubicon where we had a very cool steak, chips and egg each for VERY cheap.

Time is waiting for no one so we headed out - bumping into the couple on the 1150 GSA that we've followed in.
We spend a little time chatting to them. I am glad to say that they were as eager to hear our stories as what we were to hear theirs. Thank you mr and mrs 'jspiesfoto' !

Headed back out of Rhodes and towards Barkley East. We rode over a bump at the time that Vicky clicked off a photo, so she got a little more shoulder than what she bargained for:

Nice open high speed, low surprises roads:

With still very cool views thrown in to boot:

Open valleys:

And nice little passes:

Stretched out scenery:

And lowlevel flybys:

We were getting pushed for time and light was getting low so we didn't take too many other photos. :(

As weird as it sounds, I almost got to a point where I was like: "Yeah. Another mind-blowingly beautiful piece of scenery unfolding ahead of me. ok cool..."

I said almost.

We took on fuel at Barkley east, headed on a little stretch of tar road again and then headed into the gravel pass filled mountains again. By the way we bumped into a couple of BMW annuall gathering dudes at Barkley East and I am very pleased to say that these guys were again very true offroad motorcycle and outdoor enthusiasts. We had a lekker (albeit all to quick) chat.

At about 17:15 we pulled back into the driveway at Dordrecht. Very tired but very satisfied and, again, with much to relive/think about.

We had a wonderful supper at this little place:

Belongs to a local teacher. She can open this on arrangement as well. It was Sunday night and she opened especially for the 4 of us. Very cosy, very good food and friendly 'plattelandse' hospitality.

The day's offroad riding was mostly 3rd and 4th gear. At times there was pieces of 2nd gear rough terrain, but they don't jump on you unexpectedly. You see it coming way in advance so that you can ease off the throttle and take care of business in hand. It is also (even in some passes to an extent) a very 'rider scenery friendly' environment.

I think the road at some parts through the farm area on top of the mountain might become more interesting when it rains.
It is that pitch black, almost clay-like, tightly packed sand that you can just see will get the seepkoekie out when it gets wet.

About 440km for the day with about 130 km's on tar.

A very enjoyable route indeed !

That's me for day 5 and 6.

Tommorow the road to Graaf-Reinet...
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 12:54:25 pm by Eisbein »

Offline Captain Zef

• The Ultimate
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Oudtshoorn / Mosselbaai
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2007, 07:19:02 am »
Ai julle twee maak my sommer jaloers.

Jislaaik maar die Ooskaap is darem mooi. Sal die KLR moet opsaal. :D
Follow me on Instagram for my photos. www.instagram.com/hein_bence/
Or Facebook www.facebook.com/HeinBencePhotography/

Offline GIDEON

• Born in the year of the Tiger
  • Bike: Triumph 800 XC
  • Bikes est dans mon sang
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2007, 07:45:28 am »
DIS die LEWE julle

Nobody can be exactly like me. Sometimes even I have trouble doing it.

Offline Ama ride ride

• Gravel unlimited
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Ride to ride again
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2007, 07:54:22 am »
Fantastiese trip......

Nou waars my swart notaboekie... :lol:
Gewoontlik n@@i ek reguit aan op fyndraai.

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2007, 08:05:17 am »
Jealous is all I can say. :P

Thanks for sharing. :)
He who angers you, controls you.

Offline Uiltjie

• Caledon
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2007, 09:12:02 am »
Pragtig Wihan, dis mooi om te sien dat julle 2 so iets saam aanpak!  Julle het seker nognie kinders nie?  Doen dit nou terwyl julle nog kan.....

Pragtige foto's!  Julle moet bietjie dit verder vat, en klasse vat - julle het klaar die skill om dit baie goed te doen - komposisie bly 95% van 'n goeie foto, en dit het julle klaar!

Nice pic van julle 2!
"Sit vis vobiscum."

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2007, 09:21:51 am »
Yip, nog nie kinders nie.

Dan sal ons seker maar 'n syspan moet kry, maar ek weet nie hoe dit gaan werk op smal bergpaadjies nie !   :wink:

Dankie vir die comment oor die fotos.
Vicky is 'n entoesias - sy het nog altyd 'n oog gehad vir fotos.
(Jy moet haar 'brag album' sien...)

Ek wag net tot ek geld het om vir haar 'n 'properse' kamera te koop - dan sal  sy weer by 'n fotografieklub kan aansluit.
Sy het altyd 'n Minolta Maxim SLR gehad (wel sy het hom nog steeds maar die body is stukkend) met 'n klomp lense, flashes, filters en ander goodies, so dit sal seker sin maak om 'n Konika Minolta digital body te koop.

Die kamera wat sy nou gebruik werk lekker maar is nie meer so lekker nie. Ek moet dit seker nie sĂ?ÂȘ nie, maar jy sal in baie van die foto's se linker boonste hoek so 'n donkerder kol sien - die CCD's is bietjie geskroef. Ek probeer dit altyd uit 'crop' maar dit werk nie altyd so lekker nie...

Weereens dankie aan almal vir die positiewe terugvoer.
Ek is regtig bly dat dit een van die dinge is wat ek en Vicky sonder 'compromise' van enige kant af met oorgawe kan geniet.

Die mense van die forum dra natuurlik ook baie by tot die hele positiewe ervaring !

Offline Trailrider

• Southern Cape
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
  • "Africa Twin Lite"
    • Trailrider
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2007, 09:22:11 am »
Lekker man. Dis nou werklik mooi wereld daai. Ek moet ook soontoe.

Nog! Nog!