Trip around Lesotho during Easter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bomber11

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
After many weeks of planning and upgrading of equipment ranging from luggage bags, camping equipment, tyres and various forms of riding attire, the big day finally arrived. At our rendezvous point on the morning of Good Friday, I was expecting five bikes fully loaded and ready to roll. Well, five turned into seven and then into nine. What transpired was as follows: the original group of Zugger (BMW 1150 GSA), Bushboy (BMW 1200GSA), Husamarine (KTM 950 A) and myself on a BMW 1200 GSA plus the addition of  Wouter (BMW 1150 GSA) and his charming wife whom would be joining us on the ride to Ficksburg for our first overnight stop. Wouter would be heading off to Katze Dam thereafter. Through the Wild Dog forum, Ride for fun (Honda African Twin) and this brother Juan (Kawasaki KLR 650) asked if they could join us on the trip. We gladly accepted their request but hadn’t received any confirmation up until they arrived at the rendezvous on Friday morning. Unbeknown to us, Wouter had also invited Ronsard ( BMW F650 Dakar) and Dakka (BMW 1200 GSA) to join us for the first days ride as they were undecided on neither direction nor destination for themselves over the long weekend (I goes where the wind blows philosophy). 
P4220002.jpg

I had decided on travelling along many secondary roads to incorporate some small towns which are well known in name yet never visited due to the convenience of today’s modern freeway systems. The group of nine bikes with headlights blazing was an awesome sight and many a spectator took the time to capture the spectacle and envy us for a moment.  Through Bapsfontein, Dalmas, Devon and Balfour then problems, Ride for Fun and Juan somehow had stop along the way and had missed the turn off to Balfour. An hour later and after many phone calls, they finally arrived in Balfour.
S7301263.jpg

LesothoEaster2011025.jpg

Then the road to Villiers, yes there was some tar but what great fun dodging potholes when the “hole” road was totally owned by nine bikes. We travelled parallel to the N3 for some time and witnessed a huge backup of vehicles trying to negotiate the toll gates. A quick stop outside Villiers to capture the old steel bridge over the Vaal River then via many road-works and deviations to Frankfort. (I’m sure I saw at least twenty occupants in cars grumpy as nine bikes pushed their way through the traffic to the front of the queue).
Lesothopics1.jpg

LesothoEaster2011005.jpg

A quick unscheduled stop in Tweeling as the big KTM required some liquid energy to satisfy its continuous thirst. We headed past Reitz, then Bethlehem and stopped at the charming arty village of Clarens for a well deserved lunch and a few golden brews.
IMG_7130.jpg