Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 2011 EC Wild Dog Bash - the Report Back  (Read 9550 times)

Offline Rynet

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
Re: 2011 EC Wild Dog Bash - the Report Back
« Reply #240 on: June 09, 2011, 10:41:23 am »
Big Dom , good luck with the recovery. :thumleft: Sorry we didn't stay and chat when we came upon you, you looked like you were in good hands , and we were anxious to get going as it was getting dark and that track was not so nice to ride in the setting sun. There was rocks and sand and mud and water .  We were always going to slow or too fast. If you sped up for the incline/ sand you hit the water / mud too fast and vice versa. :biggrin:  Don't know how McSpanner ,Dakar Dog and Dirt Copper , as well as Ball and Chain them rode that track in the pitch dark.  :o Well done on Watty to ride hours in the dark to get you safely to the hospital.

The same track in the morning was a pleasure, and the views beautiful. Fortunately I missed the hectic 4x4 track that Andy660 , Piston Pete, Bradleys , DonovanKTM and AntonW them did on the way to the Bash  :o :o, they will show us pics when they come back , I'm sure , and respect to them  :thumleft:

What a lekker Bash Watty and the guys  :3some: :3some:

Thanks Big Al for the Big Tent and the burgers and the hot water and general help.  :3some: Thanks for eveyone who made it fun. Was good meeting Thump, J-Dog , J-Man and Glen Ink and others , real charming men   :mwink:

Was good chatting to friends , new and old. Was great to see Bessie again ,and meet her dad :thumleft: It was freezing cold Sat night in the tent, there was dew inside my tent, good thing I had a hot water bottle . Awesome location , great food, great company , all in all a very successful EC Bash.  :ricky:

Thanks to all my riding buddies for a lekker ride to and from the Bash :thumleft: :thumleft:

Hi there Rynet!

Was a sure pleasure meeting you at the Bash - not only because we happen to be colleagues but also as a co- Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance junkie!   :thumleft:

Enjoyed your Verneukpan article in the June Offroad & Adventure SA Mag.  Hope to see you again soon.

I have to say that the ride back from BigDom that night was the absolute scariest of my life!  And then I go and drop my Dakar a week later on a dirt road which, by comparison, was a paved highway smoother than hot butter 'n honey!!

Just goes to show - you just never now with this sport.....  :-\
Yes like wise DD, great to meet you too  :3some:, and thanks  :thumleft: :thumleft:
Its impossible, said pride. Its risky, said experience. 

Its pointless, said reason. Give it a try, whispered the heart.

Offline DakarDawg

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Inertia is a bitch.....
« Reply #241 on: June 09, 2011, 10:53:31 am »
Some feed-back regarding Big Dom

I was in contact with Big Dom and all is positive. After coming off approximately 16h20 on the Friday afternoon, he eventually went into surgery on Saturday afternoon at  3pm for 2 + hours ... very happy with his orthopaedic surgeon, Dr Theuns Botha, who was able to pinned it all together again ... his wrist was pretty well shattered and out of alignment!  Dom is now back home in G'Town.  His bike is also safely back, albeit with a few more scratches and half a screen!  His only moan is that he missed another brilliant bash.

Speedy recovery and good luck with the healing processes.  :thumleft:

Thanks for that update Watty. Kobus and his mate Rodney were true WD manly men and will get my vote on Wednesday for Mayor  >:D Kobus your own courage is a lesson - respect. Also thanks to the three EC WD boets an swaars who stopped to check I was ok and not going into shock with the prospect of missing the bash ... and also ensured I was medicinally hydrated  ;D  Shot Leftless, Edgy and others who recovered GSpot and returned her safely to me not too worse for wear. My own pilot error will see me 'pinned down' for a least six weeks. Remember there is no ATGATT for wrists  ??? the rest did its job perectly.

Below is a picture of the hard silver bracelet (angel ATGATT) I was wearing that took the lions share of the impact on one particularly sharp rock  ... without which I would have had lots more than three fractures! I was obviously not flying faster than my Guardian Angel.  :angel11:

Hi there Big Dom!

Glad to see you're OK and that you haven't lost your sense of humour Dude!  I sincerely wish you a speedy recovery and bettership.  Trust me - at this stage I feel your pain man!

As we were first on the "crime scene" I can confidently report that you were tough enough to still flash me the universal sign at the time, despite your obvious discomfort.....  !!

But you forgot to mention that we also ensured that we were sufficiently "medicinally hydrated" ourselves (just to take the edge off of course!)

Best regards man    
Life is not a dress rehearsal......

Offline YoYo

• Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #242 on: June 09, 2011, 05:10:36 pm »
Well here's wishing both you guys a really speedy recovery.  :thumleft:

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #243 on: June 09, 2011, 05:52:01 pm »

Hi there Big Dom!

Glad to see you're OK and that you haven't lost your sense of humour Dude!  I sincerely wish you a speedy recovery and bettership.  Trust me - at this stage I feel your pain man!

As we were first on the "crime scene" I can confidently report that you were tough enough to still flash me the universal sign at the time, despite your obvious discomfort.....  !!

But you forgot to mention that we also ensured that we were sufficiently "medicinally hydrated" ourselves (just to take the edge off of course!)

Best regards man    
[/quote]

Hey DD - So sorry to hear about your accident and indeed sounds like you are alot worse than me (I have another two weeks with the TV aerial on my arm!). I have good movement back in my fingers and can now flip the bird (the New SA peace sign) with the broken side too! Hey great pic dude - check the adrenalin and endorfin smile ... returned later with the Pethadine  :biggrin: Again many thanks to you dudes and Watty and Rodney who were proper meneers.  DD - hope to ride with you in the future and compare battle scars.  :thumleft:
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701 Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

:ricky:

Offline DirtCopper

• Bikers have more fun than people
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • TAKE ME TO YOUR DEALER
« Reply #244 on: June 09, 2011, 08:47:55 pm »
Ons staan saam soos doop ouers !!!:3some: :ricky: :3some: :laughing4:
Die SHERIFF van Groothond

Offline Watty

• RIP 29-07-2011
  • Bike: Suzuki Djebel 250XC
« Reply #245 on: June 10, 2011, 12:26:49 am »
 :thumleft: lekker reporting DakarDawg.  Just  hope I do not always look like a blrrie marsmannetjie when posing with the pikkewyne!  :ricky:

Offline Kerritz

• KTSSSSK!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • What a SUPER-loss....DAMMIT man!
« Reply #246 on: June 10, 2011, 07:04:11 am »
Lekker pics Dakardawg  :thumleft:

Sorry to hear about your accident, and Good luck with the recovery :thumleft:

I concur....lekker pics.....and get well soon!!  :thumleft:
Vorige skoeters: XT660E, TL1000R, 2006 R1200GSA, 2010 R1200GSA 30 Years Anniversary, CRF450R, CRF450X, DRZ400SM, 950 Adventure, 990 SuperDuke (ISM) 2012 R1200GS Triple Black, F800GS, Wolskoeter!

Kaapse Jelly Tot!

Offline UncleAl

• Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #247 on: June 10, 2011, 08:30:34 pm »
Bd Glad to hear only2 weeks left. Must be looking forward to ride again. Any serious damage to the monster?

DD Jammer om van jou Oepsss te hoor. Die nuwe G650GS lyk na 'n goeie fiets, miskien te veel pad ge-orienteerd - dan maar die 800 of die ou SWAARGEWIG. 
Nog beter, val maar in by my, TR en LGF met die alps!!!! ;D   :ricky:
Voorspoed met die herstel.
Dont kick a dwog and expect him to lick your wounds afterwards.

Offline Grysalp

• Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
  • Oudtshoorn
« Reply #248 on: June 11, 2011, 10:07:59 pm »
R --- " bliksem, wadefok ryk so....  ??? "   Ys----" uhmm.......dag oud enkel  :mwink: "

:imaposer:  :peepwall:

Nou wat is daai Enkel waarvan julle so kort kort praat  ???  ::)  :peepwall:

Offline Grysalp

• Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
  • Oudtshoorn
« Reply #249 on: June 11, 2011, 10:15:33 pm »
Sorry for the late contribution guys but I unfortunately put the Dakkie down with dire consequences barely a week after the Bash.  Managed to do myself an open fracture of the left leg 8mm above the ankle resulting in 2 pins and a plate to be fitted, which will undoubtedly affect the Beemer's fuel consumption.  But after 5 days in hospital I'm mercifully back online - as Krukkewyn rather than Pikkewyn ..... !   The injury does not hurt as much as the thought of what I managed to do to my equipment though - my boot had to be cut open to get it off my foot which was at that stage sitting at right angles to my leg whilst the same fate befell my riding trousers.  More depressingly though - I fear the Dakar might be terminal.....

Reason for me detailing my misfortune on THIS thread is not only to make BigDom feel slightly better  but also because of all of the new friendships that I have forged on this, which was my first Bash.  To all the fantastic Dogs who had the misfortune of meeting me for the first time at the Bash - a moerse big THANX for all the companionship, fun 'n games and belly-aching laughter that I experienced.  I sincerely hope to see you all again soon.

You see, the value of such friendships are not lost on me because it is through this forum that I met and rode with such wonderful people like DirtCopper, McSpanner (and his lovely lady Ranel), Oom Pad and Dusty who were with me on my fateful ride and all of whom refused lo leave my side after the crash - without consideration to their own agenda's and possible discomfort. Their reassuring presence and assistance helped me to stay calm and focused in that dark hour or so until I got to the hospital.  And even then the medical staff had to fight them off, wanting to watch over me whilst in theatre!

Watty, to you and your team a very huge thanks for a fantastic weekend superbly organised.  Although this was my first, by all accounts you just manage to outdo yourself year after year.  If this is indeed so,  next year's could be SCARY dude!  I wish to apologise if McSpanner, DirtCopper and myself stressed you out by arriving so long after nightfall on Friday but we just could not leave BigDom alone on that mountain man.  I'm sure you'll understand.  Please feel free to ping me should you need a little sponsorship for next years OK?

To LetsGoFishing - pleasure meeting you and thanks for the ride there.  To GrysAlp and Horsepower, likewise in meeting you for the first time and the ride back.  To all my George Co-Dogs:   sommer weereens net 'n moerse dankie vir julle gesellige en grappige samesyn die naweek.

Nou wat nou? Is jy by die huis. Pm my jou adres, sel # ens. Bring die klogoed Maan koshuis toe dan kom kap ek 'n es daa by jou

Offline Gert_GS_650

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
« Reply #250 on: June 11, 2011, 11:46:48 pm »
Seems like this was a BMW club gathering with a few illegal entries ( and a few illegal substances too if I have a look at that syringe ) :P
Hope you guys enjoyed it , wish I could have been there

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #251 on: June 12, 2011, 10:14:52 am »
Bd Glad to hear only2 weeks left. Must be looking forward to ride again. Any serious damage to the monster?

No just a bit of road rash - nothing serious but will need two hands to put right!  :D
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701 Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

Offline Ball and Chain

• Formerly Die Hoof Ouderling. Now back to his old self
  • Bike: Honda XR125L
  • Honda xpress
« Reply #252 on: June 12, 2011, 06:56:58 pm »
R --- " bliksem, wadefok ryk so....  ??? "   Ys----" uhmm.......dag oud enkel  :mwink: "

:imaposer:  :peepwall:

Nou wat is daai Enkel waarvan julle so kort kort praat  ???  ::)  :peepwall:

Jy het ons mos geleer van die enkel wat soos snoek ruik ::)

Honda Xpress

Offline Watty

• RIP 29-07-2011
« Reply #253 on: June 20, 2011, 09:53:26 pm »
NOTICE

Was informed today by the owner of the Baviaanskloof Lodge that a pair of quality spectacles was found recently at the camping site where the 2011 EC Bash was hosted in May.  These spectacles are definitely expensive prescription jobbies and appear to be bi-focals.

So, if any one lost their spectacles during the bash, please contact either me or Fluid.

Offline edgy

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
    • A Stone's Throw Bed & Breakfast
« Reply #254 on: June 21, 2011, 06:41:16 am »
NOTICE

Was informed today by the owner of the Baviaanskloof Lodge that a pair of quality spectacles was found recently at the camping site where the 2011 EC Bash was hosted in May.  These spectacles are definitely expensive prescription jobbies and appear to be bi-focals.

So, if any one lost their spectacles during the bash, please contact either me or Fluid.

Hows he going to read this? :biggrin:
www.astonesthrow.co.za

BEER..."I drink it when I`m happy or when I`m sad. I drink it when I`m alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. Trifle with it if I`m not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise, I never touch it - unless I`m thirsty"

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #255 on: June 21, 2011, 07:19:21 am »
In hindsight I think I lost my foresight before I even got there! can't be mine (... my TV aerial comes off my wrist tomorrow!  ;D)

Online Skipskop

• ;-)
« Reply #256 on: June 21, 2011, 10:19:45 pm »
NOTICE

Me me me :-[ ---you got a phone number for me Watty.

" Of all the things I lost in life, what I miss the most, is my mind"
DRZ 400 E ,1200GS WR450- KLR650 Side-car
Yamaha CV80 Beluga
"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing"
"Old age is not for the inexperienced" "If you haven't grown up by age 50 , you don`t have to"

Offline Watty

• RIP 29-07-2011
« Reply #257 on: June 22, 2011, 04:23:29 pm »
NOTICE

Me me me :-[ ---you got a phone number for me Watty.

PM send!

Trust you are able to see the letters and read the message, ou pl .....   :ricky:

Offline Vis Arend

• It's not how fast you start, it's how long you endure.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XR650L
« Reply #258 on: June 22, 2011, 05:33:20 pm »
 :laughing4: :laughing4: :laughing4: :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:

Good one Watty :thumleft:
No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the the couch
Honda XL125  -  Sold,    Honda XR200R  -  Sold,     Yamaha TT500  -  Sold,     Honda Transalp700  -  Sold,       Yamaha S10 Fast Blue  -  Sold,   Yamaha S10 Slow White  -  Sold,   Honda CRF250 Rally - To be Sold, XR650L..

Online Skipskop

• ;-)
« Reply #259 on: June 22, 2011, 11:41:48 pm »
Thanks Watty, moes die anner oor by die computer sit om te hoor. ;D
Ek`t die man in die hanne gekry en sal colleck ,baie baie dankie ouens,so van nou af is daar geen verskoning vir spell foute ni  >:D
" Of all the things I lost in life, what I miss the most, is my mind"
DRZ 400 E ,1200GS WR450- KLR650 Side-car
Yamaha CV80 Beluga
"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing"
"Old age is not for the inexperienced" "If you haven't grown up by age 50 , you don`t have to"